NEWS - Laura Morera to retire as Principal dancer of The Royal Ballet after 27 years

2 hours ago, Emeralds said:

Ooh, we are having a great trip down memory lane. I only saw Ballet for All on tv, with Peter Brinson presenting, but it was fab- Margaret Barbieri as Franz!!! Demonstrating how the premiere of Coppelia had a female dancer, Eugenie Fiocre, dancing the male lead (no lifts obviously). I much prefer a male Franz, of course,  but those Ballet for All episodes were brilliant. David Blair appearing as Colas, the role he originated. Fun times.

How I wish I could see all the episodes.  I came across this some time ago and was also pleased to finally see some footage of the beautiful Jan Francis dancing before she concentrated on her acting career.

https://archive.org/details/howballetwassaved

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest oncnp
6 minutes ago, Ondine said:

Not strictly Cinderella but as we have discussed Laura Morero:

Also in the links on Friday. And you might want to check your spelling 😀

Edited by oncnp

I’m finding this thread fascinatingly educational as I have minimal knowledge of the technicalities.

But what I do know is that I have appreciated Laura’s performances so much for so long - with especially fond memories of her Anastasia, Natalia Petrovna and a Kitri long ago - and will miss her as a performer enormously.

As for the tone of her multiple interviews varying, it does often depend on which doors the person asking the questions opens and how the elements of an answer are picked up on (or not). But I applaud Laura for her honesty in admitting that everything in the RB garden has not been lovely for her. And, of course, it is exactly that kind of ‘openness’ which has informed the characterisations we have valued from her on stage.

• Like 11

Mods - please could there be a separate thread for Cecchetti etc ? It’s not that it’s not interesting but the banner headline is about Laura Morera’s retirement from the stage and the ‘breakaway’ discussion seems to have taken over now.

• Like 4

This thread has branched off in many different directions.  The posts covering the Cecchetti method have largely been moved into this thread:

Apologies if the split means that other threads no longer make as much sense!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, alison said:

This thread has branched off in many different directions.  The posts covering the Cecchetti method have largely been moved into this thread:

Apologies if the split means that other threads no longer make as much sense!

If they feature my posts they probably made not much sense anyhow! 😐

Good to have a thread of its own however.

A space has (miraculously) become available in my schedule for Laura’s last show on Sat 17 June so I’ve booked it, despite not liking any of the ballets on the programme, apart from the McGregor which hasn’t been

premiered by RB yet, so I don’t have an opinion on it for the moment. It could turn out to be a huge hit!  Am purely going for Laura’s send off, to take a look at the new work, and because I know Laura will be powerful and moving in Anastasia Act 3. Aww, I  wish she weren’t retiring so soon. (Am still holding out hope that we can see her as Juliet in a production somewhere at some point!)

Edited by Emeralds
  • Like 3

3 hours ago, alison said:

I've just looked at my scheduled events, and realise that the first and last nights of the triple bill are scheduled to be filmed.  So, fingers crossed, we may get Morera's Anastasia?

If it's being filmed for streaming I just hope we don't have to wait as long as we have for the Ashton triple bil.

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
8 minutes ago, JohnS said:

I thought I’d refresh this thread as we approach Laura’ Morera’s final London performance this evening - some fabulous reflections and very good to re-read.

Emeralds has started a separate thread already!

• Like 2

(Quoted from Bluebird’s post on another thread)

Posted Tuesday at 10:13 

It seems that Laura Morera's debut was in 2008 rather than in 2011.  I've continued to search the Wayback Machine but have been unable to find the Manon thread for that year.  I have, however, found some Manon reviews, from that particular run, in the November 2008 Magazine.  Your review, Alison, is of two other casts:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081215173931/http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_08/nov08/ap_rev_rb_1008.htm

In the same Magazine, there is a glowing review of Laura's debut, written by Sim and her husband Ged:

http://web.archive.org/web/20081215174604/http://www.ballet.co.uk/magazines/yr_08/nov08/sd_rev_royal_ballet_1008.htm

Edited Tuesday at 10:19 by Bluebird

Just managed to finish reading these reviews that @Bluebird (thank you) found from 2008, what lovely reviews from @alison,  @Sim, and Sim’s husband. Fab! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 3