Information from RAD about dance classes restarting

Peony

We had a mini discussion on the adult ballet thread yesterday but thought I would post this link from RAD in case people have missed it. Hopefully some of our ballet teachers may be able to re-start soon

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/dance-classes-can-resume-from-4-july/?utm_source=Facebook_regionalpages&utm_medium=Social&utm_campaign=Covid_danceschoolsreopening&fbclid=IwAR1O7KOePpBsAR070DC2ovmyk9XdQ-VKUU65hCb6N_OZL5OmLHw26VaPym0

• Like 1

That's crazy that it is the younger children .... what about the year 10 & 12s that have also been back in school! 

The younger children are going to need more time/support to distance themselves and will have parents coming and going to drop off & collect. 

The older dancers don't need a parent to take them to/from class, and understand about distancing!!! 

• Like 3

I’ve not seen any other exam bodies saying they are giving their members the go ahead. I interpreted the guidance they’ve had from the government website completely differently. 

35348DF1-3554-4109-81C4-AED60F8859F5.jpeg

Edited by Bluebird22
  • Like 1

There’s a bit in the gov document about why it’s younger children- because of the evidence of reduced transmission etc. From the 20th it applies to all children. There’s no expectation for social distancing amongst the children just other measures such as cleaning, staggered start, crowd control of parents! 
at least it is a start and hopefully the ballet organisations can get some clarification for teachers. It’s the end of term But might help some with summer schools

Have to say that I feel some of the exam boards have put things out to the public that are at best confusing. Some boards this afternoon are sharing out of date guidance on their social media. If they're not sure then they should seek further guidance.

• Like 2

It does all sound very complex and confusing. My heart goes out to all dance teachers. Not only have most of them had significant financial concerns throughout this whole period, they've had to deal with completely changing the way they teach, literally overnight, but now the stress of trying to figure out how to safely restart, in the face of conflicting and rapidly changing advice. What a nightmare!

I can empathise to a degree as I am the Chair and a Coach at a children's sports club and I have been having sleepless nights over our planned restart. There are so many considerations. You think you've figured it out and then someone spots something you haven't thought of, or the guidance changes and your carefully thought out plans don't fit any more. Some of the parents think your precautions are too restrictive and a similar number that they don't go far enough. We can't confirm how sessions would be run until have a reasonable idea of numbers likely to attend, but people understandably don't want to commit until they know what is on offer. Our income will drop as we will have lower numbers and our expenditure is increasing, but if we increase fees the risk is that people are put off and income drops further. The government,  our governing body and the organisation that we hire our facilities from are all saying subtly different things about what they expect of us, and some parents can't understand why we are not up and running already as technically our activity have been allowed for 2 weeks now. It really is very, very hard. And we have the advantage of being outdoors and of being a voluntary group. We do want to provide a service and we want to ensure the survival of our club for years to come, but unlike most dance schools nobody is trying to make a living out of it and nobody's business and long term financial future is hanging in the balance. So comparatively, we've got it easy.

When you are not in the thick of things is easy to criticise those who are. The solutions  seem "obvious" when it isn't you trying to implement them. The people here are without doubt the most rational and reasonable group of people I have ever come across on an internet forum, so I know I am preaching to the choir here really. However, even the best of us are getting to the end of our tethers re lockdown and some are deeply concerned about their DCs training, so it is natural that many want to get back into the studio as soon as possible. Announcements like this from the RAD are very encouraging  but PLEASE be patient and understanding with your teachers. Those that I know are working their socks off to get things going again and have all the same wishes and worries that the dancers and parents have. I was talking to a dance teacher in Scotland today in fact and she was saying how stressed she us about the number of parents ringing to ask her when she will be allowed to open again, as studios seem to be opening in England. Obviously she is pleased  that they are keen, but she doesn't have Nicola Sturgeon on speed dial and will find out at the same time as everyone else - and then have to react quickly! Please continue  to support your dance teachers, and those who run any other activities your children take part in, but give them the time and space they need to plan and prepare for a safe reopening. Hopefully it won't be too much longer now!

• Like 13

Very well said pups_mum! I’m in wales so similar situation to Scotland in that we’ve not heard here either. But I’ve decided to close my school for the summer (would normally close about now anyway!), watch what happens over the summer and then hopefully have everything in place to open in September when everything has settled a bit more. 😁

• Like 1

Well said @Pups_mum

The problem is that we have no steady, secure, and science-based guidance from the government. It seems to me that their policy actually hasn't changed much from 'herd immunity' - it's swayed by public opinion & the influence of commercial & business interests.

I compare this with the experience of my family n Germany (one of whom works in the theatre) who've had clear and science-based guidance, and are back at work. And there's been absolute clarity about wearing masks as a way to protect everyone. And Germans do these things properly, not half-heartedly (eg wearing masks but not actually covering nose & mouth).

• Like 1

It’s very frustrating that one minute the advice is “Dance studios cannot open” and then “out of school clubs like ballet” are allowed but only in the school holidays?! 

One minute dance classes have been lumped in with gyms and fitness studios and then the next we’re glorified childcare! 

• Like 6

1 hour ago, drdance said:

It’s very frustrating that one minute the advice is “Dance studios cannot open” and then “out of school clubs like ballet” are allowed but only in the school holidays?! 

One minute dance classes have been lumped in with gyms and fitness studios and then the next we’re glorified childcare! 

and the RAD are in a spin with it all it  seems 

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/update-on-re-opening-of-dance-studios/