Royal Danish Ballet season 2020/21

The RDB has announced its programme for next season, apparently in the expectation of being able to run a full season starting at the beginning of September.

Ballets  include:

Come Fly Away (Twyla Tharp)

Cinderella (Gregory Dean)

La Sylphide (new production)

Balanchine's Nutcracker

Romeo and Juliet (Neumeier)

Serenade/ Sibelius 4 (Jorma Elo)/Etudes

Blixen (Gregoery Dean)

Napoli

La Bayadere

Dans2G0 programme - works by Sebastian Kloborg, Peter Martins (Zakouski), Neumeier and Hofesh Shechter

Principal dancer Amy Watson will give her farewell performance as Teresina in Napoli

Full details in the season book

Edited by Jane S

Yes, also wondering about La Sylphide, although not sure how the previous staging was or who it was staged by - maybe Jane could enlighten?

Curious to see that Peter Martins gets a chance. 

42 minutes ago, Darlex said:

Well, Peter Martins is a Dane .... and he did that piece - Zakouski - a brief adagio if I remember correctly - for Hubbe ... then a NYCB principal ... and Margaret Tracey  -  for a gala (if I remember correctly) - ... so it would make sense that Hubbe might want to add it to a mixed programme.   I seem to recall it was - of its kind - quite charming ... (and I say that not having been a massive fan of Martins' choreography).  

2 hours ago, Darlex said:

Yes, also wondering about La Sylphide, although not sure how the previous staging was or who it was staged by - maybe Jane could enlighten?

oh this is a new new version? The latest one was done by Nikolaj Hubbe and... gag me.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Well, Peter Martins is a Dane .... and he did that piece - Zakouski - a brief adagio if I remember correctly - for Hubbe ... then a NYCB principal ... and Margaret Tracey  -  for a gala (if I remember correctly) - ... so it would make sense that Hubbe might want to add it to a mixed programme.   I seem to recall it was - of its kind - quite charming ... (and I say that not having been a massive fan of Martins' choreography).  

Isn’t it a tad curious that the current NYCB digital season doesn’t include any works by Martins, who led the troupe & created many ballets for over 35 years? Back to Sylphide: The current un-traditional version premiered in 2014...also by Hubbe. It’s very spare black-white with Madge being a male character in love with James. Rather edgy, that I recall. So will Hubbe go even edgier or will he revert to the traditional storyline? I selfishly pray for the latter. 

• 1 month later...

The company has just announced that John Neumeier's Mahler's 3rd Symphony will replace La Bayadere next season, opening on May 19th 2021. It was due to have its Danish premiere in March this year, and was lost to the lockdown with only 2 days to go till the first night, to the huge disappointment of the dancers, who clearly had a lot invested in it.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hubbe’s new (back-to-tradition?) La Sylphide, opening 24 October, through 25 November, is sold-out. The tiny drawing of the A2 design, accompanying this article, looks promising.

https://kglteater.dk/en/whats-on/season-20202021/ballet/la-sylphide/

Hubbe’s 2003 version (w/ Anne-Marie Schluter) for RDB - the one that we saw at the 2005 Bournonville Festival - was lovely & traditional. Then came his stark black/white version a few years later. I’m hoping that this 3rd version will be closer to the first and to Bournonville’s conception.

• 2 weeks later...

Right now there are again some tickets on sale - also for La Sylphide, including the farewell performance for Kizzy Matiakis on the 14th of November. 

I've been in the theatre a couple of times in September and everything seem to be well under control: they check the tickets outside, every second seat is blocked, the bars are closed ( bottled water provided free during the breaks). So I look forward to the next visits to the Royal Danish Theatre. 

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

From Ida Praetorius’ Facebook:

https://m.facebook.com/events/3702134356486177?acontext={"source"%3A"3"%2C"action_history"%3A"null"}&aref=3

she also links to this short preview on the Royal Theatre’s own FB site:

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=10157414713031455&id=22694021454

This Wednesday, 25 Nov at 8PM UTC+1

If live, it will be the Wilma Giglio/Andreas Kaas cast.

Edited by Jeannette
  • Like 4

On 29/10/2020 at 18:11, Jane S said:

The RDB has just announced that they will be streaming the new production from November 25th. That's the last night of the live run but it's not entirely clear (to me) if it's that performance they will be showing.

I would guess it will be geoblocked, though.

I've moved feedback on the new Sylphide production into a separate thread:

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, yumiko said:

The Nutcracker (choreographed by G Balancine) is available on the company site.

Sugar Plum Fairy - Holly Droger

The Prince - Marcin Kupinski

Dew Drop - Lena Maria Gruber

The Nutcracker

According to the theatre IG, it would be available for a year.

Gorgeous production...just wow! It’s hard to top the NYCB designs by Ter Arutunian/Karinska but these are so classy/easy on the eye. Thanks for bringing this to our attention, yumiko. Excellent cast...especially love Lena-Maria Gruber’s Dewdrop...and what a delight to finally see our “hometown pride” Emerson Moose - Kirov Academy-DC graduate -  in a solo opportunity, in the lead Spanish couple. 

Our Balanchine-Nutcracker cup runneth over this December...with several companies streaming the Balanchine version, each with different designs...Pacific NW Ballet coming next on my dance agenda. Great fun to compare and admire different qualities in each.

Edited by Jeannette

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...