Ballet Boost Auditions

Ballerinamama

My daughter (9) is keen to try the Ballet Boost audition. She is Grade 2/3 standard, recently receiving a distinction for her exam. She loves ballet.  My question is, what is the likelihood of her being offered a place? Is the standard very high? Are there many places available? 

In addition, we don’t have any aspirations of her joining a vocational school, she just loves dance and wants to improve her technique. Is BB the right place for her? Or is it more for children who aspire to the vocational route?

I would welcome any thoughts. Thank you! 

Edited by Ballerinamama

My daughter did BB last year when she was in y6. It was absolutely brilliant. They will place successful auditionees in a class based on their ability not their age. If she fancies it, I would say 100% give it a try, you have nothing to lose. It was such a fun programme. She also did Elmhurst young dancers and they were very different and she much preferred BB. The work was challenging and exciting. Throughout lockdowns, they provided excellent classs on zoom and I really felt that they genuinely cared about their dancers. 

My daughter joined BB in September and absolutely loves it, as said above they get placed on ability not age. Her teacher is amazing - the right level of encouraging and challenging - and she’s learned a lot since starting. I’d say go for it if she’s keen, there’s nothing to lose! 

My DD did Ballet Boost for a while but sadly had too many other Sunday commitments so we had to give it up.  They have some amazing teacher’s, James is particularly good!

I don’t think it’s especially over subscribed though so not too competitive for places.  

They assess them and move them around based on ability rather than age.

They don’t push the vocational route but they have extra offerings  like workshops, ABA classes etc if you want to go for that.

It might be worth doing the audition for the experience and to have a closer look. You don’t have to take the place if you are offered it?

Edited by Elbows

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

Hello. Long-time lurker here! I hope it's ok to post on this old thread? If not, perhaps the mods could kindly move it! 

My DD is considering auditioning for Ballet Boost Associates. She will be in year 6 next year, so I feel we are a bit late with the whole associates thing but she is getting more and more serious about her dancing, so I feel that now is the right time to look at other opportunities for her. 

Can anyone give me any indication on what the standard is at Ballet Boost and what they are looking for? My DD is definitely not looking to go to vocational school in year 7, although it is not something she is ruling out for later down the line. She has lovely technique, great feet, great musicality and a lovely sense of performance. She tends to do well at festivals, placing more often than not. What she doesn't have is flat turnout (or anywhere near!) and she doesn't have the classical ballet body. Do BB offer places based on physical attributes (like RBS do) or would they look at a strong dancer with potential (but not necessarily the perfect 'ballet body')?

Thanks in advance for any advice. 

Timetable and class length depends on the centre and the level. I think London has more classes per term than the other centres, and junior classes are shorter than mids, which are shorter than seniors.

Edited by Horsellian
Typo

Absolutely worth it, all shapes and sizes. They also allocate classes based on ability more than age, so that opens it out to more dancers without diluting the standard of the classes. I've had two DDs go, one went in y6 and then went to vocational school y7, the other was at vocational but left and started BB in year 11. Both enjoyed it so much, more so than other associates. There's a really refreshing openness about it all, they talk to the dancers about different routes into dance careers and provide really positive but helpful feedback through assessments. 

10 hours ago, WhatsThePointe said:

Absolutely worth it, all shapes and sizes. They also allocate classes based on ability more than age, so that opens it out to more dancers without diluting the standard of the classes. I've had two DDs go, one went in y6 and then went to vocational school y7, the other was at vocational but left and started BB in year 11. Both enjoyed it so much, more so than other associates. There's a really refreshing openness about it all, they talk to the dancers about different routes into dance careers and provide really positive but helpful feedback through assessments. 

Thank you - that's really good to hear. I have read a lot of good things on this forum about Ballet Boost and these comments are really helpful. I think we will definitely go for it and audition. 

• 1 month later...

Anyone know what time the classes are ona Sunday for Ballet Boost associates in Manchester?  DD is 7 going into year 4. She’s only in ballet grade 1 right now. She’s been doing 2 classes a week this year and has come on so much, so looking at auditioning for associates. Doubt she’ll get any this year as I don’t really know if she’s technically ready, but thought it would be good to get use to the process of auditioning and just focus on the fun experience! 

• 1 month later...

Hi , just checking if anyone else has their audition results from Devon yet ? 
we are still waiting. Strangely we had an email yesterday saying “Dear Parent, we notice you didn’t attend … we did !  ( bit worrying!) And emailed straight back giving or DD’s group and number … to be told - thank you for correcting …. results are out soon.  Have had nothing since.