National Youth Ballet auditions - main company

Katia05

Hi, does anyone have experience of the NYB main company London auditions? My DD (12) is going to audition next week but we don't know what to expect, not having been before. The letter says bring pointe shoes if you've done pointe - DD has had about six months on pointe so we're not sure whether she's had enough experience yet. Does anyone know what they do with the pointe shoes at the auditions?! Any advice/insight very welcome. DD is very excited to go to Sadlers Wells for the morning, whatever the outcome!

It is quite a few years now since my DD attended but the preliminary rounds for the seniors was just like a normal ballet class. My DD took pointe shoes and took them in with her, both years she went, but never got to wear them in the prelim audition. I think it does vary from venue to venue depending on who takes the audition though. My advice to your DD would be to just go, do her best but most of all enjoy the experience.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Wimdancer said:

anyone heard back yet re. recalls?  wondered when we're likely to hear...

I understand that as there were some who couldn't travel last week there are a number of video submissions to consider.  Not sure if that might result in a delay in getting the results out.  DD's friend was only doing hers the other night.

In London they told DD's class it would be about a week before they sent out results. Not sure if that means today, or Monday, or later next week if they're still looking at videos too ... Good luck!

Recent NYB Instagram post hints that results maybe on the way out!  I may be reading too much into this so reign me back Balletco members - it’s the run up to the weekend and I may just be getting too excited! 💃 Coffee needed and back to work and stop refreshing email!  💻

• Like 1

Just had the following email 😊

Dear All,

Thank you so much for auditioning for the NYB this season.  We really hope you enjoyed your audition.

We just wanted to let you know that you will hear the outcome of your audition by Friday 16th March 2018, by email from info@nyb.org.uk.  It is a good idea to add this email to your contacts to help this email arrive in your inbox rather than into your junk/spam folders.

Have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
Katie
NYB Team

1 hour ago, Dancing2003 said:

Just had the following email 😊

Dear All,

Thank you so much for auditioning for the NYB this season.  We really hope you enjoyed your audition.

We just wanted to let you know that you will hear the outcome of your audition by Friday 16th March 2018, by email from info@nyb.org.uk.  It is a good idea to add this email to your contacts to help this email arrive in your inbox rather than into your junk/spam folders.

Have a good weekend.

Kind regards,
Katie
NYB Team

Ah, looks like up to another whole week to wait then!

9 hours ago, junedancer said:

Recent NYB Instagram post hints that results maybe on the way out!  I may be reading too much into this so reign me back Balletco members - it’s the run up to the weekend and I may just be getting too excited! 💃 Coffee needed and back to work and stop refreshing email!  💻

Oh dear, well I got that one wrong.  Just seen the email and posts to say next week. DD hasn’t even mentioned it - why do I get stressed?  It’s been a long week - late night out and time for bed.  Got to be up for rehearsals and dance classes - roll on the weekend of the dance Mum! We love it really!? 🤔 🤣

• Like 4

We have been lucky enough to be recalled for final auditons for the junior company.  We didn't expect to get past prelims so I am now looking at the logistics and cost.  Has anyone else done this before??  I know the initial cost and that's going to be a struggle but it the incidentals and the extra accommodation, tickets etc that I'm not sure about.

Any insight to this would be amazing. 

My DD has done NYB a couple of times as a JA including last year at Elmhurst. Cost of Summer School this year is £850 I think. On top of that, depending on where you live, you need to factor in:

Travel/accommodation the night before Summer School.

Travel/accommodation, food, etc during dress rehearsals and performances at the Crescent Theatre in Birmingham. Most stayed at the Hilton Garden Inn or Novotel which are really close to the theatre.

Travel/accommodation for Sadlers Wells performance.

Tickets for the shows you wish to watch. I think Crescent tickets were about £30 and Sadler’s Wells a bit more (though testing my memory now!)

Mandatory purchase of an NYB leotard and T Shirt (about £30).

A new pair of ballet shoes and tights/socks for each role danced. Last year we had to buy black leather split sole shoes and black ankle socks for JAs. 

It is not a cheap Summer School experience but my DD has loved it both times.

Edited by Balletmum1704
  • Like 2

JAs dance in one piece which is a mini ballet. It does seem expensive for the amount of stage time but it is a Summer School aswell. They are kept really busy with daily ballet class, rehearsals, other classes eg acting, Evening activities, Choreo Competition, etc. The cost covers 10 days full boarding at Elmhurst so when you work it all out, it’s actually not that bad!

• Like 1