Russian style ballet schools in UK or Europe please?

TwoLeftFeet

I have researched Russian style ballet full-time upper schools in UK and have found - are there any more out there?

London Russian Ballet School

Bristol Russian Ballet School

Kings International Ballet Academy

What sort of style do the other more popular names teach i.e. ENBS, Royal, Elmhurst, Tring, Royal Conservatoire, Central School of Ballet, Northern Ballet?

Europe:    I have mostly looked at Germany where the majority seem to be Russian style.  The main four being John Cranko, School of the Hamburg Ballet, State Ballet School of Berlin and Mannheim.       What other German option are out there that you have come across?

Next, what about other European schools favour Russian style?

2 minutes ago, TwoLeftFeet said:

I have researched Russian style ballet full-time upper schools in UK and have found - are there any more out there?

London Russian Ballet School

Bristol Russian Ballet School

Kings International Ballet Academy

What sort of style do the other more popular names teach i.e. ENBS, Royal, Elmhurst, Tring, Royal Conservatoire, Central School of Ballet, Northern Ballet?

Europe:    I have mostly looked at Germany where the majority seem to be Russian style.  The main four being John Cranko, School of the Hamburg Ballet, State Ballet School of Berlin and Mannheim.       What other German option are out there that you have come across?

Next, what about other European schools favour Russian style?

Speaking with first hand experience. 

NBS in Manchester follow the RAD syllabus but also offer pupils the opportunity to take ISTD Adv1 & 2 ballet exams. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mummy twinkle toes said:

2 others include Natalie Kremen and Masters of Ballet Academy. Both offer pre vocational training/ private training and are serious training institutes based in London. 

But from what I've read neither are full-time upper schools though  - very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong... 

Edited by TwoLeftFeet

Tring does RAD and Cecchetti, Ballet West RAD, Central is Vaganova-based, RBS is their own style, ditto ENBS, don't know about the rest. At upper school level they are all also teaching above and beyond anything covered by the examining bodies. 

• Like 1

By 16 years old, UK vocational dancers other than WL may have vocational advanced exams under their belt in one or two styles and are skilled in adapting style and language for choreographers and teachers

Maybe if you research the teachers although they might not be qualified ballet teachers, they may have a Russian background/training and meet your brief 

just an idea 

• Like 1

On 07/05/2019 at 19:16, TwoLeftFeet said:

But from what I've read neither are full-time upper schools though  - very happy to be corrected if I'm wrong... 

Not official upper schools but do offer private coaching as do Bristol Russian. An expensive option though. Have you considered Russia? Olga at Masters of Ballet or Chika at Bristol could provide you with information. Bolshoi are running a summer school in Italy.

Edited by Mummy twinkle toes
More information.
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, Pas de Quatre said:

Why are you asking this TwoLeftFeet?  Is it purely theoretical interest or are you planning to audition somewhere for training?  And if so, what training have you had so far?

We are looking into upper schools for 2020.  My dd was RAD trained and then moved to a Russian styled school.  She prefers the Russian style by far and would like to apply for an upper school that teaches in that style.  I'm not finding many in UK so far so wondered if there were more.

Does the Russian styled school where your dd is training have any advice?  The top Upper Schools in UK tend to embrace what you might call an "International" style of training, many with a Vaganova influence.  However, if you are based in UK, you could go for some coaching with one of the Russian schools mentioned, Masters of Ballet, Natalie Kremen, Bristol Russian, London Russian and see what they advise.  All have kept contact with the schools and companies in Russia and have pupils who have gone there for full time training.  Also, many Eastern European countries have Vaganova based schools.

• Like 2

London Russian in Clapham is the only full time vocational school with Vaganova training. Others mentioned above are more pre-vocational trainings (up to 16) or used as supplement training (private coaching, master classes or summer schools)...

• Like 2

Yes that's what I mean Flexy. As TwoLeftFeet's dd must just be finishing Yr10 at present if she is auditioning in Yr 11 for US entry in 2020, now would be the time to go for extra coaching, summer school etc. at the schools I mention in my last post.

• Like 1

So has she decided Russian training in Russia is too daunting?

DS always regretted not going at 16 (he stayed on in USA at a Russian based school mainly to get his high school diploma but in retrospect that was a mistake - he'd have been better off at the Vaganova sooner....)

17 minutes ago, CeliB said:

So has she decided Russian training in Russia is too daunting?

DS always regretted not going at 16 (he stayed on in USA at a Russian based school mainly to get his high school diploma but in retrospect that was a mistake - he'd have been better off at the Vaganova sooner....)

Pm'ing you!

On 08/05/2019 at 05:24, Sam said:

La Scala, Milan

The La Scala Academy has a different focus now, than a few years ago, I am afraid, even then it wasn't a place where I would send my daughter to. John Cranko Schule in Stuttgart for many years has been the best in Germany and one of the best in the World. Its pre-professional program is free tuition. Currently, there are many foreigners at both the Vaganova Academy and Moscow State Academy of Choreography. Our own boy, Aaron Osawa-Horowitz will be among the best Vaganova students graduating this year.

Kings could be a very good fit. Both my Dds are Legat and RAD trained. They are associates with them and eldest is with Bristol Russian Youth Co. Kings have another associate audition coming up and Bristol could have space in their youth co. She could audition and then see what she thinks, if currently in yr10.

• Like 1

German ballet schools are mostly Vaganova based; since the tradition of teachers come from Russian teachers; for ex John Cranko Stutgart, Hamburg, Munich, partially Berlin. Hungary, Bulgaria, Turkey these all study in Russian style.

• Like 1