EYB-Sleeping Beauty - and footcare questions!

Danceroo

We were a bit late this morning due to temporary traffic lights off the A41! I half heard one of the teachers saying parents were welcome to watch a rehearsal. Any ideas when that would be?

My dd is loving being a Songbird/Cinderella . Although she was a bit overwhelmed by the timetable on the first day. She is really enjoying the whole experience.

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My DD THOROUGHLY loving it but very sore all over each day. Also getting loads of tips from the principal teachers so all good and can't wait to see a rehearsal! Just waiting for her to get off the train from Aylesbury for the first time on her own which is far more nerve-wracking than any ballet. X

• Like 3

Thanks for all your comments. Actually got to the meeting early today and found parents watching is 2.30pm on the 19th! We are fairly new to the ballet world and I really have picked up so many useful tips and great advice from this forum. I can't wait to see the performance.

My dd is also having a fantastic time - working very hard but absolutely loving it. She is taping her toes, putting protective tubing round them and padding them with bits of lambswool!! These first first five days have gone very quickly, but it's amazing how much they seem to have got done already.

Hope all your DCs are having some relaxing down time today :)

• Like 1

My dd says prevention is better than cure!

It would probably be a good idea for your daughter to tape her toes with micropore (thinner than plasters) to avoid blisters and rubbing from the shoes, and if there is an area that is sore or takes more pressure in her pointe shoes then pad that bit with some lambswool (that's good because it compresses easily.)

There are also small gel tubes for toes that are probably meant for people with corns (most chemists and supermarkets sell them), but these are really useful as they slip on and off and can be reused (within reason!)

She will get used to feeling what sort of padding etc suits her - it's probably a question of trying different things to see what suits her feet when she's wearing pointes.

• Like 1

My dd didn't used to use tape until she had been doing a lot of pointework and developed a nasty blister on the outside of one little toe.

Once it had healed we wiped that toe with surgical spirit but in her old pointe shoes it was clearly a friction spot so she started to tape it.

At EYB she's been wearing her newer shoes with only Ouch Pouch pro pads - the ones with gel only on the top. She's had a few red areas on her feet but no blisters yet....I am keeping on with the surgical spirit and she has toetape in her bag just in case.

She's saying though that after a long session en pointe that her big toes are hurting on the ends - more like pressure than blister pain. Any ideas what she can do to relieve this (if anything!?). Her shoes fit fine and she's not sinking into them....

When my DD did EYB we travelled from Worcester to Wolverhampton (our nearest one) but also did Swindon and Yeovil very much further!! But always worth it and we turned the main rehearsal period into a family holiday when she did Yeovil.

Heather

aka Taximom

• Like 1

Several months after your successful audition you have casting day and press photos, which is 4 hours or so, if I remember rightly. Then a couple of months after that, rehearsals start, approximately 66 hours. These have been a combination of 4 weekends plus half term for a termtime production, or Weds - Sun inclusive for 2 weeks for summer holiday productions.

Then in the week of the performances you have a 4-5 hour technical rehearsal at the theatre; next day is dress rehearsal followed by an evening performance, then Saturday is a matinee then an evening performance.

Then Sunday - sleep! :-)