Skirt suggestions for RAD intermediate variation 2

Clarkd3

Hi my dd is doing her RAD intermediate exam soon and was advised by her teacher that she could wear a short skirt for the neoclassical variation. Any suggestions as to appropriate styles as she really isn't keen on the one sold on the RAD site! Thank you in advance x

No skirts worn by Intermediate candidates at DD's school. I'm not aware that any candidates from other schools who have taken their exams with candidates from DD's school have worn skirts either, but may be mistaken.

They wear practice tutus for the classical variations or the RAD short skirts for the neoclassical variations from Advanced Foundation upwards.

From Intermediate Foundation upwards, it is optional to wear a skirt for the dance.  I introduced this last year and my students are thilled.  It really makes them feel special. We have royal blue tutu skirts for the classical variation and use royal blue wrap-around chiffon skirts for the Variation 2.  I had a first exam rehearsal with my IFs today and I let them wear the tutu skirts.  They definitely danced better feeling like real ballerinas (even if they don't yet look like one!

• Like 3

From Intermediate Foundation upwards, it is optional to wear a skirt for the dance.  I introduced this last year and my students are thilled.  It really makes them feel special. We have royal blue tutu skirts for the classical variation and use royal blue wrap-around chiffon skirts for the Variation 2.  I had a first exam rehearsal with my IFs today and I let them wear the tutu skirts.  They definitely danced better feeling like real ballerinas (even if they don't yet look like one!

it is a funny thing to see the impact clothing has on people , whether it's  ballerina in a tutu or  the first time a  Military Recruit , Student Constable, student  health professional or  trainee ambulance person puts on their  uniform ... 

distinct swerve in topic what are the  (presenting as) male  equivalent  rites of passage in dance  to the tutu and pointe shoes   -  

further swerve  - men en pointe  why not and why should past practices in choreography  drive the future   ? 

There are a few men on pointe roles- possibly most well known (?) is Bottom in Ashton's 'the Dream'. I'd hazard a guess that once you get to that kind of age where girls start to go on pointe, the boys tend to focus on strength etc for lifting & jumping etc, leaving less time to focus on pointework.

I'm sure there are some more 'modern' pieces that incorpoate mens pointework.

There are a few men on pointe roles- possibly most well known (?) is Bottom in Ashton's 'the Dream'. I'd hazard a guess that once you get to that kind of age where girls start to go on pointe, the boys tend to focus on strength etc for lifting & jumping etc, leaving less time to focus on pointework.

I'm sure there are some more 'modern' pieces that incorpoate mens pointework.

I'm not saying there aren't but it's  seen as niche  and perhaps  something that is not  something  that is dne  except  by  elite  level performers when needed  for those roles... 

jumps etc - from my point as a an adult  beginner -  the subtle differences are mentioned from the moment   jumping is introduced .