Going Back to ballet continued...

Fiz

Do any of the adults do pointe work? I would love to try as my mum was not keen when I was younger and I only made it to grade 4 anyway! I have fairly high arches/ instep so can get my feet 'pointed' enough but what else should you look for? I worry about injuries when I see people 'en pointe' who clearly don't have the strength/ alignment, I don't want to end up breaking anything!

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

You are quite right to worry about people being on pointe who are obviously not ready for it!! Though most adult beginners pointe is only at the barre so you probably wouldn't break anything. I don't know where you are based but in London Franziska Rosenzweig does pointe work at Danceworks which I know she does safely but there are others at Danceworks and maybe Central adult classes too. If you are going to any graded classes I think pointe work is introduced round about Intermediate foundation or even grade6 level. To come back to your observations it's not just the feet which have to be strong.....it's the back as well so that you are fully pulled up off pointe so to speak otherwise all the weight is going down into the toes....not a good idea.....as my feet can testify to! This was because I was introduced to pointe work too soon at ten years old so now Ihave an ugly bunion!! However as adults feet are fully formed this may not be such an issue. Personally my pointe work days are over and would find pointe work at the barre a really boring part of a class much rather get on with some dancing!! But I can understand the fascination if you have never done it so have a go....find the right teacher to judge when you are properly ready first....you really must have good demi pointe work though. I think it's distressing to see people who cannot really pull up properly into demi struggling up onto full pointe. I'm sure there will be others on this forum who can also,recommend good teachers if you think you don't already have one.

• Like 1

Could you have a go at the Chelsea Ballet one Fiz or are you away then? As far as I understand you can do as many or as few classes as you wish. They're all individually priced so that's how you work out what you owe. If you were travelling up daily its a pity the Pilates class is so early....9.30 I don't think people who live in London realise how expensive early morning travel is up to London and for me I cannot use my senior rail pass that early so bit of a nuisance. I'm sure either myself or Michelle could send you the programme. I'm more likely to do the afternoon programme which has : a roughly intermediate ballet class; a pointe work class(which I won't do) and a contemporary class which I might give a go though haven't done contemporary for years. There is an easier ballet class in the morning too about 11ish I think. Like you Michelle I may try and fit in a couple of classes elsewhere in the week.....at Central and London Russian......that's if I'm not too knackered already!! Ive given up pointe work now(see above post) but if you've not done before you may need to get some advice on shoes etc. Usually beginners pointe work is all at the barre anyway so if nothing else you can hang on to that! Have you spoken to any of your teachers about this.....what do they think? We can PM each other if you want except that I haven't initiated one of those yet either.....only replied to others!!

Fiz: For Chelsea Ballet Summer School programme follow the Link http://www.chelsea-ballet.com/summerschool/

Lin: I already have Bloch Serenade pointe shoes, etc. Two of my teacher are quite keen to teach me, I guess with private lessons, but thats no problem for me. One of them I no longer see from my Lincoln class which is now closed but we exchanged emails again today and we keep in contact, the other is my teacher from the Angles Theatre and I already have private sessions with her on subjects of my choice.

Oh, I'd love to go. My dance teacher isn't anti me doing pointe as my previous one was. She thought adults shouldn't do point, full stop. I'm willing to wait but not forever! I've wanted to do pointe since I was three years old!

• Like 2

Thanks Lin, have seen some that there are some great classes in London but its too far for me to go on a regular basis. I have young children to fit around so am a bit limited. I do one adult class and one inter/ advanced class. The teacher for that class is fab (the class is above my level really but I really like the teacher), I may see whether I can do another of her classes. I've only been back at ballet for a year so i think I will probably leave it another year and then see, definitely not strong enough atm but its an itch that needs scratching! I wonder why your teacher was so dismissive fiz? I would have thought the potential for damage must be less as an adult. Hope your new teacher is more supportive, you must let me know if you make it en pointe!

• Like 2

Well if you have been waiting since you were three years old Fiz probably time to have a go!! I don't know how long you have been doing ballet but I think you said somewhere you're in an intermediate sort of level class so perhaps you are ready. I think these days you can even get pointe shoes made to measure. I did enjoy it for a while but always hated the shoes really and often kept wearing old pairs that were nice and soft so not that good for your feet either!! The problem is it takes a lot of practice to do good work in the centre and so for adults starting later its hard to get to a satisfying use of being en pointe......however even if one can accomplish eventually some simple bourrees across the room one can pretend you are Giselle in the second act!! A friend and I used to muck about one pretending to be Giselle and the other the Queen of the Wilis and take it in turns one whipping the veil off and the other doing those manic hops!! But it started with the sorrowful bourrees !! So hope you and Moomin do have a go. Franziska has also brought out a DVD on pointe work......I think you can order from her website which I'll check out and leave a post. I have a feeling there will be two pointe work sections in Chelsea Ballet Summer school one is for beginners and the others more advanced...one am one pm etc etc. Chelsea is more flexible than some which are set prices.

• Like 2

My feet need to be stronger, Lin. I've only been back for a year. It is an intermediate level, yes, but there are lots of gaps, I would imagine :) My teacher knows how much I want to do pointe and she was behind me and the new student last week as we were going out after class. She was asking me about pointe so I held forth. Our teacher laughed at the new one's horrified face - she thinks pointe shoes are barbaric - and said you have to be mad to do pointe so I was going in the right direction! ;)

• Like 1

I hope both Fiz and moomin get on to pointe! It's the most wonderful feeling and the best part of my class :) I'm thrilled that the Adv 1 dance is on pointe, it just changes the way I feel when I put my pointe shoes on!

Fiz it does seem barbaric to non dancers, I fitted shoes on my friend on Saturday (she's in her 50's) and her non DD daughter was with her and towards the end of the fitting i realised she was aghast at the conversation we'd been having about blisters, bunions, losing toe nails and all the risks of bad fitting pointe shoes ????

But it doesn't have to be that way!

Sx

• Like 5

All this talk about going on pointe, I must dust my pointe shoes out and get some tuition and practice before Chelsea Ballet Summer School.

We did our rehearsal last night and for once everyone was there, the sequence still needs a lot of polishing by everyone including me. I tend to dance ahead of the music as for a good deal of the sequence I’m in front and can’t see the rest of the dancers. On one part I can see the girl behind me in my peripheral vision as I think she is following me, but when I do a turn I have to be careful as I’m generally ahead of the rest and have to slow down to compensate. I tend to dance to the melody rather than counting every beet out. Also the music does change tempo half way through to complicate things a bit.

I checked our dress rehearsal day with my teacher, there is a two hour and fifteen minute window for me go from the Angles Theatre to Cambridge for the Romeo and Juliet repertoire workshop, I have emailed RAD for details as it looks as if I will be sweeeezing this one in now.

Tuesday was good at London again; Pineapple had some really good dancers in the class, in particular a young Chinese or Thai lady, beautiful turnout, extremely flexible, rock stable and wonderful hyper extension of her leg. I was so envious, thinking if only.

ENB was fun again; I like the class and the teacher. When I first met my teacher I made it clear I was positively seeking feedback, needless to say I now get it. She made me smile this week as she insist the class uses third position of the feet and I find that difficult not to slip into fifth. However this week I got into trouble as my third was turned out too far. Now I’m in the system I need to get on the next two levels in parallel for next term.

Today (Thursday) no morning ballet class as the hall is being used for elections. It was a wonderfully warm day in the garden, despite two broken nails and lots of scratches on the arm from severely pruning my conifers, which have got out of hand, I still enjoyed the break. Ballet at Kings Lynn tonight though.

• Like 1

I have no idea! :D I didn't go to class last night, sadly. I've had two weeks of hell at work and my hay fever is making me feel rough. I'm glad I didn't go as I had an asthma attack later and it would have scared my young teacher and our new young lady. Ah well, Scarlett, next Wednesday is another lesson ;)

Yesterday I did something have never done before with ballet....had a completely individual lesson. This was with Franziska Rosenzweig in her own studio and was for one hour and I can thoroughly recommend doing something like this as I learned a lot in that hour and the concentration involved was huge! It allows you to ask questions about what you are experiencing that you just couldn't do in a normal class of 10 or more people so you can make adjustments that are particularly relevant for you and your own situation. In Franziskas case she works holistically(why I wanted to work with her in first place) so looking at ballet technique in relation to your own body which as an adult dancer is just what I needed. This isn't cheap at £60 but I suppose what you might pay if you treat yourself to a good massage. For me it was money well spent though and I did work hard in the session. I will be booking another session anyway! And I certainly came out on a high! Franziska will do sessions for two people at £40....don't know whether for a very small group but you wouldn't want more than three I should think or the object of such sessions would then be lost.

Fiz hope you are feeling better today...I'd be interested to know whether doing ballet has helped your Asthma....but maybe on a new thread I may start called Ballet and Health.

Michelle I sympathise with the gardening as my partner has just had a double hernia op I'm having to do all the digging at mo and on the allotment too so biceps are bulging at mo....not so desirable for ballet I feel!!!

Lin: OK about the gardening, I absolutely love being outside in the sun shine, I have about a half acre of grounds with 400ft of river frontage, and it does need a lot of upkeep though, but that keeps me fit and young.

I think great minds think alike with your comment of private lessons. I’ve been having them for a while with my Angles Theatre teacher prior to our class. That way I have control over the subject matter and that works well for me.

Went to my Kings Lynn class tonight, the other two girls were there this week, one said she only came this week as she knew it was my week, so I ask them to inform our school when they couldn’t make it. I also ask my teacher that when the other girls were absent, could  we switch to repertoire work for me, and then I told her what I initially required,  the lady said YES, that’s absolutely brilliant. That really put a spring in my step.

A ballet free day tomorrow (Friday), then Elite Academy of Dance at Grantham on Saturday to look forward too.

Fiz: Oh you poor thing, I hope you soon recover and get dancing again, we all need our ballet fix.

• Like 1

I'm sure you will love it!! I have wrestled with this idea for a while now was it just too extravagant at my age to be having private lessons but then I thought if you were learning to play a musical instrument you would have to be on one to one basis mainly and anyway what the heck who knows how much longer will be able to carry on with ballet so might as well give myself as much help as possible!! It's also learning about your own body and what is best for that as an older person. Anyway I was inspired enough to want another one and there's no hiding!! Good luck for the 10th then!

I'm fine, thanks, ladies, although I am slightly puzzled as to why I had an asthma attack as I know me triggers and I can't pin this one down to anything. I was fine yesterday. I think maybe my job is getting me down. It's relentless, hard, physical work. I wasn't doing anything last night - why couldn't it have waited 24 hours :)

I saw the earlier posts about leotards and just thought I would add that the revolution ones from dance direct seem to be generous in their sizing, some of them are reduced at the moment too. I'm a size 16 and bought 2 leotards in size XL (size chart shows that as size 14), they're slightly snug across the shoulders but I'm quite tall and broad, definitely wearable though. The length is perfect despite my height (5'10") and the best bit is they don't dig into my bum which is usually the worst area for leotards/swimsuits on me!!

• Like 2

Thanks Aurora. I seem to be particularly sensitive to leotards pressing down on the shoulders for some reason. I hate to feel that compression especially when arms in fifth! Hence so far haven't felt comfortable in any of the standard sizes. However I have sent my exact measurements to JustBallet and hopefully will have one made now!! I am quite broad across the back and shoulders....probably if had a smaller frame these XL sizes would fit! Also something Ive noticed in recent years because of extra weight on the arms that if there is a discrepancy between top and bottom it is likely that I'm larger on top now whereas when younger was the other way round( bottom half size 12 top size10!!) I usually fit into most high street size 16....but occasionally the bottom half is 16 but the top more18 if the cut is on small side. This may explain the leotard problem. Some people are just not one size!! But thanks for info anyway.

It was the width across the shoulders so they don't press down, just sort of squeeze in a bit!! Nice loetards though, almost just right for me which was a big surprise as I was expecting to have to send them straight back!

• Like 1

Really sounds like they should fit Aurora as I'm only 5ft 8ins have just lost a bit of faith with most people's standard leotards but I will have a look at the ones you are describing on Dance Direct

I went for revolution because it's an American brand and I thought their sizing might be a bit better for me!

I have just drop an order for a couple of Revolution XL leo's, as they are on offer too. Their Plume XL's are just a bit small for my bust, so I hope these have got a little bit more room.

I was on the Dance Direct website and have to say don't really understand their size charts

It looks promising at first as they mention this xxlarge size for size 14plus etc but then when you look at the chart underneath with weight and height on it there's then no mention of this xxlarge size only large is mentioned which is a size 12!!

In fact this Large size covers people from 5ft 3ins to 5ft 11 ins

And people who weigh between 63kgs to 69kgs(the top weight on chart)

So when I go along for my weight (which this am was 70.5kg) and my height I'm told I'm a large......which is their size12!!!

I am a size 16 at least their xx large size which is nowhere to be seen when looking at any of their leotards.

Perhaps Ive misunderstood this chart.......but anyway my gripe is that I would like to be able to go into at least one of the ballet shops in London and find a leotard which fits. I'm not a big Internet buyer really and hate having to send things back and forth. However looks like I will have to do this as obviously in the ballet world a size 16 is a no-no!!

Hi Lin

Dance Direct XXL does exist but only in a few Plume leotards and then its only the black ones, these are the one’s I usually buy. It’s also worth giving these places a ring, that’s what I did with “Dancing in the street” and they were very helpful, however I don’t understand their sizing numbers, so I went to see them. I bought 2 that were equivalent to 16/18 and another that was too long when tried on so I went down to the equivalent of size 14 which seem to fit quite well.

• Like 1

Did Pineapple and ENB yesterday, managed to boro a spare studio for a bit of extra practice after class at Pineapple. I’ve managed to turn the 1 hour long journey to and from London into something useful. I have stacks of ballet training DVD’s that I never get chance to watch, with a small light DVD player in my travel bag, problem solved. My first assignment yesterday was to familiarise myself with the Romeo and Juliet by the Royal Ballet, this was in preparation for the RAD repertoire workshop on Romeo and Juliet. Watching the DVD, nothing stood out as being obviously suitable so I enlisted the help of two of my ENB teachers. Both seem to think a simplified version of “Dance of the Knights” is the most likely.

RAD at this time are not giving anything away, other than it must be decided no later than two weeks before the workshop to allow the pianist time to rehears. So I guess its wait and see, but no good for dancer preparation.

This RAD workshop sounds interesting Michelle.....is this on their website and can anyone go or is it liked to your ENB classes.....would love to do those but you have to guarantee getting up to London regularly once a week as paid for in advance and can't do that. Wold be interested to know anyway

Hi Lin

Its nothing to do with ENB, they are aiming for a maximum of 20-22 dancers, its at Cambridge, Ive already swapped a few emails with them. Here is the link http://www.rad.org.uk/article_pink.asp?id=119 see what you think, so they have 4 confirmed dancers including me, 6 that they are expecting to respond and whoever else is coming along.

Its a pity I missed the Coppelia one, they have now added me to their mailing list for adult repertoire workshops.

Edited by Michelle_Richer

Hi Michelle just looked and would have been great as have friends in Cambridge so easy to stay etc but am up in Haworth that weekend.....we have this college reunion thing going and each person in the group takes it in turns to organise it.....next year it's Brighton so better start planning now!!!! Last year it was in Ross on Wye and took a slightly macabre turn with us speculating who would end up being the last two to meet up as we're all,getting so ancient....but I digress.....

I didn't know about these RAD workshops so will keep my eye out in future though last year they did email me about their adult classes and they are great if you live in London but its the same as with ENB ones you do need to pay up front and be able to attend each week. They do have this great Saturday dance day each week where you can combine different classes and I might think about that for next year when I'm that bit fitter as wasn't sure could cope with more than one class a day last autumn......will certainly find out this summer anyway! Have just today finally booked the Chelsea Summer School!!

Hi Lin

Now I’m on RAD's mailing list for Repertoire Workshops I will post them on this forum as I get to know. I’ve also just sent a follow-up email to Birmingham Royal Ballet as that’s something we talked about with them at the end of their insight day and I backed it up at the time with a formal email of the discussion.

No ballet for me in the last two days, I’m thick with a heavy cold plus I seem to have hurt my knee, but not at ballet. It was OK yesterday morning when I did my body balance class, I think I twisted afterwards on some steps but not 100% sure, anyway I cant straiten it, and the knee cap is very sensitive and tender plus a sports support on it doesn’t help, I just hope its healed enough for Ballet on Saturday.