Adult Ballet RAD grades uniform, help!

cavycapers

My adult ballet class, both men and women, are going to try RAD Grade 3 ballet exams.  Does anyone know what the requirements are for uniform for adults, I'm guessing it's not the same as for children, but can't see any information about it? 

Edited by cavycapers

Uniform isn't specific to age, but by grade, so for grade 3 the specification says:

For females

Sleeveless or short sleeved scooped neck leotard in pink, lilac, marine blue, mulberry, lavender or navy (any matt effect fabric), with matching elasticated belt
Pink soft ballet shoes in satin, canvas or leather, with pink elastic or ribbons (Split sole shoes are permitted)
Candidates cannot dance barefoot for any part of their examination, Class Award or Solo Performance Award, with the exception of the ‘free choice’ dance in the Solo Performance Award
Option of short pink socks or pink tights

For males:

White short sleeved leotard or well-fitted t-shirt with navy shorts
Navy stirrup tights may be worn instead of shorts
White ballet shoes in canvas or leather, with white elastic
Short white socks

So basically a plain leotard with tights & shoes.

If you have a look at the 'ballet wear & props' section on the RAD online shop, there is a whole separate section for adult ballet wear. I'm sure they would be happy for any of those styles to be worn for a grade exam. The examination regulations mention that candidates aren't marked on what they are wearing.

https://www.royalacademyofdance.org/achieve/exams/teachers-entry-guide/uniform 

also pg31 to 35  of the specification document  

note  reference to  'guidelines'   and  'suitable alternatives'  etc ...    as i said in my  response at  0dark30  the topic has been discussed  before on the site , iirc  in regard to   dancewear for  for dancers  who are larger than the  standard (small) sizings that pervade the dancewear market ... 

I suppose I am trying to find out if the recommendations for adults taking the exams now are more relaxed than for the children.  We have all ages and sizes in our class, and some of the requirements for children are going to look pretty silly on adults of 60 and a size 16!  So I was hoping to hear from adults who have done the lower grade exams what they were allowed to wear.  As the grades used to be very fixed for different ages, the styles and colours became more grown up the higher you got.  But if an adult class wanted to start at grade 2, for instance, they would look ridiculous in pale pink leotards similar to those normally worn for that grade by 6 or 7 year olds.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cavycapers said:

I suppose I am trying to find out if the recommendations for adults taking the exams now are more relaxed than for the children.  We have all ages and sizes in our class, and some of the requirements for children are going to look pretty silly on adults of 60 and a size 16!  So I was hoping to hear from adults who have done the lower grade exams what they were allowed to wear.  As the grades used to be very fixed for different ages, the styles and colours became more grown up the higher you got.  But if an adult class wanted to start at grade 2, for instance, they would look ridiculous in pale pink leotards similar to those normally worn for that grade by 6 or 7 year olds.

I did Inter Foundation at 36 no way I'd fit into the uniform at a size 16 & 6'3" so I got as close as I could to it, my teacher has been examining for 30+ years, is a consistency examiner & as others above have said explained that the uniform is a guidance, no one has ever failed or lost marks for not having the right uniform, she's also examined people in their 40's doing grade 1 ( yes the watering can dance 🙂 )

What is important is to show up neat & tidy, hair in a neat bun etc as its about showing the right attitude.

Hope this helps.

• Like 1

I know it's not the grades but I have an idea the uniform for the repertoire classes which a fair amount of adults will be involved in is a longer skirt. They have some gorgeous longer skirts in lovely colours in Capezio now but the RAD also have their own version in two different lengths. They certainly suit the older maybe slightly larger lady and feel lovely on. I'm sure I do dance better when wearing one of these than when I just go into class wearing my tracksuit bottom type gear!! ( which I do a lot too!!)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, LinMM said:

I know it's not the grades but I have an idea the uniform for the repertoire classes which a fair amount of adults will be involved in is a longer skirt. They have some gorgeous longer skirts in lovely colours in Capezio now but the RAD also have their own version in two different lengths. They certainly suit the older maybe slightly larger lady and feel lovely on. I'm sure I do dance better when wearing one of these than when I just go into class wearing my tracksuit bottom type gear!! ( which I do a lot too!!)

; looking and feeling like a 'proper dancer'  certainly does help ... 

Well in the skirts I am talking about they do ....as mine is an "L" in a lovely dark lilac sort of colour!! This is the Capezio one though.

In fact even for me it's probably on the almost too longish side as the ones Dare to Pink lady has made for me we've got the length I like to a tee!! .....just below the knee ...So the ones in Capezio are slightly longer than that. 

When I looked at the RAD lengths ....would need to check....but thought the shorter length might be better though there sizes seem to,be in inches so would need to look at the tape measure!! 

Freeds said they could get one in for me if I checked exact size and colour online but then I saw a lovely colour that Dare to Pink was doing ....a sort of soft silvery grey and went for that instead and I think for me enough ballet skirts at mo!!

Edited by LinMM

13 hours ago, youngatheart said:

Just a shame they don't offer this uniform in larger sizes - L and XL....

we've had a  thread about larger sizes  

and @sophie_rebecca  has a post on her  blog  https://transdancers.wordpress.com/2016/12/09/adult-attire/

there is also discussion on the topic within the 'RAD intermediate foundation as an adult ' thread  

• Like 2