RBS JA's - Any advice for a first time boy? (Year 3)

Balletmumlife

Hello, it's my first post and I've loved reading the posts regarding junior associates at the RBS.

I was wondering if anyone has any advice especially for a boy auditioning for a year 4 place.

He's absolutely loves his ballet and is very focused on his training. We went to the insight day in London and he really enjoyed the class.

I've told him how difficult it is to gain a place, especially at the London centre, but he is still keen to give it a go.

Is there anything specific they look for in boys or any other advice for boys would be greatly appreciated. X

I imagine they are looking for the same things in boys as they are girls, broadly speaking - physical facility, musicality and a love of dance. For the littlest ones I think their ability to focus and physical stamina are important as not every child will be ready for something like JAs at that age - but that's not to say they won't be later.

And my advice is always the same - have a lovely day! It's not a scary experience and pretty much every child that I know who has auditioned had enjoyed it. So view it as a nice day out and a chance to have a ballet class with a special teacher and enjoy the audition as an experience in its own right. If he gains a place, then wonderful, but if not, don't worry. He is very young and there will be many opportunities to come in the future. Sounds like you and he are approaching it with a realistic attitude so just tell him to enjoy himself, smile and show the panel that he loves to dance - there's nothing to lose by trying, and you never know, he may be just what they are looking for. Good luck - let us know how it goes.

• Like 1

Hi Pinkbex81.

My Ds is a JA and auditioned last year.  He loved the audition and came out buzzing.  The audition class is only an hour and there was nothing that they did that he didn't know how to do.  He was also very inflexible and couldn't do the splits etc and they still accepted him so tell your son not to worry and just enjoy the day!

• Like 1

Hi Pinkbex81

My DS is now a Mid Associate but auditioned while in Yr 4 and got a Yr 5 place. We had literally no idea what we were doing, what the process was or what the audition class would be like, as there were no Insight Days then - or at least not where we are. I think in a way I am glad we were so clueless as we had no fears and no expectations! We did not really prepare in any way! My DS was the only boy at the audition but all seemed to go well. 

My advice would be same as you have heard from others, that he and you should just enjoy the experience, I bet it is lovely to audition at London. Would agree that they are looking for the same thing in boys as girls - that impossible to define "potential" that they talk about at the Insight Days. I agree about the flexibility, splits etc. My son couldn't do them then and indeed still can't properly, nor can some others in his class. Those things can be developed over time. 

My gut feel is that it is slightly less difficult to gain a JA place for a boy simply because of the numbers applying. So give it a go! Nothing ventured, nothing gained!

Wishing your DS and you lots and lots of luck, and have fun!

I have read this thread with interest. My DS is off to a JA experience day on Friday and if he enjoys it we'll apply for him to audition in May. He is a very immature boy with no style or real technique but he has an innate musicality and a definite joy of dance. After a DD who did three years as a JA but who is and has always been far more mature and precise in her movements it'll be fascinating to see how he fares.

No specific advice from me either but wanted to welcome you to the mad world!

My eldest was a London JA- he's now 23! - can't believe it was that long ago. Ended up going to RBS and Elmhurst, danced professionally for 3 years and stepped off the dance rollercoaster just over a year ago.

So my only advice really is to enjoy each bit as it happens, try not to have expectations just enjoyable experiences. You can't do anything about certain aspects of auditioning (most aspects actually) so just encourage him to do his best and what will be will be.

Good luck

• Like 3