Let’s hear it for the Lionesses

Scheherezade

Yesterday saw what was quite possibly the first complete football match I’ve watched on TV since that momentous occasion in 1966. And what a match! Let’s hear it for the fabulous Lionesses who showed the grossly overpaid men’s team the true meaning of ‘football’s coming home’. Just wonderful, girls!

• Like 6

Yes a terrific performance and such a great atmosphere in the stadium and out how wonderful for them!!  Very heart warming scenes …….And NO drunken behaviour ….so it can be done especially as have just read that it was the largest crowd at Wembley for any football match!! 
Have never really watched a woman’s football match in the same way before but once into the game found was berating and praising players and moaning at Refs decisions in the same way as any other big football match! 
I did have to leave the room for a while  when Germany equalised so late …I thought oh no here we go… but made it back in time to see the second goal! 
One of favourite incidental bits was Alessia Russo trying to read the Germans note  over her shoulder …there have been some really hilarious comments on this on Facebook. 

Great stuff…onwards and upwards. 

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, LinMM said:

such a great atmosphere in the stadium and out how wonderful for them!!  Very heart warming scenes …….And NO drunken behaviour ….so it can be done especially as have just read that it was the largest crowd at Wembley for any football match!! 

A  triumph and a tribute to everyone who attended. 

• Like 2

As they say....if you want something done, give it to a woman!!  :)

Many congratulations to the Lionesses.  It is particularly sweet that they beat Germany (who were actually very gracious in defeat).

• Like 4

Congratulations indeed to them.

I came out of last night's Prom totally unaware of the result (unless, perhaps someone can confirm, that was what the three cheers were for).  Got back to the railway terminus and saw a lot of football fans, not looking over the moon and being pretty subdued, so I assumed England must have lost.  Finally got home around 11 pm and did my usual news catchup on the red button headlines on the BBC.  Not a dicky bird.  Oh dear, it must have been a really bad loss if it hasn't been mentioned, I thought.  Went over to the sports headlines - and found out they'd won the thing!  Couldn't believe the lack of reaction to it :( 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, alison said:

I came out of last night's Prom totally unaware of the result (unless, perhaps someone can confirm, that was what the three cheers were for).  Got back to the railway terminus and saw a lot of football fans, not looking over the moon and being pretty subdued, so I assumed England must have lost.  Finally got home around 11 pm and did my usual news catchup on the red button headlines on the BBC.  Not a dicky bird.  Oh dear, it must have been a really bad loss if it hasn't been mentioned, I thought.  Went over to the sports headlines - and found out they'd won the thing!  Couldn't believe the lack of reaction to it :( 

Because it wasn't the men's team!!  Much more fuss on the news today.

8 minutes ago, alison said:

It is indeed what the three cheers were for.

I knew the result after the Birtwistle (because my phone had buzzed with a "BBC breaking news" alert).  I'm not sure what news you were checking but it was the lead story on the TV and radio news when I got home.

• Thanks 1

As I said, the headlines on the red button.  Not sure whether people with Smart TVs still have such a thing, but it's a quick way to see if anything of interest has happened in about 5 seconds flat.