Finding The Money To Pay For Dance Training Expenses

WillowBallerina

Hi guys,

After having a talk with my Dad today about money and how much the next three years of my degree are going to cost I am left with the worry of where I'm going to find the money to pay for it all. I will have the fees and maintenance loan but that doesn't cover all the costs that I will face and my parents aren't going to be able to pay for it all as money is very tight at the moment, this means that I need to find the money myself. I currently don't have a job due to having dance so many days a week including A Level all day on a Saturday and allowing myself time to work on my A Levels. I would like to find a way of earning money to pay for the costs related to my course but I don't know what to do. I won't be able to have a job when I'm at school as I'm going to Ballet West so there isn't anything around their to get a job with.

Basically, I need advice on how to earn the money and if there is any way that you think I can be earning whilst studying. It's getting to the point now when I'm really panicking about what I'm going to do.

Thanks and I hope that the responses will also be useful to others on here starting or at Upper School.

• Like 1

A summer job after your A Levels? 

And while you're still at home, learn about cooking from scratch, using cheap healthy foods, such as beans/pulses (again cooking from scratch), batch cooking so that you always have something healthy even when you're very tired, and you don't spend money on lunch from a cafe or canteen. 

Also think of other ways you can live safely & well on a very sparse student budget - maybe get arty and creative with second-hand charity shop clothes (or learn to make your own), and so on?

I'm sure other posters will have other suggestions.

• Like 4

Apply for a summer job now so that have a post for when you finish your A levels and before you start Ballet West. Then save everything you earn towards your costs next year. 

Make sure you take advantage of as many student discounts as possible. Do Santander still do their student bank account with the free four year 16-25 railcard? 

• Like 1

Check vacancies in your local papers - shops and offices may look for "temps" to cover the summer holiday period.

If you've got a local cinema chain it may be worth enquiring if they have any summer jobs going.

You could prepare your CV and hand it in to various places.

• Like 1

Hi Willow,

Care work could be an option if you are over 18. The hours can be as flexible as you want and there is usually work available. Hospitals will usually require NVQ2 but nursing and residential homes will usually take on beginners. Pay varies between minimum wage up to £14 per hour for some agencies. 

Failing that dog walking or dog sitting could be a good summer job. Providing you like dogs. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, WillowBallerina said:

Hi guys,

After having a talk with my Dad today about money and how much the next three years of my degree are going to cost I am left with the worry of where I'm going to find the money to pay for it all. I will have the fees and maintenance loan but that doesn't cover all the costs that I will face and my parents aren't going to be able to pay for it all as money is very tight at the moment, this means that I need to find the money myself. I currently don't have a job due to having dance so many days a week including A Level all day on a Saturday and allowing myself time to work on my A Levels. I would like to find a way of earning money to pay for the costs related to my course but I don't know what to do. I won't be able to have a job when I'm at school as I'm going to Ballet West so there isn't anything around their to get a job with.

Basically, I need advice on how to earn the money and if there is any way that you think I can be earning whilst studying. It's getting to the point now when I'm really panicking about what I'm going to do.

Thanks and I hope that the responses will also be useful to others on here starting or at Upper School.

Besides working. Which is always a good start. You can also search for Bursaries in your local area. Those that support the Performing Arts. Ask at your local Town Hall, Department for Higher Education or even at your local theatre (if you have one). Well worth the cost of a few stamps. You could also practice your letter writing to some businesses especially those connected to the Arts. May take time but we’ll worth it. It took 32 letters but I managed last yr. 

Good Luck 

Ps. Summer jobs are great, if you can secure a zero hour contract at a place like the supermarkets they will probably keep a place open for you during the holidays.  Especially the Christmas break. Additional staff with no additional training at the busiest time of yr is always welcome. It’s an important factor to keep the ££ rolling in over the coming 3yrs and not just this summer. 

Edited by balletbean
  • Like 2

Have a look at the real food cafe in Tyndrum they often hire students from ballet west for casual hours and are quite good about you fitting it in around your dancing. There is also a tesco’s and a wetherspoons in Oban where some students also get jobs.

• Like 1