Adult Ballet as an Absolute Beginner

Angela Essex

There’s a girl who has joined one of the classes I go to who hasn’t done any ballet for about 30 years and only did a couple of years as a child and she has the most amazing feet!!  I’m so jealous of her tendus lol! Also fascinated just how high she gets on demi pointe when doing any sort of turns. 

• Like 1

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I call myself a "dance as a second language" student haha. There are some people who dance as kids and when they come back to it as adults, they're a little creakier but still kind of able to follow the conversation and get fluent again relatively quickly because at least they know how it's supposed to sound.

As a "DSL" student, you are constantly having to translate in your head from "normal" movement to "ballet" movement and sometimes you get it backwards. As an absolute beginner you get focused on a few key words of "vocab" (e.g. grand jete, pas de chat, arabesque, pirouette) and maybe a few simple sentences (e.g. the plie combination at the barre). Your grammar isn't perfect, sometimes you put words in the wrong spot, it's almost impossible to remember the small linking words that give the sentence meaning (i.e. how on earth did she end up on the right foot I swear I did everything she did?!) and your pronunciation (i.e. technique) is quite woeful. However, if you continue to work at it, you will become well versed enough in the "language" and should be able to feel comfortable having simple conversations and ordering food at a restaurant (e.g. not feeling like a total fool in beginners class). Maybe you're willing to start trying something a bit more advanced like writing paragraphs in that language (or trying an intermediate class) or reading some novels in that language (the joy that is repertoire!). Eventually, if you work really hard, you are comfortable in most conversational settings, but hey, maybe you'll never sound like a "native speaker" and you probably can never expect to make a living off your translating skills! But you can continue to learn more and gain a more nuanced understanding of your chosen language, and that's the fun of it anyway :) 

This metaphor got a bit convoluted but what I'm really trying to say is - you don't expect to do a couple of french classes or download Duolingo and immediately be able to go to France and speak fluently! In your intermediate class you've basically jumped right into a french immersion session and if you're able to follow along without treading on your own foot, that's pretty damn impressive. And be kind to yourself, everyone is just grateful you're even trying to speak their language :) 

• Like 12

On 24/12/2021 at 14:20, Viv said:

I call myself a "dance as a second language" student haha. There are some people who dance as kids and when they come back to it as adults, they're a little creakier but still kind of able to follow the conversation and get fluent again relatively quickly because at least they know how it's supposed to sound.

As a "DSL" student, you are constantly having to translate in your head from "normal" movement to "ballet" movement and sometimes you get it backwards. As an absolute beginner you get focused on a few key words of "vocab" (e.g. grand jete, pas de chat, arabesque, pirouette) and maybe a few simple sentences (e.g. the plie combination at the barre). Your grammar isn't perfect, sometimes you put words in the wrong spot, it's almost impossible to remember the small linking words that give the sentence meaning (i.e. how on earth did she end up on the right foot I swear I did everything she did?!) and your pronunciation (i.e. technique) is quite woeful. However, if you continue to work at it, you will become well versed enough in the "language" and should be able to feel comfortable having simple conversations and ordering food at a restaurant (e.g. not feeling like a total fool in beginners class). Maybe you're willing to start trying something a bit more advanced like writing paragraphs in that language (or trying an intermediate class) or reading some novels in that language (the joy that is repertoire!). Eventually, if you work really hard, you are comfortable in most conversational settings, but hey, maybe you'll never sound like a "native speaker" and you probably can never expect to make a living off your translating skills! But you can continue to learn more and gain a more nuanced understanding of your chosen language, and that's the fun of it anyway :) 

This metaphor got a bit convoluted but what I'm really trying to say is - you don't expect to do a couple of french classes or download Duolingo and immediately be able to go to France and speak fluently! In your intermediate class you've basically jumped right into a french immersion session and if you're able to follow along without treading on your own foot, that's pretty damn impressive. And be kind to yourself, everyone is just grateful you're even trying to speak their language :) 

Aww thank you Viv! That’s a really good way of looking at things. My local class starts again after the Christmas break on 10th Jan so we will see how things go. Since I first posted I’ve joined another class (on zoom) thanks to some very kind recommendations from people on here   and am going to join a third class a week once things get started again in the new year so hopefully I’ll start to improve more soon. It’s been so encouraging how supportive people have been on here 😊 thank you 🙏 

5 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

Aww thank you Viv! That’s a really good way of looking at things. My local class starts again after the Christmas break on 10th Jan so we will see how things go. Since I first posted I’ve joined another class (on zoom) thanks to some very kind recommendations from people on here   and am going to join a third class a week once things get started again in the new year so hopefully I’ll start to improve more soon. It’s been so encouraging how supportive people have been on here 😊 thank you 🙏 

welcome down the rabbit  hole !  

• Like 1

Update: went to David Kierce’s class at Pineapple today. OMG he is so fabulous! He had the whole class simultaneously in stitches, but at the same time terrified of displeasing him. The times of his classes don’t work too well with my childcare and work commitments but by golly it’d be worth rearranging my schedule to make his classes. I left the class thinking ‘bloody hell what just happened there - that was brutal’ and at the same time ‘I loved that when can I do it again’ 😂😊 there was an excellent live pianist too which really made the class. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Update: went to David Kierce’s class at Pineapple today. OMG he is so fabulous! He had the whole class simultaneously in stitches, but at the same time terrified of displeasing him. The times of his classes don’t work too well with my childcare and work commitments but by golly it’d be worth rearranging my schedule to make his classes. I left the class thinking ‘bloody hell what just happened there - that was brutal’ and at the same time ‘I loved that when can I do it again’ 😂😊 there was an excellent live pianist too which really made the class. 

David also (in fact, mainly teaches) Mon-Wed evenings and Sundays at Central School of Ballet if that helps your schedule? The studios are also beautiful and airy. 

https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/classes-courses/adult-classes/#/events 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

David also (in fact, mainly teaches) Mon-Wed evenings and Sundays at Central School of Ballet if that helps your schedule? The studios are also beautiful and airy. 

https://www.centralschoolofballet.co.uk/classes-courses/adult-classes/#/events 

Yes it does! I can do alternate Sundays at Central it will be a bit of a schlep from Essex but sure it will be worth it.

34 minutes ago, Angela Essex said:

Yes it does! I can do alternate Sundays at Central it will be a bit of a schlep from Essex but sure it will be worth it.

I saw that you've also been taking lessons from Hannah Frost online - she teaches there too on Sundays. It's a bit of a wait after David's absolute beginners' class, but if you can take a good book then it's two birds with one trip :)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

I saw that you've also been taking lessons from Hannah Frost online - she teaches there too on Sundays. It's a bit of a wait after David's absolute beginners' class, but if you can take a good book then it's two birds with one trip :)

Yes that would be a good plan but can’t do sun pm 😭

Just now, Angela Essex said:

Yes that would be a good plan but can’t do sun pm 😭

1 hour ago, Meetmeatthebarre said:

I’m going to try and get to her Pineapple class alternate Thursday evenings instead. 

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Update: I’ve been attending my usual Monday evening class at my local school as well as Hannah Frosts Classes once a week on zoom. I signed up to Broche ballet and tried some of their pre recorded classes too. So all in all I’ve been doing around 3 classes a week of late. Sadly due to childcare and having Covid at the moment not been able to get into London to David Kierce’s class again 😭

Also I found a school 45 mins from me that teaches adults to exam standard and had my first ever private lesson there last weekend. I was quite shocked when the teacher said I could do the rad intermediate exam later this year or next year and that my feet were good (very flexible with high arches apparently - who knew) and I’d be quite capable of doing pointe work and exams at some point in the next year or two. Well you could’ve blown me over with a feather. Not sure if that sounds right to everyone on here? I’m taking it all with a big grain of salt at the moment in view of my age (45) and the fact that I’ve only been doing this since 2021. I know kids don’t go en pointe until they’ve been training for many years so 🤷‍♀️ Don’t get me wrong I’m reasonably strong and flexible for my age and have always done weights and yoga also I have hypermobility but still, I won’t lie I was shocked (in a good way) and not sure if I fully believe it. 

If I’m honest I feel like a total traitor for getting a private lesson at a different school as my local school are amazing but I know they don’t normally teach adults for exams and was too embarrassed to ask in case they laughed at me - I have such internal conflict about it though. Does that sound stupid?

Anyway it means a lot to have the support of the lovely ppl on here 😊

• Like 1

On 21/11/2021 at 11:03, Angela Essex said:

Hi Everyone!

Are there any other adult beginners on here? I’ve been going to ballet class once a week since September having never danced before in my life and am really enjoying it. Just wondering how long it takes to get any good? I’ve got better at the barre work my teacher has been doing in class but I’m still embarrassingly bad, especially when it comes to centre practice. I’m much worse than all the other ladies in the class who have returned to ballet having danced as when they were younger and I’m getting fed up of being the worst one. We are doing rad intermediate syllabus. My teacher is trying her best god bless her, she’s really taking time to explain things but there’s so much to remember and I keep mucking it up. I practice with you tube videos a few times a week in between classes but progress seems so slow. Feeling like I need some moral support or maybe just a stern talking to telling me to stop being such a whiny baby and practice more 😂 Sometimes I actually feel bad for being in the class with all these better dancers, but I’m too stubborn to quit, besides I actually love going to the class despite how rubbish I am 😂. I am really trying to improve as I don’t want to let the rest of the ladies in the class and my teacher down but I’m still sooo bad 😂 Has anyone else on here felt similar as an adult absolute beginner? 

From what I have read online, it seems one ballet class a week might not allow you to make much progress in ballet, so if you have the time, money, and physical and mental stamina and capability to do so, you might want to add at least one more ballet class a week. At the same time, if you are satisfied with taking one ballet class a week at the moment and don't want to add any more ballet classes a week, that is completely fine. I don't suggest you practice ballet without a ballet teacher's supervision, because if you practice wrong ballet technique you get "better" at dancing wrong ballet technique instead of correct ballet technique which could put you at greater risk of injury, and because if your home doesn't have flooring suitable for dance according to https://www.theballetblog.com/portfolio/the-impact-of-flooring-on-dance-injuries/ if you don't dance on a floor that is suitable for dance that could put you at increased risk of injury especially if you don't dance with proper technique which you might not as a very new beginner in ballet.

If you feel the level of the ballet course you currently are taking is too advanced for you, I suggest you speak with your dance teacher about whether you should start in a more basic ballet class and if a basic ballet class is available. I think RAD Intermediate sounds advanced for a beginner in ballet who has only started dancing since September so for less than half a year and especially when that beginner is only taking only one ballet class a week. I see that some dance studios require students taking RAD Vocational Graded Examination classes of which an RAD Intermediate Exam class to attend ballet classes at least three times a week (of course, you don't have to take the exam if you don't want to). I'm not sure why an RAD Intermediate ballet class would be the only local ballet class that is available for you? I think that if it is available to you, it may better serve you to take an adult absolute beginner ballet class instead, and if an adult absolute beginner ballet class is not available, if there is a class available to you that focuses more on the basics of ballet that may better serve you than an RAD Intermediate class even if most of the students in that class are children or teenagers.

If you want to eventually go en pointe, according to https://www.ortho.wustl.edu/content/Patient-Care/3496/Services/Physical-Medicine-and-Rehabilitation-Musculoskeletal/Performing-Arts-Program/Criteria-for-Pointe-Work.aspx, a general recommendation is that a student should have at least 3 years of consistent ballet training and be consistently at least 3 ballet classes a week before they begin pointe work, so it seems if you want to go en pointe, eventually if not now you should try to have at least 3 ballet classes a week. At the same time, if you are not able or don't want to eventually go en pointe, that is okay too. The website also lists other general recommendations about criteria a student should fulfil before beginning pointe work.

I would like to share that I started RAD Grade 1 Ballet at twelve years old and was the oldest in the class, and I think most of the other students in the class were around seven or eight years old. Though I was not an adult then, I wanted to share this with you, just in case that helps you feel less alone in starting dance later than others in the dance studio of the same or a similar age to you have started ballet. At the same time, if this is not an adult absolute beginner ballet class, if an adult absolute beginner class is available I think perhaps it may better serve you if you go to an adult absolute beginner ballet class instead. If an adult absolute beginner ballet class, I think perhaps it may better serve you if you go to a ballet class which is more basic and suitable for you even if most of the students there are children or teenagers.

EDIT: I just read your last post and saw that you were able to do three ballet classes a week recently. I'm glad you were able to add more classes!

Edited by DancingtoDance
  • Like 1

On 24/12/2021 at 14:20, Viv said:

I love your metaphors here! :)

15 hours ago, Angela Essex said:

If I’m honest I feel like a total traitor for getting a private lesson at a different school as my local school are amazing but I know they don’t normally teach adults for exams and was too embarrassed to ask in case they laughed at me - I have such internal conflict about it though. Does that sound stupid?

Anyway it means a lot to have the support of the lovely ppl on here 😊

I think it's fine to try a different teacher logically but I can understand the conflict emotionally.  We get different things from different people and I've never yet found one teacher or school which can meet all of my needs.  So I go to classes with different ballet teachers and learn different things from each of them because they explain things differently.  Likewise I have my regular tango and bellydance teachers but I still take classes with other people sometimes.  The good teachers understand this.  So I can tell my current tango teacher that I did a class with x or y and he'll be interested and want to know more.    

That said emotionally it can be harder.  My first tango instructor was quite grumpy and thought nobody else taught as well as he did. So when I felt I'd learnt all I could from him, I didn't feel I could tell him I wanted to go elsewhere so I just stopped coming and said I was taking a break. I felt like a heel but there it is.  It can feel like a betrayal to go elsewhere but sometimes a fresh perspective can be invaluable.  

I think if you feel that you'll get more out of doing a private and considering exams somewhere else then you should go with that.  At the end of the day it's your dance experience and your money so you need to go with what feel right.  

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, Tango Dancer said:

So I go to classes with different ballet teachers and learn different things from each of them because they explain things differently

Yes, this is what I find. Because of my age, I'm never going to get terribly much "better" in the showy ways - high extensions, more than double turns etc - but I can keep on learning more & more about ballet generally, and how it works in my body specifically, and I seek out teachers who can give me new ideas and techniques.

But as a beginner @Angela Essex you may find that too many different teachers gets confusing!

• Like 5

Back to regular class after a bad pre-Christmas cold and self-imposed omicron stay away from group activities. And the relevees are coming on bit by bit leading to the preparation and the first (1/4) turn pirouette at the barre!

This is very cool. Not perfect by any means. But its progress, yeah!

• Like 3

• 4 months later...

Just reviving this thread; got myself down to Central School of Ballet, London for a beginners' class with Hannah Frost. Very rewarding and enjoyable with plenty of feedback and welcoming attention. Interesting to experience how a different instructor does things. So, that's potentially three classes of ballet a week... er... erm...

• Like 4