What does the RBS look for?

Balletmad97

The xraying of the wrist is indeed inaccurate as I know only too well. When I was very little, 8 or 9 my mother was worried I wasn't growing and took me to have my wrist x rayed. The doctor assured her I would be about her height which was a very respectable 5'5. Well I didn't grow anywhere near those lofty heights as I'm only 5'2. I'm still waiting to grow ! (I'm 49).

• Like 3

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hairbelles - how about a visit to WL for the summer fair - perhaps a balletcoforum get together there is in order! I've been every year since my son auditioned for JAs, so 12 years I think now :-) It's a lovely day.

What a super idea JulieW.........I will keep my eye on the RB website.

What a  lovely way to stay connected to the school .......we have often said we will miss our annual Christmas trips to Chester for the Carol service (and the all lovely shops).

Will you be organising the get together  ;)

With regard to predicted height I do not see how knowing the parents' heights gives anything other than a crude guess. My husband is 6 ft 2 I am 5 ft 2 - we have 2 daughters who should theoretically end up at 5 ft 5 but our eldest non dd is (and always has been) more of her fathers' build and is 5 ft 7 (and fully grown I hope!) but my youngest dd is (and always has been) more like my build. And it isn't just height is it? How can they predict limb length, proportions, head size, waist length and all the other physical characteristics that seem to be significant and equally as pre determined as height? 

My daughter was physically quite mature when she auditioned for year 7 last year (and I posted my paranoia about her being so tall at the time!!) To me that was an advantage in some respects as I think it is easier to see the adult physique/proportions she is going to have (I may be wrong...) Having had a couple of growth spurts recently she is the tallest girl in her year but I dare say by year 9 height wise they will all have evened out! 

I am sure that someone with direct experience of WL will know better than me and I am happy to be corrected but I have it on good authority that this year's year 7 at RBS are quite petite in height and build. 

But as many have said - you can only work with the body you have been given and there is nothing to be gained from worrying about things that you cannot change! (Easier said than done I know!)

Good luck to all auditioning at the moment - it is so interesting following your journeys. 

Angela x

• Like 3

According to Sir Robert Winston, there is an accurate predictor of height which involves roughly doubling the child's height at the age of 2 (can't remember the exact formula).

My mum accurately predicted both my and my brother's heights using the double the height at 2 method. Not much use for an application form though!

:)

I remember when my older (now non dd) was 18 months old, her adult height was predicted at 5' 31/2".  This turned out to be pretty accurate as she is now at age 21 5'4".  When my next daughter was 18 months old, a year or so later, they no longer predicted adult height as routine as they said it was so inaccurate.  I think all of my daughters have continued to change in body shape until well into their late teens and one at least looked like she was going to be tall and long legged, but now she is fully grown, she isn't at all!  But I wonder if dance panels are so experienced they can see signs that we can't?

My dd has a couple of friends in Yr 7 WL this year and I can tell you from the photos and film footage I have seen that they are certainly not all petite in height and build, they are a very mixed bunch.

Interesting Loulabelle it's all relative isn't it. The tallest year 7 at WL is a friend of my dd and she is a good few inches smaller than my dd. On her first day the WL staff thought she was a year 8 as she was 'so tall'! It will be interesting to see how the very varied heights in my dds year 7 class at Elmhurst balance out over the coming years! 

• Like 2

Interesting Loulabelle it's all relative isn't it. The tallest year 7 at WL is a friend of my dd and she is a good few inches smaller than my dd. On her first day the WL staff thought she was a year 8 as she was 'so tall'! It will be interesting to see how the very varied heights in my dds year 7 class at Elmhurst balance out over the coming years! 

Yes it must be as my DD was considered tall as a JA but is not as tall as the tallest three in WL. Out of interest as a mother of a perceived 'tall' dd, how tall is your dd? If you don't mind me asking? :)

Hi Loulabelle

She is 5 ft 2 in and was 12 in September. She was always one of the tallest in her JA and PVP class and has had a number of  growth spurts since September! She is also physically developed in other ways so 'mature' as well as tall maybe would be the best way to describe her physique! She was just average height in her class at school though! 

Ah thank you for sharing with me, gives me hope for my DD's future in ballet. Mine is nudging 4'11" (has just had a growth spurt) and is not developed in any way at all (not sure if thats good or bad :blink: ) She wasn't the tallest in her JA class, although she was very slightly taller than the current 4th tallest in WL yr7. It was always implied to me that she was too tall, she has legs to her armpits and gorilla arms but a short torso. My DD is also average height in her school year and very slim compared to many of her non dancing friends, but she's not skinny.

Who knows what they look for, I think its a lot to do with what they happen to like on the day!

• Like 1

Hi Loulabelle

Long limbs and are short torso are very desirable so I am led to believe! My dd has long limbs too but I'm not sure about her torso - never really looked at it in comparison to others but must make a mental note to myself to do so! Am also just about to send you a pm.

Angela x

Thanks for that lovely clip loulabelle! So nice to see all the kids. Still think all the girls seemed teeny tiny all !!. More variety in the boys. The boys in the front looked more like year 8 or 9 though, with the younger year 7s at the back?

Thanks for that lovely clip loulabelle! So nice to see all the kids. Still think all the girls seemed teeny tiny all !!. More variety in the boys. The boys in the front looked more like year 8 or 9 though, with the younger year 7s at the back?

Year 8s all in blue, year 7s wear black shorts! Boys!

edited to add boys!

Edited by hfbrew