Upper school accommodation costs

margarite

We’re deciding this month which upper schools DD will be applying for and I need help from current parents to try and work out how much we’ll need to pay on top of fees ( I have worked out our Dada contribution if DD is lucky enough to get one). I’d be really grateful if anyone who has children at the following schools ( or who have recently left) could DM me with roughly how much rent/food etc cost per month. 

Tring

NBS

RCS

KS Dance

Hammond

BTUK

thanks in advance 🙏

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, margarite said:

We’re deciding this month which upper schools DD will be applying for and I need help from current parents to try and work out how much we’ll need to pay on top of fees ( I have worked out our Dada contribution if DD is lucky enough to get one). I’d be really grateful if anyone who has children at the following schools ( or who have recently left) could DM me with roughly how much rent/food etc cost per month. 

Tring

NBS

RCS

KS Dance

Hammond

BTUK

thanks in advance 🙏

Hi. NBS don’t provide their own accommodation. Many of the pupils source self catering flats either through UniteStudents or Dwell in properties in and around the school. 
Prices do vary depending on the flat itself. Number of bedrooms en-suite or shared. All the current pricing can be found on their website. New Medlock is popular, Parkway Gate is currently being refurbished so may be available for Sept 2023. Artisan House prices reflect that this is a new build compared to other properties uS operate. 
All that aside the 3 mentioned are no more than 6 min walk if that from The Dance House, home to NBS.
Hope that helps.   

ps. Early bird rates (reduced rate) are normally available for uS properties if booked early in the calendar yr, can’t remember the exact dates.  

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Other costs to bear in mind: 

- compulsory healthcare /insurance /physiotherapy (varies widely)

- uniform/shoes and essential equipment 

- travel (eg public transport to/from studios if relevant, or travel home for visits, or your travel to visit them)

- whether accommodation includes bills/utilities/contents insurance/tv licence 

- whether tenancy is payable term-time only or 41 weeks or full year

- whether fully catered for or buying/cooking own meals

- initial cost of equipping them to go, especially if not in catered accommodation (all kitchen/cooking/eating equipment, bedding if different size bed from home, room decoration…)

It all adds up massively!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I am really confused about Dada awards. Are they for tuition fees or maintenance? If you earn the top category are you expected to fund the whole lot? I am guessing that ENBS could be £30 k a year once fees (19k) plus accommodation is added together? Would appreciate an explanation of this if anyone knows. 

29 minutes ago, Kerfuffle said:

I am really confused about Dada awards. Are they for tuition fees or maintenance? If you earn the top category are you expected to fund the whole lot? I am guessing that ENBS could be £30 k a year once fees (19k) plus accommodation is added together? Would appreciate an explanation of this if anyone knows. 

The DaDA is for the fees and  maintenance but unless your family income is less than £33k you won’t be eligible for the maintenance component.  From £33k to £90k there is a sliding scale of contribution.  So yes if you are not eligible it will be at least £30k a year.    

• 2 months later...
On 09/09/2022 at 21:47, margarite said:

Tring

NBS

RCS

KS Dance

Hammond

BTUK

thanks in advance 🙏

Hi

would you mind sharing this info at all with me? We’re just starting to consider where DD could look at auditioning next year. 

Prices may have changed since we were auditioning 2 years ago but this was the information we had.

Elmhurst- dada plus school contribution meant it cost around £8000

KS dance- dada meant our costs would have been 2000 fees and then house share was around £400 per month plus food/utilities 

Central- fees paid by loan but nearest student accommodation was £18000 plus food. Cheaper student halls in Aldgate but then need to add in Oystercard.

Kings- some scholarships available. Flats nearby for £400 pm plus food/utilities 

BTUK- fees paid by student loan. 2 share a flat £500 per month plus food.

Moorland-a few scholarships/discounts otherwise £26000

Tring- dada, some MDS, then accommodation fees- not cheap

RBS-MDS

LSC-16000 fees. 6k paid by student finance. Several scholarships available. Local halls 7.5-9000 including food.

Edinburgh festival-9k fees, some small discounts available, up to 2k if from Scotland and halls generally around 8-10k excluding food.

Hammond-dada and boarding around 13000.

ENB-dada, local halls around 12000 including breakfast.

Hope that helps.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Due to my location I used to host a lot of students, same as my DD was hosted in USA during her trips and this would be an option I would look out for if in the position again. I charged £300 per month including meals and being their "step mum". There is a lot of families with spare rooms around.
But this would be for someone like my DD. She prefered to be outside of the ballet bubble, she had enough ballet for the day, she wanted to come home and change the scenery. 

• Like 2

On 06/12/2022 at 17:33, Mummy twinkle toes said:

Prices may have changed since we were auditioning 2 years ago but this was the information we had.

Elmhurst- dada plus school contribution meant it cost around £8000

KS dance- dada meant our costs would have been 2000 fees and then house share was around £400 per month plus food/utilities 

Central- fees paid by loan but nearest student accommodation was £18000 plus food. Cheaper student halls in Aldgate but then need to add in Oystercard.

Kings- some scholarships available. Flats nearby for £400 pm plus food/utilities 

BTUK- fees paid by student loan. 2 share a flat £500 per month plus food.

Moorland-a few scholarships/discounts otherwise £26000

Tring- dada, some MDS, then accommodation fees- not cheap

RBS-MDS

LSC-16000 fees. 6k paid by student finance. Several scholarships available. Local halls 7.5-9000 including food.

Edinburgh festival-9k fees, some small discounts available, up to 2k if from Scotland and halls generally around 8-10k excluding food.

Hammond-dada and boarding around 13000.

ENB-dada, local halls around 12000 including breakfast.

Hope that helps.

Thank you, this is really helpful