http://www.balletcoforum.com/topic/19256-john-curry-film-2/

1 hour ago, ninamargaret said:

Does anyone remember seeing John Curry dance an extremely sultry looking tango with a skater called, I think, JoJo Starbuck?.It was quite something!

I did find that on youtube..tremendous--but while I was looking I also found this film ( the Twyla Tharp piece) of John apparently skating in heaven.

May it be so...

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Mary said:

I did find that on youtube..tremendous--but while I was looking I also found this film ( the Twyla Tharp piece) of John apparently skating in heaven.

May it be so...

Thank you for pointing me to that, Have just watched it and enjoyed it as much as when I first saw it. Having seen old clips of him, Robin Cousins and Torvill  and Dean I don't . . .think skating has improved. Far flashier, less beautiful, maybe more suitable to be classified as a sport. Never mind, Winter's tale tomorrow - that'll keep.me quiet!

• Like 5

I saw Curry skate quite a bit when he toured his ice show which was quite revolutionary at the time as was very artistic and musical show unlike the usual skating shows at the time. Unfortunately there is nothing like this much today.

A few years back there was talk of building a new ice rink in Brighton ( when Cousins lived here) near the Marina and I had high hopes that some shows  like this might materialise again but nothing came of it and now even the small ice rink in the town centre has gone.

The biggest "crime" was getting rid of the lovely ice rink in Richmond down by the river....the first rink I skated ( very badly) at.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, ninamargaret said:

Does anyone remember seeing John Curry dance an extremely sultry looking tango with a skater called, I think, JoJo Starbuck?.It was quite something!

I remember him dancing with JoJo, but not specifically the tango.

4 minutes ago, LinMM said:

Great ice dancing from Curry!! I was trying to remember where he had the London shows...it wasn't at Sadlers Wells was it....could they have "iced" the stage?!!

Nina Margaret there is still an annual ice show in Brighton but it's at the Brighton Centre which is temporarily turned into an ice rink in January.

Just off the main shopping centre...could be called Sussex Road ....there was a small rink at the top of this road. It was here for a couple of years at least when I first  moved here (in 2000) so must have closed down around 2003-5ish  I think. 

One year around 2000-02 there was a Christmas rink at the Marina and Jane Torvill was giving lessons there from real beginners to couples who looked pretty pro. She was lovely  with everybody. That was when all the talk was about this new ice rink proposal for just west of the Marina at Black Rock. It was exciting at the time but I think the finance just didn't come through in the end.....ice rinks are expensive to upkeep. 

You have to laugh though. A couple of years later there was going to be a swimming pool on the same site ....well that died a death.

The last I heard it was a hotel!! But still a blank space at the moment. 

I saw Curry and his company at least once at the Royal Albert Hall.

That After All solo is magnificent.

• Like 3