Elmhurst Summer Intensive 2023

Lislou

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I sent an email yesterday evening and reveived all the documents and links this morning! Thank you for letting me know. I will stay on this forum. Don't hesitate to share if you get more information and I will do the same.

My daughter is super excited about the schedule.

• Like 1

Just wanted to say that a student of mine attended senior school last year,  when she was 14 and had a fabulous time!  Literally enjoyed every minute - both from the educational point of view and from the social side!  She came back so motivated!!!

• Like 1

On 18/05/2023 at 14:27, Dance*is*life said:

Just wanted to say that a student of mine attended senior school last year,  when she was 14 and had a fabulous time!  Literally enjoyed every minute - both from the educational point of view and from the social side!  She came back so motivated!!!

Thank you for your testimony. My daughter is 14 too and is looking forward to it. As we are French, not only is she excited about attending great ballet classes but also meeting students from different horizons and improve her English skills.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
54 minutes ago, Adagio123 said:

My DDs first time attending the Junior Intensive this year. Which faculty has been there in previous years? Is it Elmhurst teaching staff or do they get external people in? Do we find out who it will be?

It says on the Elmhurst website that the intensives are taken by Elmhurst Artistic Staff and guest teachers so probably a mix.

I've no idea who the guest teachers will be but this is the current artistic faculty:

https://elmhurstballetschool.org/en/about/our-people/

It's been a few years but when my eldest did the junior summer school, it was always taught by the school's staff.  Senior summer school is mainly taught by members of BRB.  My younger DD is going this summer and I expect they will be fully taught by school staff, with a couple of members of BRB coming in to do a Q&A session on one of the evenings.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Hello everyone,

I have a question for those who have already taken part in Elmhurst SI. In the timetable that we received a few weeks ago, they mention "Snacks available at bistro" during the morning and afternoon breaks. Do you know if they are included in the price or not? Also, they say that the students can bring a little money for the tuck shop. My question is How much money would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

7 hours ago, French ballet said:

Hello everyone,

I have a question for those who have already taken part in Elmhurst SI. In the timetable that we received a few weeks ago, they mention "Snacks available at bistro" during the morning and afternoon breaks. Do you know if they are included in the price or not? Also, they say that the students can bring a little money for the tuck shop. My question is How much money would you recommend?

Thanks for your help.

My daughter is attending and i will probably give her £5-£10 tuck money. I would imagine the snacks are included as they will be hungry between meals so the snacks will keep them going 

On 10/07/2023 at 14:28, French ballet said:

Hello everyone,

Thanks for your help.

snacks were included when i went (it was typically a smoothie and a biscuit), I didn’t need more than £5 for tuck, it was only available one night when I went and it was just an ice cream for about £1.50 

On 10/07/2023 at 22:56, Adagio123 said:

My daughter is attending and i will probably give her £5-£10 tuck money. I would imagine the snacks are included as they will be hungry between meals so the snacks will keep them going 

Thank you. I hope your daughter will have a great time. Maybe I'll see you there on the first day. 🙂

9 hours ago, ba11erina said:

snacks were included when i went (it was typically a smoothie and a biscuit), I didn’t need more than £5 for tuck, it was only available one night when I went and it was just an ice cream for about £1.50 

Ok that's very helpful. Thank you very much.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I hope the seniors had a lovely time! We are getting ready for the junior SI next week but I was surprised to hear that mobile phones were not authorised. My DD was keen to take hers and I must admit I'm a little nervous that I can't contact her. From looking at social media, I assume that the seniors were allowed their phones? 

9 hours ago, Bluepineapple said:

I hope the seniors had a lovely time! We are getting ready for the junior SI next week but I was surprised to hear that mobile phones were not authorised. My DD was keen to take hers and I must admit I'm a little nervous that I can't contact her. From looking at social media, I assume that the seniors were allowed their phones? 

Hello,

my daughter has just come back from senior summer school and mobile phones were allowed but there is a note at the end of the kit list saying that they are not recommended for junior students but if they bring one, it will be collected before bedtime.

Is it no phones at all or just phones to be handed in overnight? As above, phones handed in overnight is normal at some of the vocational schools so that’s not surprising in itself. 

If it’s no phones at all then that’s a bit unexpected (and unusual) but I would also say that another summer school

we attended this year were cracking down on phone use throughout the day too. It wasn’t a blanket ban but phones had to be handed in before each class as well as overnight. This was towards the end of the summer and the rules had been different in previous weeks so I can only assume it was due to people not complying with the rules earlier on. 

Elmhurst don’t allow the lower school pupils to have their phones during the day.  They get it for short amount of time in the mornings and then again when they finish school and hand in before bed.  This was implemented Sept last year. I guess they are doing this for summer school too.

I'm also getting ready to take my younger DD up for the summer school today.  She will be taking her mobile as per the original email we received and is expecting to have to hand it in at night etc.  She's used to doing this at home anyway but wants the security of knowing she can contact us in the early evening without having to wait her turn on the school phone.

My daughter also has her phone in her bag. This is first time away boarding without family so wanted to know she could contact us if she wants to.

Hope everyone has an amazing time this week.

Edited by greycat