Leotard sizing advice

Clarkd3

Hi I’d like to buy my 12yr old  DD a non regulation leotard for her upcoming 13th birthday as a surprise but she is petite (wears age 11 clothes or sz 4 in primark) and I’m not sure what size to buy her? There is less choice in the age 12 -14 sizes and I’m a little wary of buying too small with no growing room however I’m not sure if adult petite/ XS will be too big. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

1 hour ago, Clarkd3 said:

Hi I’d like to buy my 12yr old  DD a non regulation leotard for her upcoming 13th birthday as a surprise but she is petite (wears age 11 clothes or sz 4 in primark) and I’m not sure what size to buy her? There is less choice in the age 12 -14 sizes and I’m a little wary of buying too small with no growing room however I’m not sure if adult petite/ XS will be too big. Any advice would be much appreciated! 

Hi. 

I think it ll depend on which make. My dd (11 nearly) has width measurements of a 7-8 yr old but we need longer in body. I tend to go to the actual dance shop and take a leotard that fits well to compare actual size against other. Even same brands can vary 

• Like 1

Also worth noting is that child sizes can sometimes be wider in the waist than Adult XS which are often more shaped and go in at the waist.  My dd used to need slightly longer in the body but was better in Adult P/XS as the child sizes tended to go straight up and down with no waist, so were baggy on her width-wise.  

What size and make syllabus leotard fits her? 

• Like 2

As soon as my DD was about 12 we started buying extra small adult dance wear instead of Teen sizes . Same with stage wear. Teen dancewear appears rather square and lacks any shape. Thin straps can always been shortened if needed.  Extra small adults also appear to have more styles available. Which is always an advantage with the up and coming teenager. 

I agree with the above ideas! Size charts are helpful, but the best thing is to lay the new leo ok top of one that you know fits. Sizes vary from brand to brand and also from style to style within each brand! 

I often lay leotards on top of each other and send photos to parents to help with sizing! 😂 Just shout if you need any more help on specific styles x

• Like 2

I too have a very tall very slim daughter (age 10) and we found the teen leotards weren't great on her. She has a mix of bloch petite (starting to get a bit short) and small. they fit her well. Capezio ladies ones can tend to be a bit too shaped for her as she still has a childlike figure but on the whole the petite ones have been great. this one in particular has been a really good fit on her as it seems to come up very slim http://www.dancerunway.com/dancewear#!/Bloch-Tape-bust-cami-leo/p/74307322/category=21037164 

I would just add a warning (or two): My DD (now 14, adult size 6, 160cm tall) usually wears XS but in some styles of WearMoi needs an Adult S, and in Plume definitely an Adult S. I agree with all the other comments about the teen sizes being too wide – DD has a 24in waist and age 12-14 is usually baggy in the waist and seat.

• Like 1

My DD is a UK size 6 and is 5ft 4 inches  tall.  I always buy her an Adult XS in every make but Plume where she needs a small.  Waist is actually a size 4 but rest of her is a 6 so adult is a necessity for the tapered waist - can still look a little baggy sometimes.  Nightmare buying jeans, skirts etc.  She is 18 this month and still fits into River Islands age 11-12.  Bonus for prices though

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Huddsballetmum said:

My DD is a UK size 6 and is 5ft 4 inches  tall.  I always buy her an Adult XS in every make but Plume where she needs a small.  Waist is actually a size 4 but rest of her is a 6 so adult is a necessity for the tapered waist - can still look a little baggy sometimes.  Nightmare buying jeans, skirts etc.  She is 18 this month and still fits into River Islands age 11-12.  Bonus for prices though

I'm glad to hear you agree with me about Plume – who on earth would fit their XS then? Or is S their smallest size?