EYB-Sleeping Beauty - and footcare questions!

Danceroo

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

My dd didn't used to use tape until she had been doing a lot of pointework and developed a nasty blister on the outside of one little toe.

Once it had healed we wiped that toe with surgical spirit but in her old pointe shoes it was clearly a friction spot so she started to tape it.

At EYB she's been wearing her newer shoes with only Ouch Pouch pro pads - the ones with gel only on the top. She's had a few red areas on her feet but no blisters yet....I am keeping on with the surgical spirit and she has toetape in her bag just in case.

She's saying though that after a long session en pointe that her big toes are hurting on the ends - more like pressure than blister pain. Any ideas what she can do to relieve this (if anything!?). Her shoes fit fine and she's not sinking into them....

Hi Spanner, my dd has been having similar pressure pain on the big toes too - and has developed a lovely bruised toenail over the two days off! She asked Emma if there was anything she could do but there isn't apparently, it's just how it is! What my dd has been doing though is smothering her toes with both Germolene and Arnica cream in the evenings and letting it sink in - don't know if it's doing any good but at least she feels like she's doing something!

• Like 2

Luckily I had very few blisters during my career but I was always carefull to use lamb's wool which I could shape nicely to fit where I needed it.

When I did have a sore toe I would wrap only that toe in a bandaid which I would cut to the size and shape I needed. Many times the bandaid was too large and therefore tended to wrinkle so cutting it down to the correct size and shape took care of that problem. Many girls used adhesive tape straight across the toes or on each toe even if they were not sore. I didn't care for this as I thought that pulling the tape off every day after class/rehearsal would make the skin more tender.

For really heavy rehearsal days I put a swath of lamb's wool over my toes, padded into shape, then took an ace bandage and wrapped the entire toe area being careful lnot to make it tight. Most ace bandages are too wide - so I cut them in half and then to the length I needed. I also put just a bit of lamb's wool down into the platform of the shoe. Then I'd slip my foot into the shoe and it was invisible from the outside of the shoe.

It also helped to warm up the shoes so usually I was able to put my pointe shoes on for the warmup before rehearsal and thus the foot and shoe warmed up at the same time - the shoe conforming to the shape of the foot (rather than the other way around if the shoe is cold).

As taxi4ballet mentioned above a too tight a fit is just as hurtful as too loose - plus it can bring on tendonitis (been there, done that).

Another thing....whenever I could during a break in rehearsal - I'd sit on the floor with my feet up which keeps the feet from swelling up with heat which can be really painful.

I hope this help someone.

• Like 3

Re. Tape being uncomfortable to pull off, Dd uses Bunheads Toe Tape as opposed to micropore tape, because the Bunheads stuff sticks to itself but is not very sticky on the skin (if that makes sense!).

If she's taping up a blistered toe, we tear a tiny piece off a cotton wool pad, place it over the blister, and tape it into place.

The padded plasters meant for corns are handy for blisters or pressure points too. The kind with the hole in the middle.Positioning the plaster so the blister or painful spot is in the hole in the middle.The shoe doesn't press so hard on the sore spot, unlike if you pad over the top of it.

There are as many ways to pad and tape toes as there are shoes to put them in. :)

Lambswool is very useful and versatile, but unfortunately even though the ballet grade wool is thoroughly washed DD is allergic to it and her feet get red itchy and swollen.

• Like 1

Dd came out of rehearsals yesterday saying her pointe shoes had softened so much they were like soft blocks - they were new prior to EYB and she has never worn out a pair before. We ran round Aylesbury in a panic and finally found some wood hardener which we painted on - but still no good.

This morning we drove 40 minutes to the nearest dance shop to get there in time for opening. I was relieved of over £100 for two pairs of pointe shoes, ribbons etc (didn't dare risk getting just one pair again) drove like a looney to get to rehearsals on time, sat in the car sewing those lovely ribbons and elastics on - trying not to drip blood on the new shoes as I'd forgotten my thimble - then realised I had no glue to stick the suede patches on (don't even mention darning!)

Another trip into Aylesbury - the town that has no glue - but eventually found some adhesive spray in a bookshop! Fought the traffic back to rehearsals and made it just as they were finishing lunch. I think we Mothers deserve a medal :D

• Like 5

Where did you go Klaris, the shop in Amersham?

Luckily we're in London on Tuesday; although Freed sold dd the harder shank, I think I'd better pop in and get her fitted for a backup pair before the performances...just in case! :-)

• Like 2

The wood hardener works on the box, but isn't any good if the shank has gone.

DD has already got through two pairs since they started rehearsing - started on the third pair today... Mind you, they are in them all day, and I remember reading that shoes should last about 12 hours.

Don't delay everyone - if you don't have at least one pair-in-waiting, get some, and quick! ;)

• Like 2

Wow, Taxi4 ballet - on her third pair already! You're right, it was the shanks - and the wood hardener did nothing for them.

Yes, we went to the shop in Amersham Spanner, and they had a reasonable choice and did the fitting well although it was a make and style dd had never had before (Bloch Suprima.) She was very pleased with them in rehearsals though and felt they really suited her feet, thank goodness! It's lucky you're up in London on Tuesday...

• Like 1

Gosh poor you Klaris, you really do deserve a medal!

Although you did make me laugh with 'the town that has no glue'! lol

Should I be getting dd a spare pair of pointe shoes? She is new to pointe work so I didn't know just how quickly they get through shoes! She is a little jewel and I'm not sure exactly how much pointe work that entails.

• Like 1

Lemongirl, I'd ask Dominic about how much pointework your dd is doing. I'd think she will be ok with one pair if her other role is in soft shoes.

Pointytoes, when your shoes are too soft, they will feel "mushy" to dance in. They won't support your feet properly and you may feel - and look - as if you're sinking into the shoes too much, or as if you're "going over" too far.

They may also start to make funny noises - my dd's Blochs started to creak so noisily just before the shank gave out!

But if you're not sure, the easiest thing to do is to get them checked. :-)

• Like 2

Sounds like your daughters are experiencing the joys and tribulations of a full time dancer! It is always a good idea to have 2 to 3 pairs of shoes on the go as it were.

Yes it is expensive but an essential tool in a female ballet dancers life. Ideally I recommend getting one pair "performance ready/exam ready" and when they are at that just right stage, put them away and start to break in a new pair. That way you know that there is a pair that will be perfect for performance. Even better if you have done this with another pair as well- maybe a slighter softer shoe will be needed for choreography that is less demanding whereas a piece that includes a lot of pointe work will need a stronger pair.

There is an entertaining piece about pointe shoes on Ballet Theatre UKs latest blog BTUKBlog which I think all students should read as it does give an insight into what we expect these shoes to do!! Hope the link works. If not, go through the website www.ballettheatreuk.com

• Like 7

• 2 weeks later...

DD had a wonderful time in the Sleeping Beauty - she can't wait for the next time EYB come to our region, she said she doesn't care where it is, she will drive herself there if she has to!

Has anyone heard how much the collections raised for Stoke Mandeville Hospital?

When my DD did Lady Bluebird and lady Beauty in Sleeping Beauty she got through 12 pairs of pointe shoes over the whole rehearsal and performance period! Admittedly Lady Bluebird role was the RBS choreography plus the coda rather than a student version so she had intensive rehearsals! When not rehearsing her part she was helping teach the little cinderellas their role so constantly dancing!!

I don't think I ever went to a rehearsal or performance with less than six prs of shoes. Sometimes it wasn't because they wore out - but also because different pairs were for different dances.

I once read about a ballerina who wore a hard shoe on one foot for fouetté turns and a softer shoe on the other foot for a particular balance. I've never done that - but different dances can require different shoes strengths.