Down's Syndrome and dance?

alison

I recently met a young woman with Down's who always seems to grab the slightest opportunity to dance around the place, and that got me wondering how much provision there is for people with Down's to do dance.  Clearly there is some, as a quick Google will show, and I recall seeing dancers with Down's somewhere in the past, but I don't know how widespread it is - and for that matter how much the dance needs to be tailored to the individual depending on how their condition affects them.

If you'd rather PM me, do feel free (although my inbox is VERY full!)

I have a friend with Downs who went off to residential college and danced for Kaleidoscope, who are a LD company. He had previously taken part in dance classes with his age group and had a helper just for him. There are quite a few companies out there. Candoco being the obvious one. There are more opportunities now than when I danced 20 years back…👍👍

• Like 1

From personal experience, although there are some notable exceptions, there is very little provision in terms of dance classes suitable for children and young people with learning disabilities - many dance schools aren’t particularly inclusive, or simply aren’t aware of how to tailor their teaching or provide additional support.   It would be great if there was more out there! 

• Like 3

I must be an exception then 🤣 as Ive never said no to anyone with any learning needs! I have had a profoundly deaf child (now at university) and at the moment I have children with autism, ADHD and other learning difficulties. I never say no to anyone! I’ve even had a child with cerabryl palsy! She tried ballet and modern and was doing really! Because she was in school with some of the other girls she was just accepted! We just adapt! 
The mums I have (2 in particular who have 2 children each with different learning needs) can’t thank me enough for taking them because they are not always accepted anywhere else 😢

I haven’t had a Down’s syndrome child yet, but they certainly wouldn’t be turned away 💗

Edited by Dancing unicorn
  • Like 11

Great to see interest in this subject. My 16 year old dd has Down's Syndrome and has been doing jazz dance with a local dance school for about 4 years now. She is super flexible (often the case with children with Down's Syndrome) which is a plus, and enjoys being part of this mainstream activity. She took a dance exam specially designed for people with learning disabilities and has been in every dance school show. Her teachers there have always been very inclusive and welcoming. It's also (in my view) good for the other kids to see her in action and as part of the group. Everyone learns from such experiences! 

• Like 6

• 1 year later...