English National Ballet Presents Broken Wings

Since many of you in this forum are in England, I was wondering if any have seen this ballet; would love to hear your thoughts about it. I adore almost anything about Frida Kahlo so I wish Broken Wings would make it here to The States. Since at the moment I am out of luck in that regard, if anyone out there is attending the April performances and is interested in being the eyes and ears of The Traveling Ballerina, I would love to chat about you writing a review for the website - it would be wonderful to expose more of the going-ons in London to those on the other side of the Atlantic :)

• Like 1

I loved it, Travelling Ballerina. Colourful and quirky, enjoyable choreography, catchy music, everything that a contemporary ballet should be. Last time round we had the charismatic pairing of Tamara Rojo and Irek Mukhamedov as Frida and Diego, not sure about the latest castings, or what anyone else thought, but I am certainly looking forward to seeing it again.

• Like 3

8 minutes ago, Scheherezade said:

I loved it, Travelling Ballerina. Colourful and quirky, enjoyable choreography, catchy music, everything that a contemporary ballet should be. Last time round we had the charismatic pairing of Tamara Rojo and Irek Mukhamedov as Frida and Diego, not sure about the latest castings, or what anyone else thought, but I am certainly looking forward to seeing it again.

Aaaaah! Everything I imagine it would be - I'm envious!

• Like 1

I love Broken Wings too and, last time round, Begona Cao was an amazing Frida as well. Her Diego (Max Westwell) has now left the Company but there is one particular character dancer within ENB who I can visualise donning the necessary 'fat suit' to excellent effect.

• Like 2

I second Scheherezade's comments. We absolutely loved it last time round and the pairing in April with Rite of Spring, plus a new piece by Stina Quagebeur, makes for a dream programme.  The other element I hope makes a reappearance is the amazing Kahlo-themed front cloth by Grayson Perry, a photo of which I still have set as my laptop background. link here

Edited by Quintus
  • Like 3

Thanks for the picture of the front cloth Quintus, I'd forgotten how colourful it was.  I also like your own photo, or rather what I think is a baby seal, I've been downloading lots of photos of them recently after seeing one in the newspaper, they are so sweet!

20 minutes ago, Beryl H said:

Thanks for the picture of the front cloth Quintus, I'd forgotten how colourful it was.  I also like your own photo, or rather what I think is a baby seal, I've been downloading lots of photos of them recently after seeing one in the newspaper, they are so sweet!

Thanks. I took that photo in Norfolk, there's a big seal colony off Blakeney which is well worth a visit if you're ever out that way.

• Like 5