Improving prospects for dance school at 16+

AmandaBallet

Hello all, newbie here! My 11 year old has moved dance schools and we've suddenly become aware of the world of associates, vocational schools etc...She loves to dance and has said for a while that's what she'd like to do but with no dance background I had no idea until now of this whole world of extras (her previous dance school didn't seem to have any interest other than exams). Reading all the posts here it feels a little bit like we're already too late by not having been involved in anything other than regular lessons. Having totally missed the boat for lower school, my question is about whether it's possible/likely to get a place at dance school at 16+ just from regular lessons or what I should be looking for her to do to improve her prospects should that dance dream remain with her? It doesn't seem like there's a huge range of options locally (south Wales) aside from regular classes but would be prepared to travel potentially once a month if there were any recommendations of things she could do. I'll speak to her new teacher once she's been able to see her in person instead of just online (!) but wanted to get some ideas as it feels like I need to look into this more for her before more time ebbs away! Thanks for any help/guidance from anyone. 

Edited by AmandaBallet
  • Like 3

1 minute ago, AmandaBallet said:

Hello all, newbie here! My 11 year old has moved dance schools and we've suddenly become aware of the world of associates, vocational schools etc...She loves to dance and has said for a while that's what she'd like to do but with no dance background I had no idea until now of this whole world of extras (her previous dance school didn't seem to have any interest other than exams). Reading all the posts here it feels a little bit like we're already too late by not having been involved in anything other than regular lessons. Having totally missed the boat for lower school, ny question is about whether it's possible/likely to get a place at dance school at 16+ just from regular lessons or what I should be looking for her to do to improve her prospects should that dance dream remain with her? It doesn't seem like there's a huge range of options locally (south Wales) aside from regular classes but would be prepared to travel potentially once a month if there were any recommendations of things she could do. I'll speak to her new teacher once she's been able to see her in person instead of just online (!) but wanted to get some ideas as it feels like I need to look into this more for her before more time ebbs away! Thanks for any help/guidance from anyone. 

In answer to your question. Yes it is possible to be offered places at 16+ without attending any associate schemes. Just regular classes at a local dance school. 
I can understand your geographic position can be challenging just like mine. 
From personal experience my DD successfully applied two SS’s just as she finished yr10 so immediately preceding audition season. 
Then an audition workshop in the October 1/2 term of yr11. Graduates this year. ☺️

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, balletbean said:

In answer to your question. Yes it is possible to be offered places at 16+ without attending any associate schemes. Just regular classes at a local dance school. 
I can understand your geographic position can be challenging just like mine. 
From personal experience my DD successfully applied two SS’s just as she finished yr10 so immediately preceding audition season. 
Then an audition workshop in the October 1/2 term of yr11. Graduates this year. ☺️

Thank you, that's good to know.

• Like 1

My DD did weekly classes never did associates and did normal A levels still danced normally till she went to a vocational school at 18 todo a BA in MT, she’s just about to graduate.  She applied for about 5 at 18, 4 being a diploma and got nowhere but the BA she got excepted.   Where my DS dances locally and is part of 3 1 ballet 3 mixed associates and he applied for full time for years 7,8,9 and though he’s made finals has never been lucky enough for a funded place.  So associates isn’t the ‘be all’ I’ve questioned a few and talked about the money spent on these and if the money would be better of being spent on a good private lesson.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, WrapsnBows said:

My DD did weekly classes never did associates and did normal A levels still danced normally till she went to a vocational school at 18 todo a BA in MT, she’s just about to graduate.  She applied for about 5 at 18, 4 being a diploma and got nowhere but the BA she got excepted.   Where my DS dances locally and is part of 3 1 ballet 3 mixed associates and he applied for full time for years 7,8,9 and though he’s made finals has never been lucky enough for a funded place.  So associates isn’t the ‘be all’ I’ve questioned a few and talked about the money spent on these and if the money would be better of being spent on a good private lesson.

Thank you for the reply, that's interesting to hear.

My DD went to vocational school for the Trinity level 6 diploma at 16 . She did the odd workshop aged 12-14 and then a monthly scheme from 14-16 but it only ran 9 sessions in a year and was open to all, not entry by audition (RAD scheme).  she did the Ballet Cymru summer school for a few years and an odd workshop with them too. Apart from that she danced in a small village dance school. I should say though that although ballet was her strength and main love, it was dance courses she auditioned for rather than ballet courses

• Like 2

Hi Amanda. We are also in South Wales and there isn't as much as in other parts of the country....For ballet associate wise there is ceccheti i think in Newport and ballet cymru at 11. Otherwise you need to travel to associate schemes....There is mid associate classes in royal ballet in Bath and elmhurst extended dancers in Birmingham or ballet boost in devon/London based on auditions. Think it would be too late to apply for royal but ballet boost and elmhurst extended dancers still open. Also some of our dancers go to London Studio Centre in Hereford which is supposed to be really good too. Alternatively to supplement training from home Camille Bracher and Sarah Toner provide prevocational training/vocational via zoom so worth looking into. Good luck with everything xxx 

• Like 1

Hi Amanda,

I can agree with Raquelle’s suggestions. My Dds have been in all of the schemes at one time or another.  Cecchetti scheme is held at Ballet Cymru and is a very friendly scheme which has some excellent visiting teachers.

Ballet Cymru’s scheme consists of 2 levels and they do ballet, pointe for older ones as well as contemporary/improv. It is monthly on Sundays, if I remember rightly.
Elmhurst YDs is around 2-2.30 drive and is on Saturdays. Younger ones can opt for jazz. Several younger ones tend to do both JAs and YD as not too far from each other. Older students do not have jazz option. It is 2 hours on Saturdays.

MAs is available in Birmingham or Radstock unless you want to travel further.

BBAs are at Rambert on Sundays or Exeter. They offer ballet and contemporary classes. Numerous levels available.

There is also Kings which offer 6 hours on Saturdays. We found this to be good and used to take 2-3 hours from Barry Island. There is ballet every week and then 2 hours of either contemporary or jazz followed by 2 hours repertoire.

LSC in Hereford is another good scheme and straight down A40. Usually 11-5pm and they do ballet, jazz, contemporary and singing.

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
Automated text
  • Like 1

Welcome from me too.  ☺️ You certainly haven’t missed the boat at 11 for upper school/16+ training, so don’t worry!  Everyone will have their own views on Associates and whether they’re worth it - personally, I think the benefits of a good Associate scheme outweigh the costs and time involved if full-time training is the goal.  When only training locally, you can only compare your child with other children from the same dance school.  At a good, selective Associates scheme, you are dancing with children from different schools and often from all over the country, so it’s much easier to gauge how you might compare against other dancers from the UK and abroad at auditions later on.

If the local school is small with only one Teacher, and/or only does syllabus classes, Associates give the opportunity to do non-syllabus work, sometimes repertoire, and above all learn from several different teachers.  There may be performance opportunities.  Doing free work, expanding the ballet vocab, and above all learning to watch and reproduce different combinations of steps are all vital for the audition process.  

Definitely wait until your dd’s new dance school can assess her, chat to the Teacher and keep asking questions here.  If Associates appeal, you have a few options. ☺️

• Like 1