Lockdown and General Streaming Thread

1 hour ago, Bruce Wall said:

Very much enjoyed Connection, replete - as it is - with some exquisite ensemble choreography by Nunes for the PAB Company.  It was clear just how much thought had gone into the placement of this ballet at the top of the ten day Festival as not only did it clearly celebrate yesterday's critical date but it was also a glorious introduction to these fine dancers.  I would very much like to see this piece live one day.  

Sorry Bruce but I have no idea who PAB is.

• Like 1

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

5 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

It was clear just how much thought had gone into the placement of this ballet at the top of the ten day Festival as not only did it clearly celebrate yesterday's critical date 

Sorry?  Someone told me it was BoJo's birthday yesterday, but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

Guest oncnp
5 minutes ago, alison said:

Sorry?  Someone told me it was BoJo's birthday yesterday, but I don't suppose that's what you mean.

Might have meant Juneteenth, the day the last slaves learned they were free

"Originating in Texas, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, with varying official recognition. Specifically, it commemorates Union army general Gordon Granger announcing federal orders in Galveston, Texas, on June 19, 1865, proclaiming that all slaves in Texas were free.

20 minutes ago, alison said:

Somewhat surprised, Alison - given all the media coverage it received yesterday ... around the world, yes - but also here ... given the recent protests over Rhodes, etc., and other individuals and organisations associated with the slave trade ...   (That said I had no idea it was the PM's birthday yesterday .... so I guess that shows my own lack of awareness).  

"Juneteenth is a holiday celebrating the emancipation of those who had been enslaved in the United States. Originating in Texas, it is now celebrated annually on the 19th of June throughout the United States, with varying official recognition." 

I saw a national BBC news report yesterday about the different States (including NY) which made it (i.e., 'Juneteenth') an official holiday yesterday - and the mandate now in front of the US Supreme Court in terms of becoming a Federal one.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Ballet Hispanico have got a series of watch parties.

Last night I watched Carlos Pons Guerra's Waiting for Pepe and absolutely LOVED it (but I am a huge fan of his choreography).

Pepe is available for another couple of days and other upcoming watch parties are listed.

https://www.ballethispanico.org/bunidos/watch-party

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

Somewhat surprised, Alison - given all the media coverage it received yesterday ... around the world, yes - but also here ...

Didn't make the BBC 10 O'clock News, which is all I saw yesterday.  Apart from some claim by POTUS that he'd come up with the idea, or something.  I still had no idea what it was ...

On 19/06/2020 at 13:28, Jeannette said:

Also streaming this weekend, another superb offering from Dance Theater of Harlem- Robert Garland’s Return, to the music of James Brown and Aretha Franklin.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCY5gb-8rQWU6jGJIfe60DJg

Begins streaming tomorrow, June 20.

Return is now up, via DTH’s website. As choreographer Robert Garland explains in the intro, there were technical glitches with Youtube, so they’ve posted it directly on their site. Sure to leave smiles on  faces!

https://www.dancetheatreofharlem.org/return/

The last of Ib Andersen's 'Desert Ballets' for Ballet Arizona, Round, here for 24 hours only  ... 

Three Studies After Couperin: Les Amusements
Music by Thomas Ades

Amber Lewis

Helio Lima, Randy Crespo, Roman Zavarov, Eric Hipolito Jr, Jackson Dwyer

Three Studies After Couperin: Les Tours de Passe-Passe
Music by Thomas Ades

Amber Lewis

Arianni Martin, Chelsea Teel, Michelle Vagi, Rochelle Anvik, Jessica Phillips, Alison Remmers, Lauren Flower

Syrinx
Music by Claude Debussy

Natalia Magnicaballi

Bri George, Sasha Vincett Naomi Tanioka, Sarah Walborn

Prelude to Afternoon of a Faun
Music by Claude Debussy

Nayon Iovino

Roman Zavarov, Eric Hipolito Jr., Jackson Dwyer, Randy Crespo, Brian Leonard, Randy Pacheco, Annier Navarro, Fan Shi

Suite No. 4 in E-flat, BWV1010: Sarabande
Music by J.S. Bach

Mimi Tompkins, Nayon Iovino

Daphnis et Chloe, Suite No. 2
Music by Maurice Ravel

1st Movement
Rochelle Anvik, Jessica Phillips, Chelsea Teel, Randy Crespo, Roman Zavarov, Jackson Dwyer, Brian Leonard, Eric Hipolito Jr., Helio Lima, Arianni Martin, Amber Lewis, Alejandro Mendez

2nd Movement
Jackson Dwyer, Natalia Magnicaballi, Helio Lima, Mimi Tompkins

Alllison Remmers, Lauren Flower, Michelle Vagi, Sasha Vincett, Ethan Price

3rd Movement
Jackson Dwyer, Helio Lima, Arianni Martin, Mimi Tompkins

Roman Zavarov, Eric Hipolito Jr. Annier Navarro, Fan Shi, Randy Crespo, Randy Pacheco, Brian Leonard, Michelle Vagi, Alison Remmers, Sasha Vincett, Lauren Flower, Amber Lewis, Chelsea Teel, Jessica Phillips, Rochelle Anvik

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Janite said:
Dance Theatre of Harlem

Thank you for your patience! We were blocked by YouTube despite having licensing rights to screen Return. Please join us on our website to enjoy the special screening of Return online: https://bit.ly/3elYhQH

Dylan Santos, Ingrid Silva and Choong Hoon Lee in Return | Photo by Rachel Neville

Love it ❤️ 💕, especially...POPCORN! 🍿 

To make this film happen, Garland selected footage from performances over the course of 20 years...from venues as diverse as Detroit Opera, Edinburgh Festival and it’s current home, Jazz at Lincoln Center.

Edited by Jeannette

Guest oncnp

Romeo & Juliet with Lauren Cuthbertson from Teatro Colón (at least I think that's what it says) on Sunday June 28, 8:00 PM  Buenos Aires  time which looks like BST - 4 hours (but check that)

Announcement on her IG stories

Edited by oncnp

On 20/06/2020 at 08:59, Bruce Wall said:

Sorry, Jan .... Quoting from the announcement but a few items up ...

Pennsylvania Ballet (PAB) - now headed by Angel Corella - has announced the following -

Hope that helps :)

Well it did help because today I have watched both Connection and Don Quixote and have thoroughly enjoyed both.

Connection had a gorgeous score by Ezio Bosso and the danced moved beautifully to it with very lyrical choreography.

Don Quixote is a sort of bijoux version coming in at just over 90 minutes and I thought it was great fun!

• Like 2

When Arthur Mitchell created Dance Theatre of Harlem, he envisioned a racially diverse ballet company performing demanding repertory at the highest level of quality.

This week, our Virtual Ballet Series continues with a ballet that epitomizes Mr. Mitchell's vision - Balamouk by celebrated choreographer, Annabelle Lopez Ochoa. Commissioned by New York City Center for the 2018 Fall For Dance festival, Balamouk, set to the intoxicating sounds and rhythms of klezmer music, tells the story of a group of colorful individuals on a journey of hope. Fueled by a mesmerizing range of vibrant movement, Balamouk transports audiences to a realm of magical realism.

Balamouk Schedule of Events:

Wednesday, June 24th 
Live with The Klezmatics at 8pm
Lisa Gutkin, who plays fiddle with the Grammy Award Winning Klezmatics, hosts a regular salon series, “Wednesdays at 8 With Lisa,” through Zoom and Facebook Live. On June 24th, dance artists from the Dance Theatre of Harlem will come together with the Klezmatics for an evening of music and dance improvisation and recorded excerpts of the band’s Balamouk rehearsals 

on Facebook.

Thursday, June 25th
Inside Balamouk at 8pm
Go behind the scenes with DTH Company Artists Amanda Smith and Sanford Placide in a conversation with Balamouk costume designer, Mark Zappone, on the process of creating the costumes for this ballet. Watch the conversation on Instagram(IGTV), YouTube and Facebook.

Friday, June 26th
Conversation with the Choreographer at 4pm
Enjoy a conversation with Balamouk choreographer Annabelle Lopez Ochoa and Company Artist Dylan Santos about the inspiration and process for creating Balamouk on Instagram Live.

Saturday, June 27th
Balamouk at 8pm
Watch the full-length version of Balamouk on YouTube, hosted by Company Artist Ingrid Silva.

Post-Performance Live Chat at 8:30pm
Join our post-performance live chat with DTH Company Artists as they discuss Balamouk on YouTube.

Very much enjoyed the playful musicality - all in a balletic idiom - of Jorma Elo's 2019 Trigger Touch Fade for PAB (Pennsylvania Ballet).  Thought Lillian Dipiazza and Sterling Baca were wonderfully piquant.  What a finely varied dancer he has become since he left ABT.  In the last few days we have seen him as a delightfully dimwitted Dudley Do-right of an Espada in Don Quixote; an acutely responsive Albrecht in Giselle and here a stunningly adroit partner as the man in blue.  Oksana Maslova and - most especially - that glittering firecracker of a dancer - Zecheng Liang - were hypnotic in the considerable glory of both the first and second movements.  This is a fine company work.  Hats off to Correla for commissioning it .... and this fine digital season.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

I really liked LOUIS STIENS'S MESSENGER from the Stuttgart Ballet, it's streaming until June 28th, 22:00 h (CET)

'Louis Stiens's choreography is adventurous and raw and defies characterisation. In Messenger he explores the dynamics between a messenger/prophet/harbinger of change and a community which at times embraces, at times rejects the newcomer. Stiens’ one-act ballet is a compelling study set to Czech composer Ondřej Adámek’s orchestral work Follow me.'

• Like 1

Another not-to-miss recommendation:

Pennsylvania Ballet in Jorma Elo’s Trigger Touch Fade, filmed at its World Premiere performance on May 8, 2019, in Philadelphia. Beautifully classical to the “n-th”  degree, danced to glorious Bach and Handel. The high-flying finale will leave you breathless. Hands down, the best new choreography I’ve seen in this COVID streaming season & we’ve seen some winners from San Francisco and others during these past couple of months. Woohoo!

Read this for information on free access via a simple email registration:

http://paballet.org/2019-2020-season/front-row-festival/

You’ll be e-mailed a link and access-word to Vimeo. No need to get any special Vimeo app.

• Like 1

What a 20th Century masterwork Jerome Robbins' Glass Pieces is.  Thanks so PAB (Pennsylvania Ballet) for reminding us of this fact.  Thought Maslova was haunting in the second movement's PDD opposite Jemel Johnson.  She reminded me of the RB's Anna Rose O'Sullivan.  (Would love to see her in this extraordinary movement someday.  That would be a treat.)   

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Bruce Wall said:

What a 20th Century masterwork Jerome Robbins' Glass Pieces is.  Thanks so PAB (Pennsylvania Ballet) for reminding us of this fact.  Thought Maslova was haunting in the second movement's PDD opposite Jemel Johnson.  She reminded me of the RB's Anna Rose O'Sullivan.  (Would love to see her in this extraordinary movement someday.  That would be a treat.)   

Thanks for drawing this to my attention, I loved Glass Pieces when SFBallet did it earlier in Lockdown and it is wonderful to see it again.

• Like 1

Loved Balamouk.  What a vibrant way to start a day.   Everything fits into Ocha's final smile.  So, so pleased that Arthur Mitchell - every bit a pioneer like de Valois - was able to see this before he left us.  Yet one more testament to his arching achievement in birthing DTH.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

On 28/06/2020 at 07:57, Bruce Wall said:

Loved Balamouk.  What a vibrant way to start a day.   Everything fits into Ocha's final smile.  So, so pleased that Arthur Mitchell - every bit a pioneer like de Valois - was able to see this before he left us.  Yet one more testament to his arching achievement in birthing DTH. 

Thanks Bruce I loved it too. Seeing DTH's work has been good.