Northern Ballet - Merlin - Autumn/Winter 2021

I was in Nottingham on Saturday full of anticipation to see the world premier of Northern Ballet's Merlin, choreographed by Drew McOnie.

There was a palpable sense of excitement in the audience and speaking to a couple of people I hadn't seen since the world premiere of Geisha in March 2020 perhaps one of the reasons was that it was their first visit to a theatre since lockdown started.

The front cloth is absolutely gorgeous and it set the scene for the rest of the ballet with it's delicate, golden colourways.

The music (by Grant Olding) is very tuneful and played wonderfully by the orchestra.  The set is just fabulous.  It is mostly black box with gorgeous lighting and the odd prop brought on unobtrusively by dancers or flown in.  There is one major set piece which is the fabulous tree that lights up like a tree of life with Merlin's help.

The synopsis in the programme is 2 pages long and seemed very complicated but it was actually very easy to follow (although I would suggest people either read the synopsis on the website before they go or buy a programme).  Here's a link to the synopsis:  https://northernballet.com/merlin/story

Basically Merlin tells the story of a conflicted young man (born of gods enjoying rumpy pumpy) , a warrior princess who is spurned in love (and is very annoyed by that) and a famed warrior and young princess from the opposing kingdom who fall in love.

There is some terrific choreography with tender duets between The Blacksmith and her foundling son Merlin and between Uther and Ygraine.  There are plenty of war-like scenes with soldiers training and battling.  Merlin meets a puppet dragon and there are some tender scenes between him and the dragon (which is absolutely fabulous and which I would happily bring home with me!).

Merlin is a spectacular production in a West-end sort of way.  The action is non-stop.  The performances by the company are scintillating.  It really is a very watchable, enjoyable production.

Merlin's power is expressed by him being able to make things perform by using his mind, for example turning the handle of the forge and by his expert yielding of Excalibur.

Kevin Poeung is just remarkable as Merlin.  He is a conflicted young man who does not realise contentment with his until the end.  Minju Kang is a caring and concerned mother to Merlin.

Antoinette Brooks Daw is very convincing as the warrior princess Morgan and her presence dominates the stage when she is on.

Lorenzo Trossello and Rachael Gillespie are just sublime together as Uther and Ygraine (the famed warrior and princess from opposing kingdom).

Javier Torres just fills the stage with his presence as Vortigern, the king.

The dragon handler was Ashley Dixon who was so expert at the task that you tended just to see the dragon, who may be fierce but is really very cute.

Merlin's birth parent gods are danced by Abigail Prudames and Greig Matthews.

I think Merlin is definitely aimed at families and there is much for everyone to enjoy.  If you need something light and uplifting during the current dark times we are living in then Merlin is the ballet for you (but I do believe it will have a life in normal times too).

The audience was very enthusiastic at the end of Act 1 and even more so during the curtain calls.  When Kevin came on the stage it seemed that nearly everyone in the stalls leapt to their feet to give him the acclaim he deserved for his outstanding performance as Merlin.

I am looking forward to seeing this production again in a couple of weeks.

• Like 8

• 4 weeks later...

It's a few weeks into the Autumn tour and I saw the 3 performances of Merlin in Norwich over the weekend.

Sir David Bintley often used to say you should see a new production when it has bedded in rather than judge it on the first night and he was right!

The company has really settled well into this ballet and it is such an ultimately happy story that it is just what the doctor ordered for the dark times we are living in.

Kevin Poeung led the cast on Friday and Saturday evenings.  He really is an outstanding actor as well as a brilliant dancer and he has deepened his interpretation of the young Merlin.  His face is so very expressive and he is a total joy to watch.  The rest of the cast sparkled too.

On Saturday afternoon Riku Ito led the cast as Merlin.  It really was a terrific performance.  Alessandra Bramante excelled in her first leading role as the Blacksmith.  Heather Lehan was sublime as the Lady of the Lake with Sean Bates every inch the golden god as Helios.  Minju Kang was a very wicked Morgan and Antoinette Brooks Daw showed her versatility as a lovely, soft Ygraine.

All in all it was an excellent weekend of ballet watching.  This ballet is the perfect antidote to gloomy days!

• Like 4

11 hours ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

Oh @Jan McNulty I so wish Northern Ballet sold videos of their work!  I saw 'Victoria' in Milton Keynes and would love to see 'Merlin' but it's just not within reach.  What a great subject for a ballet.

Victoria was shown on (I think) BBC4 during lockdown and is available on DVD.  1984 is also available on DVD.  Casanova pops up from time to time on Sky Arts (the terrestrial version).

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

I was in Leeds on Saturday for both performances of Merlin.

At the matinee I finally caught up with Matthew Koon's cast and I was thrilled to see a sparkling performance.  Matt is leaving the company to pursue other opportunities at the end of this run and he will be a sorry loss to the company.  He brought some glorious nuances to the role and was a joy to watch.

The incredibly versatile Heather Lehan was his earth-mother the blacksmith.  For a young dancer she, for me, she has the lot in terms of her glorious dancing and acting in a variety of roles.  I just love watching her on stage.  It was my first viewing of Ashley Dixon as the king Vortigern - gosh he fills the stage with his presence.

In the evening Kevin Poeung led the first cast in another dazzling performance.

This production is a real family entertainment with a huge feel-good factor that seems appropriate right now.

Due to my dog having had a major operation on Tuesday this was my last viewing of Northern Ballet until Pinocchio, Casanova & Gatsby next year.  I'm already suffering from withdrawal symptoms!

• Like 4

Whoops just looked Merlin is only on for three days 2-4th December in Southampton and can’t make any of those days! I thought it would be after Christmas but plans already in place for all three days!! 
Hopefully catch it another year then. 
Noticed that Craig Revell Horwood is in Panto there in Cinderella in December...I wonder what part he is playing.........

Edited by LinMM

1 hour ago, maryrosesatonapin said:

I do hope s/he recovers quickly and sympathise about the withdrawal symptoms.

Thank you.  He ruptured one of his cruciate ligaments.  We’ve got a 3 month recovery plan but he’s already made one freedom attempt!!  I’ve aged 20 years…. 

• Like 3

I went to see Merlin in Leeds last night.

It was the first time I've been into Leeds, and the first time I've watched ballet live since before the pandemic, so it was bound to be special.  But I was completely blown away by the performance, the choreography and the staging.

It felt really new, modern, creative, imaginative and magical.

• Like 2

It wasn't completely full but pretty good for a Thursday evening.  We were in the Upper Circle and the whole central block was full and the first few rows at the side.

Looking down on the stalls they looked full too.

A wide range of people in the audience as well which was great to see.  There weren't many children (it was a school night after all), but those who were there seemed to enjoy it.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I meandered down to Southampton yesterday to see the first night of Merlin at the Mayflower.      It is a magical, lyrical and gentle production that drew me into the story and held my attention. It is beautifully presented onstage by the combined creative resources of the NB and the original music contributes to the success of the piece. The excellent dancers inhabited their characters bringing them to life with much finesse and delicacy as well as strength. Kevin Poeung excelled in the title role. 

• Like 2

• 2 years later...

I just watched this on-line (Marquee) and had a mixed response.  I'm sure it would have been much better in 'real life'.  The set and designs were stunning.  The music, whilst not exactly memorable, was very pleasant and such a relief after some other 'modern' ballet scores.  The dancers gave it their all, especially Kevin Poeung in the title role.  The overall flavour was of a crowd-pleasing spectacle rather than a technically demanding classical ballet. It was west-endy, a little bit superficial, and the dragon was cute but twee. But this is the kind of thing that might bring new audiences to ballet, so well done NB.  It was certainly entertaining to watch.

• Like 3