New Year

Anon2

11 hours ago, Jane said:

With the start of a new academic year I wish good luck to all those starting their vocational journeys and the returnees. 

What a lovely message! It is a hectic time and a big wrench as children go back to boarding school and college.

To the parents of new starters: you will manage so much better than you think you are going to. The children are starting the journey towards their dream, and it is hard to watch them go, but may you see them thrive as I have seen DD thrive; may your relationship with them grow stronger as my relationship with DD has grown stronger; and may you discover new interests and friendships to supplement the areas that quieten down when a high-maintenance Dancing child goes off to vocational school, as I have.

These were my fears this time last year. It was all fine. Better than fine! Our lives have adjusted and a year on, I don’t feel the dread as I help DD pack that I felt last year. Thinking of you all xx

• Like 11

14 hours ago, SissonneDoublee said:

What a lovely message! It is a hectic time and a big wrench as children go back to boarding school and college.

To the parents of new starters: you will manage so much better than you think you are going to. The children are starting the journey towards their dream, and it is hard to watch them go, but may you see them thrive as I have seen DD thrive; may your relationship with them grow stronger as my relationship with DD has grown stronger; and may you discover new interests and friendships to supplement the areas that quieten down when a high-maintenance Dancing child goes off to vocational school, as I have.

These were my fears this time last year. It was all fine. Better than fine! Our lives have adjusted and a year on, I don’t feel the dread as I help DD pack that I felt last year. Thinking of you all xx

All of this!

It might seem that life will never seem the same again but suddenly you have a 'new normal'.

Both DD and I (and even her dad) have made some wonderful new friends.

Good luck everyone xxx

• Like 2

3 hours ago, cotes du rhone ! said:

Dropped Dd off yesterday for her 8th and final year 😅 at vocational school. Roll on July 😂 

The very best of luck to all the Dc, new and old xx

Same here! Very best wishes to all final year students at all schools. Here’s hoping for exciting news about jobs over the coming months. 🤞

• Like 2

I don't wish to put a "downer" on things, but new full-time vocational parents, be prepared for homesickness. No matter how excited they are about going, and whether they have been away from home before, it can hit like a brick. My son (now 26) was so homesick it was awful (he was known as one of the worst they'd had for years at the time). The staff at WL were fantastic - his house-parents and the nurse got him (and us) through it. He was really bad until well into the second term of year 7, but it continued after every return to school until into year 9. He loved it there and loved doing ballet, but just really missed home. He did however go on to help other children with their homesickness, and became head boy at Elmhurst sixth form where he continued to support the youngsters. Very proud of him.

Good luck with the year ahead. Make the most of every moment and every opportunity but be prepared for both ups and downs on the way.  Even with benefit of hindsight we'd do it all again in a heartbeat and miss it all now!

• Like 9

Slightly different, but just this morning I was thinking how am I going to cope if my 22 year old son goes to university next September? One of the main reasons i'd miss him is i'd have no-one to kill the monster spiders I get in the house and will have to fend for myself !!  He's on his way back from his mates house now to "rescue" me from it. I need to find some sort of a way to cope on my own should he go away. I assume at some point in his life he is going to move out anyway, so I need to start learning to deal with them. But the very best of luck to all DC going away this September, and the best of luck to their parents too.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien

Hello Lisa, nice to hear from you, we haven’t heard fro:you for a while. 

Not clever enough to share a link I’m afraid but I saw an ad for just what you need on social media today ... a ‘spider repellent spray’ 99p a bottle . Not actually sure if it was a real ad or just a spoof to be honest, I wasn’t paying attention but it sounds like it’s just what you need 😀

Edited by along for the ride mum

6 minutes ago, along for the ride mum said:

Hello Lisa, nice to hear from you, we haven’t heard fro:you for a while. 

Not clever enough to share a link I’m afraid but I saw an ad for just what you need on social media today ... a ‘spider repellent spray’ 99p a bottle . Not actually sure if it was a real ad or just a spoof to be honest, I wasn’t paying attention but it sounds like it’s just what you need 😀

Ha ha. Many thanks. I have several bottles of NO More Spiders in the kitchen cupboard. It's completely harmless to them, but they don't like the smell of peppermint oil in it. It's quite nice actually. I just always forget to spray it everywhere. Until it's too late and there's a monster upstairs in the hall, stopping me from going to the bathroom.( Like right now).

On 03/09/2019 at 07:23, Jane said:

With the start of a new academic year I wish good luck to all those starting their vocational journeys and the returnees. 

Thank you Jane. It's DD's first week at WL. She seems to be doing fine.

Good luck to all other vocational students, and their parents... I now know how they feel. 😊

• Like 3