Starting pointe age 10 thoughts?

dancertaxi

Dd is about to turn 10 and has just got demipointes and joins in the pointe class using them. It'll be a little while til she has pointes but there are so many factors affecting readiness that it's impossible to give a definitive age surely? The range and differences in the physical attributes of girls at age 10 is huge and I would be guided by her teacher. 

45 minutes ago, taxi4ballet said:

Age 10? Doing the pointe prep classes in flat shoes and later on in demi-pointes yes, but actual pointe? Not a good idea, sorry :(

I agree with taxi4ballet. 

i know they all get excited and it's what they dream of but too early can cause so many problems and can ultimately put them off completely. 

From my experience (2 DD's) 10 is rather on the young side, it's not just based on their ballet technique but you have to consider the growth and development of the feet, calcification of the foot  bones, cartilage, tendons etc

Also 6 weeks seems very short period of time in prep classes. My DD's started once they were in RAD Grade 4 in prep for RAD IF but it took at least 6 months prep classes before they were assessed individually for Pointes. I'm not sure it was correct to 'dangle the carrot' in front of your DD by giving her the time scale of 6 weeks before she even starts. Buying your first Pointes is so exciting for the young dancer that they just don't see the bigger picture and possibly not allowed to buy them in the magical 6 weeks might be too hard to understand. 

• Like 2

I couldn't agree more with taxi4ballet, pointetoes & balletbean.

There is nothing wrong with her joining a pointe prep class but 6-8 weeks is a ridiculously short amount of time.  6 months is more usual, 12 months for younger students.

It really isn't about talent, technique, etc, its about growth & development.

• Like 1

Thanks All, Dd is in no rush neither am I. I wonder whether the teacher made a mistake and meant 6-8 months rather than weeks??

Anyway we will certainly be delaying until nearer 11. Just wanted to check I m not being a crazy over protective parent in delaying 

• Like 2

Technique is not necessarily an issue at the age in question (i.e. technique otherwise, strength , stamina may be there) it's the bone age / maturity of the structures of the foot that are at risk and that's why  you will tend to find people suggesting 11, 12 or even later  to protect the foot from damage esp unsupervised use and excessive centre work en pointe.

• Like 1