choices at 16

bethany

37 minutes ago, Vonrothbart said:

I think you've hit the nail right on the head Pointetoes, they are all different. How one reacts to say an injury or an illness, will be totally different to how another does. it might make one homesick, and the other might be more resilient. 

Sorry to digress wildly off topic (please forgive me admin!), but I’ve read your footnote quote 3 times now Vonrothbart and I don’t get it?? 

27 minutes ago, BlueLou said:

Sorry to digress wildly off topic (please forgive me admin!), but I’ve read your footnote quote 3 times now Vonrothbart and I don’t get it?? 

I read that as meaning they are all different. Someone being homesick may make others feel homesick or it may make others determined to be ok. Some may catch every single illness going and where as some may ignore being ill etc 

Wow that's a heck of a question to answer, it depends on the individual I suppose. I have my own reasons, you could relate it to the topic Pointetoes, but I never intended to as it's there all the time. It's a line from a Bob Dylan song, who I've been very interested in for many years, "Love Minus Zero No Limit" look it up.

• Like 1

Hee hee that explains it then Vonrothbart!! A Bob Dylan quote....he is often a bit cryptic in his songs ....love him though....spent a large part of my time supposed to be doing A level homework writing out the words of his songs!!

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, Pointetoes said:

I read that as meaning they are all different. Someone being homesick may make others feel homesick or it may make others determined to be ok. Some may catch every single illness going and where as some may ignore being ill etc 

Sorry Pointetoes - I think we’re at crossed purposes! I was referring to a cryptic quote about success and failure which appears as a footnote to VR’s posts. But now I am on my phone I realise you can only see the footnotes if you’re on a computer! In my defence, and in a desperate bid to drag us back on track, I am a bit distracted because I am currently sitting at a railway station waiting to welcome dd home for half term 😁

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BlueLou said:

Sorry Pointetoes - I think we’re at crossed purposes! I was referring to a cryptic quote about success and failure which appears as a footnote to VR’s posts. But now I am on my phone I realise you can only see the footnotes if you’re on a computer! In my defence, and in a desperate bid to drag us back on track, I am a bit distracted because I am currently sitting at a railway station waiting to welcome dd home for half term 😁

Oh that makes sense, I must confess I am always on my phone or a tablet. 

Have a great half term 😀

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Vonrothbart said:

I think you've hit the nail right on the head Pointetoes, they are all different. How one reacts to say an injury or an illness, will be totally different to how another does. it might make one homesick, and the other might be more resilient. 

My dd had both physical and emotional trauma - homesickness/living independently was not the issue. The trouble lay elsewhere and had everything to do with how it was handled by the school. There is a limit as to how resilient anyone can be at 17.

• Like 1

Yes, Child Benefit stops because the HND, Level 6 Diploma or Degree the student is taking is above Level 3 on the National Qualifications Framework. 

If the student takes A Levels alongside the vocational qualification then I believe they are still eligible for Child Benefit for the duration of the A Level course (usually 2 years). 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bethany said:

Does anybody know when the Dada income scales are likely to be available for next year? At the moment it says 2018-2019. Does it often change? 

Also is it correct that child benefit would stop? 

Having watched the DaDa scales for a couple of years before we embarked on that route, it has been the case that they change only very slightly, possibly approximately matching inflation rates. Of course, next year could be different, but I can’t see any specific reason why it would be. Julie W is right that Child Benefit can continue for 2 years if A levels are taken. 

It was around 11 years ago that my daughter started full time training, away from home, at the age of 16, so my experience is coloured with hindsight.

She lived in UNITE student halls, open to all students.  UNITE did try to group the dance students together, so in her first year she was in a flat with 4 other 1st year students from her course. 

The course had a mixed age range intake - but this was more of a benefit than anything else.  In her flat she was the youngest.  The eldest was 10 years older than her.  They looked after each other and developed strong bonds which lasted into their professional careers.  

She still needed a lot of support, was often homesick and I don't know what we would have done without mobile phones, but at the same time she seemed to love what she was doing, and wouldn't have wanted to do anything different.   I'm not sure it would have been that different if her first taste of being away from home had been at 18.  

As a parent you have to let go, but still be there when needed.  But isn't that just part of being a parent?

If this is something your daughter really wants to do, and she understands the basics of looking after herself (cooking and cleaning) then don't rule it out.  But there are other options if she doesn't want to be away from home.

• Like 4

I do think it's an individual thing. Some older teenagers, however competently they can look after themselves, may not be up to living away from home.  I went away from home for the first time to join a ballet company, when I was 19. I travelled around Europe auditioning on my own, was clearly capable of looking after myself, but when it came to living in a room all on my own I was hopelessly lonely and homesick.  Later on I took a room in a communal building where I could pop into other dancers' rooms and there I was fine. I needed a substitute for my very close family. Of course that was before mobile phones and instant messaging, so we were really on our own! 

• Like 4