Doing ballet in gym leggings?

alison

So, this year I decided I'd finally ditch the ordinary supermarket leggings I'd been doing my ballet class in and get some "proper" sports ones.  However, I'm not sure this has been the right choice.  They weren't marketed as compression leggings, but still when I put them on I was aware of my knee (especially the supposedly "good" one) feeling squeezed.  It didn't make plié-ing very easy/comfortable, or anything else involving bending the knee, for that matter.  So I thought I'd ask here: is there a potential problem with using gym leggings, including possible injury, or does my body, especially my joints, simply need to get used to the concept of being held rather more tightly than it's used to?

Hmmm.... interesting. I’ve womdered about this as I looked at how fab the contouring created a nice look from top gym brands.... but then I feel how strong the elastine properties are to do this & would indeed worry they’d restrict knee movements & don’t think I’d be happy doing ballet in them. I personally go for a pair of high dernier convertible ballet tights under a cheap pair of black leggings or a second pair of opaque black footless dance tights; I feel more supported & creates a better look than leggings alone I think but don’t feel restricted at all.

good luck! 

• Like 1

Some nice bamboo leggings would be nice and free and soft.

There’s loads of nice ribbed stretch leggings too in all the fashion shops in pretty balletic colours. Seems to be the trend.

I feel the same when I wear proper sports leggings to go for a run, simply no go. Too restrictive. I’ve taken to wearing my daughter’s black warm up pants which are nice and free.

Agree with Peanut68 that you can’t go wrong with opaque black footless tights, in a large size so plenty stretch.

• Like 2

Hi Alison, can’t comment on ballet specifically, but as a keen gym class attendee for the past 15 + years, I certainly find the worst sports leggings for gym wear are the compression ones designed for running.  They are thicker and have compression, so awful wearing to aerobic classes - even the nice sweaty betty designer ones I find can be too thick - albeit very flattering.  I have different legging for different classes - nike / reebok “dry wear” look for “breathable” do thinner versions which allow for move movement.  For yoga, I like athetica - very soft and don’t ride down move while practicing all class and lovely flattering high waist - nice soft comfortable fabric I can move in - I think sweaty betty do a yoga range - next on my list to try.  I would totally recommend looking in or at John Lewis online  - they have so of much amazing selection - lovely muted pinks and flattering tones as well as classic black  - it’s worth paying a bit more as literally these kind of fabrics last years/ are very durable to wash .  So, will last years - I live in mine on just my days off too x

• Like 2

Apologies if this is advertising, Mods feel free to remove but my DS has designed and sells track pants specificially for this purpose.  He's a professional ballet dancer and if you look at his website or instagram

https://www.instagram.com/apticsport/

https://apticsport.com/

https://fb.watch/aO8wRB3kPE/

you'll see some pictures of dancers wearing his clothing.  As it says in the bio, he wanted something he could wear both for dance and go to the gym.  The photos are genuine, him and his friends 

Obviously biased but would be grateful if you could have a look - and it might just be what you are after.  

Hoodies are cute too!

• Like 1

If you budget stretches to it or you can get a pair in the sales I would recommend Lululemon as they have a wide range of styles to suit a variety of activities including dance.  I have looked back at their website to see which ones I bought but can't recall the name.  I have been wearing them for ballet class for at least five years and they are still lovely to wear so were worth the investment.  Staff are great and provide advice if you can get top a store.

• Like 2

17 hours ago, alison said:

It didn't make plié-ing very easy/comfortable, or anything else involving bending the knee, for that matter. 

That doesn't sound so great - you really need to be able to relax your knees in a plié (a correction I received in online classes with a very good teacher - it was a revelation!). I made the mistake of staying in my pretty solid, tight gym leggings earlier this week when I had to rush straight from a weight-lifting training session (I lifted 97.5kg in a deadlift!) to a Floor barre class I do at home on Zoom. I thought I'd just stay in my gym tights, but they droop at the crotch (because the waistline isn't tight enough, despite them being a S in size, grr) and it made a lot of the movements in floor barre quite tough - I felt I was fighting my tights as well as the effort of working my turn out.

So supermarket leggings far better - softer & more pliable - I have some from Sainsbury's which are lovely & soft, and I can pull them tight at the waist, but they give my hips & knees the freedom they need. This is why proper ballet tights & leotard were invented!

Edited by Kate_N
  • Like 3

42 minutes ago, meadowblythe said:

Apologies if this is advertising, Mods feel free to remove but my DS has designed and sells track pants specificially for this purpose.  He's a professional ballet dancer and if you look at his website or instagram

https://www.instagram.com/apticsport/

https://apticsport.com/

https://fb.watch/aO8wRB3kPE/

you'll see some pictures of dancers wearing his clothing.  As it says in the bio, he wanted something he could wear both for dance and go to the gym.  The photos are genuine, him and his friends 

Obviously biased but would be grateful if you could have a look - and it might just be what you are after.  

Hoodies are cute too!

It is advertising but I've got to say you are quite right - the hoodies are super cute and a serious object of desire (even though I'm not in the least bit sporty!!).

• Like 1

Kate's experience reflects my own - not to be repeated!  I'm a bit annoyed, because there was nothing on the leggings to indicate what sort of activity they were suitable for, so I didn't think any further about it.

Anyway, I've done a bit more research on elastane contents since my original post:

- supermarket leggings: ~5%

- Class 2 compression stockings: 15%

- these leggings: 33% (!)

No wonder I was having trouble! 

• Like 4