Heatwaves

Melody

Been hearing about major heatwaves across Europe this week - I hope they're more prepared in France than they were when that last heatwave happened and killed so many people.

How is it in the UK? As far as I could tell, the temps are a bit lower than on the mainland, but I'm not sure what's on the way. We're having a week of temps in the 90s here and are very grateful for air conditioning. Is air conditioning a thing in homes over there these days, or are you relying on fans and cold drinks?

Interestingly I read about five deaths in different parts of France ....all people oldish...60-70 plus BUT did these people die in the middle of some over hot city ...no...they were all people who were on beaches ....though one might have been near a river....all went from a 40 degree beach heat and dived straight into cold water!! So,be careful going from extreme heat to extreme cold can be dangerous for older people.

I don't know anyone personally who has air conditioning in their home!! Well not in UK. I guess it's not consistently hot enough for long enough for people to install it. You do get it in hotels but sometimes once the temperature goes above a certain point their systems are not always able to cope and seem to break down rather easily. 

In London those "new" buses are awful the air conditioning never seems to work properly and you will cook when it's over 30 as the few windows on these buses are very small and don't let much air in. Last year I had to get off a 73 bus caught in a traffic jam because I thought I might expire ....actually much cooler to walk!! 

Last year once the temperatures hit the mid 30s the climate control on the neonatal unit I work on stopped working so with the heat from the equipment the room temp rose quickly into the 40s. The investigation found the cooling unit on the roof couldn’t cope with the heat and it was suggested that in future if temps rise to same levels cooling unit will need to be sprayed with water.  Imagine some hotels will use similar units. 

I went to the cinema this afternoon.  Although not as hot as yesterday it was still uncomfortably warm in the screen we were in and the staff were giving us bottles of cold water.

I've just had Chipdog out and it is overcast and the breeze is making it feel cooler.  I just wish the humidity would drop.

It was so hot at 6pm today in London that after a few minutes walking to the tube (en route to Sadler's Wells) I literally felt as if I was getting sunburnt. Crazy. Thank God the forecast is for it to be cooler tomorrow.

I can't wait for the autumn... :D

• Like 2

I must admit I've just reached that age where I'm not too keen on temperatures over about 25 any more!! 

I do always relish the first few hottish days of the year though ...when you can sit in the garden with a cup of tea for the first time with no coat on as it reaches about 20 degrees! 

• Like 1

There have been numerous occurrences of fatalities over the years from people going from one extreme of temperature to another, rather than giving their bodies time to adjust.  I believe getting out of an air-conditioned car into very hot conditions is a major cause.

I have to say, it was beautifully cool in Sadlers Wells' café yesterday - unlike in the "high street", where I really wondered if the sun was burning through my skirt and its lining.

• 3 years later...

On a day where we in London - and a fair bit of the rest of the country - have been warned not to travel unless it's absolutely necessary, and not to exert ourselves, because of potential record high temperatures and serious effects even on the fit and well, the neighbours have just gone out for a bike ride.  I wouldn't be altogether surprised if they go and play tennis, too :o

I’m still in the bedroom the coolest room in the house!! 
The temperature here is slowly creeping up …well it’s gone up 3 degrees in the last hour!!  It’s now 33 degrees out in the garden in the sun and 28.4 degrees in the shade. So definitely Spanish siesta time! It’s now 27 degrees in the bedroom as it does start to get more sun by the mid afternoon! 
I filled up all the water in the bird baths last night and created a couple of temporary new ones so will venture out in about an hour to refill etc. 

• Like 1

Well I didn’t think it would be any hotter today but it is? At 3.30 it hit 36 degrees in the garden ( 33 in the shade) My coolest room is now 31 degrees!! 
Am not having to do anything though honestly don’t know how people can work if no air con!! 
Even the thought of having to go on the tube on a day like today is enough to nearly bring on a panic attack!! 
Am going into garden to spray the trees a bit …in case they spontaneously combust ….and give the birdies some more water. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, LinMM said:

Even the thought of having to go on the tube on a day like today is enough to nearly bring on a panic attack!! 

I was out & about in London yesterday running various errands which couldn't be avoided as I'm just about to fly to California for work. I was walking around in the middle of the day (unfortunately) and it was hot, but I lived in Sydney for 20 years and it was no worse than a very hot day in January there - except we'd get 3 or 4 days (or more) in a row of over 35 degrees without the drop in temperature at night. But the Tube was quite empty and cool - even the Tube walking tunnels were cooler than above ground!

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

I was reading about a heatwave back in 1967 when it got so hot in London that some penguins were taken to an ice rink because the zoo wasn't safe for them in the heat. Apparently it was in the low 80s. That's what counted as sweltering heat half a century ago - happy days! The poor penguins at Chessington Zoo these days, where heatwaves get into the triple figures. http://news.bbc.co.uk/onthisday/hi/dates/stories/august/24/newsid_3019000/3019810.stm

Edited by Melody