Trouble at Italia Conti

Lisa O`Brien

Just read via an online Daily Mail post that the Italia Conti School is in deep financial trouble. They are having to sell their property, and staff , who apparently don't exist, have none the less still been "paid". Others , who have been hired to do work, have been paid cash in hand.  It's the oldest stage school in the country, and has been in operation for over a hundred years. https://www.dailymail.co.uk/Mystery-missing -millions-vicious-family-feud-breaks-Italia-Conti.  

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 2

I've seen this on another forum.

I'm no expert but I had a look on Companies House and their 2016 accounts look pretty bad and there were a couple of notices issued that were appealed against.  However the last set of accounts seem to indicate things are being turned around.

It's been known for a while that they are looking to move premises.

I wonder how much opf this is a disgruntled family member with a personal disagreement and how much is fact.

As a school (we were looking at 6th form/diploma) one of dd's teachers advised against it as she said standards wern't great and they didn't impress me at CDET so we crossed them off the list.

Edited by Picturesinthefirelight
  • Like 3

Well if the premises are anything to go by not very good at all. The changing rooms were really messy and dirty last time we rehearsed there about six months ago and none of their studios are exactly to die for. I do hope they find somewhere better though this may mean a move to somewhere not so central....though some might not think it was anyway.... but one of the pluses is that it's not far from Barbican tube etc.

1 minute ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Have there been further developments?

I have no idea. I googled the article and read some of the comments but that was about all I could find. I had a stand at Move it and they were there in force promoting the school and there isn't anything on there website about it but other then that I know nothing. 

2 minutes ago, Picturesinthefirelight said:

Its just you said they were closing down and no-one else or any of the links had said that.  Their accounts don't look good - but no one has said they are closing.

Ohh sorry probably not the best wording. Sorry for any confusion. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
On 11/04/2018 at 09:54, Picturesinthefirelight said:

I've seen this on another forum.

I'm no expert but I had a look on Companies House and their 2016 accounts look pretty bad and there were a couple of notices issued that were appealed against.  However the last set of accounts seem to indicate things are being turned around.

It's been known for a while that they are looking to move premises.

I wonder how much opf this is a disgruntled family member with a personal disagreement and how much is fact.

As a school (we were looking at 6th form/diploma) one of dd's teachers advised against it as she said standards wern't great and they didn't impress me at CDET so we crossed them off the list.

Any more news on the school?  Especially news for pupils starting in yr10. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, Jan McNulty said:

I've just done a quick Google - nothing else has showed up in the news.

Thank you. A move just intime for GCSE’s might not be ideal if they are experiencing certain issues.   Hope it all works out for their pupils. 

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

There's  a petition on Facebook which I signed.  Probably won't  help, but I did want to try.  My very first teaching job was at Contis as ballet mistress at the end of the 60s!   I was in a panto with a troupe from Contis.  They didn't give the poor kids enough rehearsal time so as Good Fairy/Principal Dancer, I decided I would work with them, because they looked up to me. I worked with them between shows to tidy the lines and correct their technique and after a week the ADs came to watch and were so impressed that they offered me a full time position.  I loved it there and the students were very talented.  Ballet had always taken a secondary place to  musical theatre etc, but I found that they soon grew enthusiastic about their ballet classes,  so much so that they cried when I left!  It was an incredible work experience and I've had a soft spot for the school ever since.  Some years ago I saw them perform at Move It and was very impressed.  After more than a hundred years it is very sad that the school might close.  Hope it can be saved.

• Like 8