Restarting dance as an adult after a break !!

Nédar

Hello everybody !!

I'm all new to this forum and first off i wanted to apologize because I didn't find the section in which I should introduce myself before posting and because I'm French and so my english isn't that good... :)

So I'm a 21 years old girl from south of France and after 10 years of dancing and a 4 years break, I want to practise ballet again but I'm afraid about starting again :wacko: I lost a lot of flexibility, strenght etc... I'm gonna practise 3 times a week in an advanced program and yep, it get's me nervous (yet i can't wait to start haha).

So i registered here to find people in the same situation as I am, or just adult dancers, or actually whoever is dancing and can give me tips about how to improve flexibility, arches so I can fully go on ponte (I've quite flat arches and I'd love to improve, even a tiny bit ^^), exercises I can do at home and maybe find a partner to discuss dance, to motivate each other and to share our doubts, fears, joys etc....

Thank you all for ready, I hope to hear from you soon !!

Nédar ;)

Edited by Nédar
  • Like 1

Hello Nédar and welcome to the Forum!  

We have a lot of adult dancers who contribute and offer support for each other.  I have added a tag to the top of this thread so that you can click on that and find some of the previous postings.  Most of our members are in the UK so if you are based in France we probably can't recommend any specific classes.

Good luck!

Bienvenue, Nédar  :)

I was wondering if the Dansomanie website might be of help to you?  I can't remember whether they discuss actually doing dance as well as watching it.

Apart from that, then yes, certainly we're happy to discuss our dance journeys with you.  I didn't start doing ballet until I was an adult, myself, but there are others who danced as a child and then came back to it much later, and I'm sure they'll be in touch.  And don't worry about your English - it looks fine to me!  I'm certain I wouldn't be wanting to discuss my dancing in French :)

• Like 2

Welcome! There are several adult students here of varying experience. I've just come back from my first class after a 4 week summer break, and my main advice is to take it slowly. Even if you are of an advanced standard (I'm somewhere between intermediate & advanced), your return to dance meeds to go slowly. That way you can work on building strength slowly, and also, try to work on errors & difficulties with technique you may have had before.

I always think that returning after a break is an opportunity to return with cleaner technique. Starting again, and simply - not doing to many fussy or fancy things at first, but going for good spinal alignment, steady level hips, neutral pelvis, relaxed shoulders, neck & head. Not thinking too much about leg height but thinking about the action of the foot along the floor.

Can you do some conditioning outside of class? Walking, swimming, Pilates, running, weights in the gym - these all build strength and help you get to know the mechanics of your body.

In terms of pointe work, I think you'd need to have been doing regular classes - 3 or 4 per week, for at least 2 years, to develop the body strength and control of your alignment - you need to be really confident about pirouettes on demi-pointe, for example, before attempting them on pointe. And you'd need to have good control of your hips and legs, as well as a supple and relaxed upper body to look ok on pointe. I really hate seeing adults going on pointe when they can't control their movements - seeing relevés with bent knees, shoulders hitched up in pirouettes on pointe,  & so on - it's damaging for your feet and not good for your technique.

Edited by Kate_N

Yup, take it easy going back: you're still young, but you're still in danger of pushing muscles and joints that aren't as strong as they were when you danced. You'll remember your technique but you may not be strong enough to execute it. 

• Like 2

I'm just returning to ballet properly for the first time in about 10 years, so can relate to what you're saying :) I've dabbled in adult classes a few times but finally taken the plunge and gone back to an Intermediate and Grade 7 class (having previously studied Adv 1/2). It's interesting being in a class with girls half my age - but a great challenge!!

I particularly enjoy the coaching videos by Claudia Dean on YouTube - if you've already got a sound understanding of technique, you may find them a useful way to work on strength, flexibility and technique at home  :)

• Like 2

Hi everyone I'm 35 and about 18 months ago I returned to ballet after a break of almost 15 years. 

I love it and a couple of months ago my dance teacher agreed to let me join the pointe class. 

I started dancing aged 4 so my ballet technique is pretty good and my teacher says my feet are strong and I have capable ankles (whatever that means) l used to do pointe, only at a basic level, but I'm much less fitter and less flexible than I used to be.

l can see slight improvements every week and I know it's going to take time to progress off the barre but I'm wondering if it is leg strength or core strength that is most critical in pointe work? I'm trying to tailor my exercise rountine to compliment my ballet (and maybe I'm spurred on by the fact that I'm the oldest in the class by at least 10 years!)

Also does the size of your feet have any bearing on your ability to do pointe work? I've often wondered because I have really big feet. (Uk8 I'm also 5'8" so tower over my fellow dancers!

My teacher says it shouldn't make a difference but I'm sure I have to pull up so much further than everyone else!

• Like 1

Hello Token and welcome to the Forum!

I've merged your thread with this recent one also about an adult restarting ballet.  You will see that it has a tag at the top.  If you click on the tag it will bring up links to other threads related to adult ballet.  We have quite a few adult dance members.

Do keep joining in!

feet size  isn't that much of an issue  at size 8  ... as  8 / 9  is  considered by  retailers to be the  largest  'normal' size  for  ladies footwear. It seems most of the mainstream  pointe brands are stocked to 8 / 8 1/2  / 9 routinely  by many sellers 

unlike  those  blessed/cursed  with larger feet  who  pointe wise are 'stuck' with custom make from Freed  or  off the shelf from Sansha (as their unique to them sizing  system  goes up to  their '16'  which is  a UK 11 iirc  as an 8 you'd probably be a  13 in sansha whether flats , soft blocks or pointe  ( or importing GMs from the states / custom ordering  from UK stockists  as  they are available in larger sizes  apparently  women of african descent   tend  to have larger fett than  white  women ).  

i'm still relatively  new to this all but i'd agree that core stength is  important  and Kate makes a good point that  what  keeps you  up   whether  flat  demi or on pointe is  alignment  and core strength,   it sounds that psychologically and practically  you feel you'd be starting from scratch  with pointe ... ( but  you'll  never know  if the muscle memory stuff   will kick in unless and until you get  fitted ) 

Thank you everybody for your messages :D (I've been away from internet for a few weeks and I'm so sorry to answer that late)

I started last week, I'm gonna take 4 classes per week (2h of floor barre and 3h of barre/milieu (I don't know the name in english), in an advanced class with very few students (we were 3 last week and I was alone this week). 

Any exercices/advices for improving arches, en dehors and legs line ? :)

To Kate_N, I practice horseback riding as well, but I'm not sure it helps with ballet (I feel it's the other way round haha)

To Alison, sadly dansomanie is only for dance lovers but not dancers... :( I can't find a french forum where the last message is actually recent and not from 2011... That's why I am here hehe, mostly looking for someone to share our experiences with ballet, exercices, improvings etc... :D

To Rach B, thank you, I'll check her videos as soon as I can :D:D:D

Have all a nice day/night and again, thank you for replying !

Bisous bisous !

• Like 3

Hi everyone,

I've been lurking for a while and thought I'd join in and introduce myself now.  Greetings to all the other adult returners. I started taking an adult ballet class at the beginning of this year after a gap of 20 years. I've been so inspired by you adult dancers out there  that I've just joined an RAD syllabus class. And also signed up for the Leeds Ballet Retreat and some RAD rep workshops.

I really wanted to start with Intermediate Foundation, but there isn't one running locally, so I'm taking an Intermediate class and an Advanced 1 class. Not that I expect ever to take the Advanced 1 examination! However, the Inter girls will be taking their exam in the spring and then they will start on the Grade 7 syllabus and I really want to do that. Meanwhile I'm trying to get back  into form, bearing in mind that at 64 some things will never come back. However my new teacher did say that I'm "a beautiful dancer" and I'm really chuffed about that. Actually I think I'm a very skilled and experienced bluffer.

I don't know if I've ever met any of you in Real Life but I may have done, as I was with Chelsea Ballet way back when. In fact, I see this is their 50th anniversary year and I danced in their 25th anniversary Gala. It's quite alarming how the time has flown!

See you!

Maureen

• Like 9

If you search for arch exercises on YouTube I'm sure something might come up but the best thing I've found is lots and lots of tendus, really working through the feet.

A theraband, the stretchy resistance band type things, are also really good for improving strength and you can carefully stretch the foot a little with them too. Again YouTube might have some good videos as examples.

Good luck with your classes!

Hi T-R-S I will send you a PM as I may know you from Chelsea Ballet! 

I was at their 50th Anniversay Dinner in July and saw lots of former members hadn't seen for years!! 

Im a little older than you so we may have just missed each other...not sure

I danced with them from 1973 to about 1984 but always go to see their shows when I can.

On Nov18th this year over in Richmond ( London) there is the 50th Anniversary performance ....a matinee and evening. 

I will be in touch! 

Linda