Elmhurst Young Dancers 2023

SplitSoul

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd is a current yr 5 in Birmingham. There were definitely new children start in September and I know there have been children that have left. We have a friend who started yr 6 this yr too so I would definitely encourage you to go for it. My dd is really enjoying her time there xx

• Thanks 2

On 07/03/2023 at 11:04, Laburnum1 said:

Hi my daughter is for yr 5 wondered if it’s actually worth is as if the yr4 children automatically move into year 5 I imagine there aren’t many spaces .

Yes it’s worth auditioning there are usually some spaces x 

Edited by Dancermom
  • Thanks 1

I loved Elmhurst Young Dancers when I was there. Each September there were four or five new children. Young Dancers classes consist of (or did when I was there) a 90-min ballet class followed by an hour of jazz (in yr 5 there was also Exercise.) There is a 15-min break between each class. The ballet classes were held in Studios 3, 4 or 5; exercise in 4 or 5, and jazz in studios 1 or 6. We rarely used Studio 7 because it was smaller. Teachers were lovely. I learnt so much at Elmhurst. It's not the right place for me anymore, but I love to write stories about my times as an Associate 🙂 

Good luck to you and your child with the result.

On 11/03/2023 at 20:22, Harriet said:

I loved Elmhurst Young Dancers when I was there. Each September there were four or five new children. Young Dancers classes consist of (or did when I was there) a 90-min ballet class followed by an hour of jazz (in yr 5 there was also Exercise.) There is a 15-min break between each class. The ballet classes were held in Studios 3, 4 or 5; exercise in 4 or 5, and jazz in studios 1 or 6. We rarely used Studio 7 because it was smaller. Teachers were lovely. I learnt so much at Elmhurst. It's not the right place for me anymore, but I love to write stories about my times as an Associate 🙂 

Good luck to you and your child with the result.

Thanks for the reply the audition has been postponed due to the snow so isn’t until mid April now but will give it a go .

• 3 weeks later...
On 07/03/2023 at 17:19, Firecracker said:

My dd is a current yr 5 in Birmingham. There were definitely new children start in September and I know there have been children that have left. We have a friend who started yr 6 this yr too so I would definitely encourage you to go for it. My dd is really enjoying her time there xx

Do they still do the jazz classes? I thought I read somewhere that they don’t do them anymore. Also DD would be in Manchester if she gets in so it might be different to Birmingham 

7 hours ago, B.wightman1 said:

Do they still do the jazz classes? I thought I read somewhere that they don’t do them anymore. Also DD would be in Manchester if she gets in so it might be different to Birmingham 

No jazz for the time she's been there which is a real shame. We were really hoping they would pick it back up.

2 hours ago, B.wightman1 said:

@Firecracker ah that is a shame. I’ve just put her application in this morning. One month til auditions! 

How much are the fees for the year? Can’t find it on the website!! 

This year's was three payments of £126. Best of luck to your dd, the audition is lots of fun in itself,  so whatever the outcome it's a lovely experience. 🤞 xx

2 hours ago, Firecracker said:

This year's was three payments of £126. Best of luck to your dd, the audition is lots of fun in itself,  so whatever the outcome it's a lovely experience. 🤞 xx

That was my thinking! I’m not sure she’s ready as she’s so young for her year, but thought it would be a fun way to introduce the audition process in a low pressure way! 🥰

A lot of people have said they do frog pose on their back. I have NO idea what this is!! Do you? 😂😂

• 3 weeks later...
9 hours ago, Bluepineapple said:

Is anyone auditioning for the extended young dancers? I was wondering whether you had received an acknowledgement email for your application? I applied a few weeks ago but only just realised I had no acknowledgement that it had been received. Thank you 😊 

I applied for my DD and received a confirmation that stated the year group I had applied for etc and it said to keep an eye on emails for any updates

Still waiting for audition times. Website says it is on 20th May

56 minutes ago, Dancer20 said:

I applied for my DD and received a confirmation that stated the year group I had applied for etc and it said to keep an eye on emails for any updates

Still waiting for audition times. Website says it is on 20th May

Thank you so much, I'll email today to check that they have received my application.

Hi all, I applied for my daughter in Manchester, audition is 29th April, closing date 24th. Also received a confirmation of the application at the time of submission, but I haven’t received anything further. Do they normally send audition details out so late? Has anyone else received anything for Manchester yet? Thanks

21 minutes ago, Bluepineapple said:

I've emailed and they were very quick to answer and confirmed they had received my daughter's application. They said information would be sent "in due course". 

Glad you got it sorted, what year is your DC auditioning for? 

6 hours ago, Dancer20 said:

Glad you got it sorted, what year is your DC auditioning for? 

Thanks, she's auditioning for Y9, although I got the impression from reading their website that there is only one class for Y9 to 12? Or do they train in year groups like the younger ones? If there is only one class, there can't be many places available... What year is your DC auditioning for?

52 minutes ago, Bluepineapple said:

Thanks, she's auditioning for Y9, although I got the impression from reading their website that there is only one class for Y9 to 12? Or do they train in year groups like the younger ones? If there is only one class, there can't be many places available... What year is your DC auditioning for?

My DD is auditioning for Yr10. The website states yr 7-12. I can’t imagine they would have such a huge age range in one class. My DD is a current RBS Mid Associate and at her centre they have a class mixed yr7,8 and 9. It is so hard for the teacher (although she does a fantastic job) 

Not sure on spaces, I guess it depends how many are leaving 🤷‍♀️

7 minutes ago, Dancer20 said:

My DD is auditioning for Yr10. The website states yr 7-12. I can’t imagine they would have such a huge age range in one class. My DD is a current RBS Mid Associate and at her centre they have a class mixed yr7,8 and 9. It is so hard for the teacher (although she does a fantastic job) 

Not sure on spaces, I guess it depends how many are leaving 🤷‍♀️

I did wonder... it states that the class is 12.45 til 2.45pm, so unless they are all happening at the same time, there's only 1 group? Y7 and 8 audition separately from 9 and above though, so perhaps 2? If a seasonned Young Dancers' parent has the answer, I'd love to know! 

13 hours ago, Bluepineapple said:

I did wonder... it states that the class is 12.45 til 2.45pm, so unless they are all happening at the same time, there's only 1 group? Y7 and 8 audition separately from 9 and above though, so perhaps 2? If a seasonned Young Dancers' parent has the answer, I'd love to know! 

They have multiple studios so could have a few Extended classes happening at the same time.

it seems that the younger year groups are separate 👍