ROH Seating - mainly amphitheatre

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw Giselle today from row A of the amphitheatre, and it was indeed a very enjoyable experience! Absolutely no issue with regards to my height. I was surprisingly close enough to figure out their facial expressions in Act 1 (Act 2 takes place in slightly darker lighting conditions, so it was a little less clear, but not detrimental to the experience). 

Thank you to everyone who responded for helping me fully enjoy my first trip to the ROH!

• Like 7

6 minutes ago, ELM said:

I saw Giselle today from row A of the amphitheatre, and it was indeed a very enjoyable experience!

You must have been close to me! I really think the middle of row A of the amphitheatre is for most programmes the best seat in the house and I'm glad you didn't have visibility problems. Not a good place if you're scared of heights though - when I come with my sister (who is thus afflicted) we always sit in row B!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, alison said:

I once made the mistake of going for lower slips standing - never again!  I don't usually suffer too much from vertigo, but this was too much for me.

It makes me feel wobbly even to look at them from the safety of an amphitheatre seat -  and I don't suffer from vertigo either! 

• Like 1

It really can be terrible if you do though! 
About five  years ago I got a real cheapo in the Upper Slips for an Opera which a couple of friends were keen to go to who had never been to the ROH. 
This was in Row A of the Upper Slips. 
I only went because I’m not much of an opera goer and thought I might enjoy it and that the slips would be okay for it though wouldn’t consider for ballet because of restricted view of the stage. 
Anyway I spent the whole performance paralysed with fear gripping the rail and then having to fight off thoughts that the rail might give way at any moment and would be sent hurtling onto the Stalls below in front of the whole Auditorium ....as up there on the sides you are looking back onto practically the whole audience or that’s what it seems like.
At the same time was trying to pretend everything was fine for my friends who were absolutely loving the experience!! 

I still can’t remember the name of the Opera that day though it was a light one not a heavy one......luckily ...or might have been tempted to jump to get the agony over! 
Seriously though I’m sure that was the beginning of these vertigo episodes as it is comparatively recent onset vertigo and now even have a problem with the Amphi unless the seat is at the end of a row ....and definitely with the Upper reaches of the Royal Albert Hall 😳 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LinMM said:

It really can be terrible if you do though! 
About five  years ago I got a real cheapo in the Upper Slips for an Opera which a couple of friends were keen to go to who had never been to the ROH. 
This was in Row A of the Upper Slips. 
I only went because I’m not much of an opera goer and thought I might enjoy it and that the slips would be okay for it though wouldn’t consider for ballet because of restricted view of the stage. 
Anyway I spent the whole performance paralysed with fear gripping the rail and then having to fight off thoughts that the rail might give way at any moment and would be sent hurtling onto the Stalls below in front of the whole Auditorium ....as up there on the sides you are looking back onto practically the whole audience or that’s what it seems like.
At the same time was trying to pretend everything was fine for my friends who were absolutely loving the experience!! 

I still can’t remember the name of the Opera that day though it was a light one not a heavy one......luckily ...or might have been tempted to jump to get the agony over! 
Seriously though I’m sure that was the beginning of these vertigo episodes as it is comparatively recent onset vertigo and now even have a problem with the Amphi unless the seat is at the end of a row ....and definitely with the Upper reaches of the Royal Albert Hall 😳 

I'm no good with heights at all (more of a fear of falling really) which is why I avoid the amphitheatre (I've only sat there three times and that was out of necessity). The thought of standing in the slips.....😬

• alison changed the title to ROH Seating - mainly amphitheatre