TabbyCool

I have a ballet show coming up soon and I get to wear a sparkly crown, however, it weighs around 230g and I’m not entirely sure how to attach it to my head! It has 4 little metal loops underneath and was supplied with 4 bobby pins (ha!), I’m thinking of threading elastic or wires through the loops, criss-crossing in the middle to give me more to attach pins to, but I’m still not sure how to get it to stay put securely enough to withstand chaine turns, releves and a fair few pas de chat! Has anyone else had to do something similar? Any advice will be most appreciated!

5 hours ago, Emilie said:

Could you do a crown braid around the top of your head so the crown has something to sit snugly on?

I was thinking something along those lines, with wires threaded through the braids, but I have to do it myself and I’m not very good at these things! 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, junedancer said:

Would there be anyway to attach elastic to it? You could then either have it under you chin or take it to the back behind your ears.  If you can’t get a flesh colour you can use makeup to hide it as best you can.

I could attach elastic to it, but I don’t think it’d really help much, even party hats don’t stay on if I put the elastic behind my head, and it’d be really obvious under the chin and would still fall off, it’s too heavy to be held on like that, it’s going to have to be secured to my hair somehow, but my hair isn’t good at behaving!

• Like 1

It’s a shame it’s so heavy. Perhaps you can practice anchoring it and trying to dance with it on and see what happens. I know what you mean about completing a look. My eldest dd had a beautiful winter coat with Russian “fur” trim on the wrists and a tiny muff. She looked adorable in it (she was two) and I desperately wanted a Russian hat to complete the look. Both of her godmothers trawled the more expensive shops in London and came up empty. It was so good of them and we were all disappointed.

4 minutes ago, Fiz said:

It’s a shame it’s so heavy. Perhaps you can practice anchoring it and trying to dance with it on and see what happens. I know what you mean about completing a look. My eldest dd had a beautiful winter coat with Russian “fur” trim on the wrists and a tiny muff. She looked adorable in it (she was two) and I desperately wanted a Russian hat to complete the look. Both of her godmothers trawled the more expensive shops in London and came up empty. It was so good of them and we were all disappointed.

That sounds adorable!

I’ll definitely need a couple of practise runs with it to make sure it’s secure, I don’t have any plastic thread yet and am off work sick, I may try attaching it tomorrow with some darning thread or something just as a proof of concept, knowing my luck someone will knock on the door when I’m half way through putting it on though, I’m sure it’ll look great with my pyjamas!

I tried uploading a picture but I’m on my iPad and the screenshots are too big, so here’s a link to the crown I bought!

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071771Q81/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_tai_xWImBbKJRS6ZT

Edited by TabbyCool
  • Like 2

Something I have done before is to get some net fabric same colour as DD's hair and make a wide loop ( like elastic on a hat behind head)   Stitch the crown to the net . You can then grip the net to hair in many places. I was lucky and got a good colour match and it did not show. Hope this makes sense.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Fiz said:

Very pretty! What colour is your tutu?

I’ve got a white romantic style one, it’s not actually a proper ballet one, but is way more flattering since I have big hips and it flares out from the waist rather than the hip like most ballet ones. I’ll be wearing all white with long pointy nails, I’m the Snow Queen, even though it’ll be July! My ballet teacher is a bit mad, haha!

• Like 2

Thanks everyone, I’m going to practise tomorrow with some darning thread or something and see how it goes, then I just need to get over this virus so I can get back to class and sort out my chaine turns en pointe! Only got a couple of weeks! 

• Like 2

Hey :) Google “horse hair” it’s nothing to do with horse hair but is a plastic mesh in a diamond form, used in millinery. You can get it in different colours to match your hair - or buy white and spray it. Then overstitch it securely all around the bottom of the crown, and you then use the horse hair to push through hundreds of bobby pins! Use bobby pins with the wavy side underneath for the best grip x 

• Like 1

On 26/06/2018 at 18:43, TabbyCool said:

Thanks everyone, I’m going to practise tomorrow with some darning thread or something and see how it goes, then I just need to get over this virus so I can get back to class and sort out my chaine turns en pointe! Only got a couple of weeks! 

Depending on the time between costume changes if any, I have seen dancers having their headdresses physically sewn onto their hair, once the hair is secured into a very tight bun. Not forgetting the ton of hairspray which stiffens the whole style. Obviously, this is not always practical for many productions as well as having to rely on another person being available to sew but maybe worth considering. Good Luck