Alessandra Ferri R&J

Has anybody heard anything about how this performance at ABT went last night? Was anybody there? Or did anyone see any tweets or any reports on social media or other discussion forums? I was rather pre-occupied with other events!

It was FABULOUS! She was as great or more so then ever before. Dancing, line, those feet at the service of the role (never just 'look at my beautiful feet, as some are prone to do when they are blessed with them) - from beginning to end, Juliet, with perhaps the last act the greatest. Great acting, but also great dancing, swooping and swooning backbends. Exquisite arabesque and line in general. Many many wonderful minute touches blending into a seemingly totally instinctive performance.

Herman Cornejo a great Romeo, the partnership superb, his dynamics, line, ballon and differntiation of Romeo's personality before and after the meeting with Juliet - I could go on and on.

A wonderful Paris, whose name I must look up and will add. - as he was the best I have ever seen (usually they are SO bland). Excellent Mercutio and Benovlio, Susan Jones as the nurse, and the whole company dancing and acting beautifully. It would seem that the influence of Ratmansky on them generally can be felt in all their repertoire now. They DANCE - and the acting is believable throughout.

• Like 12

Reading that review brought to mind shades of Fonteyn and Nureyev.

Fonteyn could still do Juliet convincingly in her 50's and complemented by the younger Nureyev.

How wonderful for Ferri wish I could see her in this!

Just one thing he says ...she was most loved in America ...but am sure she would have been probably even more loved here too if she had stayed with RB!! She was missed!

Anyway glad she is appreciated wherever she is.

• Like 5

Although it was probably on the cards, it sounds like a great night - though I do wonder how it looks when Juliet is clearly much older than her Nurse?  Perhaps it wasn't clear?  (I only mention this as, at least 10 years ago, we had access to a TV Arts channel that regularly played Bolshoi performances including Madame Bessmertnova as Juliet.  In close-up, I did think the age difference very odd indeed.) 

Although it was probably on the cards, it sounds like a great night - though I do wonder how it looks when Juliet is clearly much older than her Nurse?  Perhaps it wasn't clear?  (I only mention this as, at least 10 years ago, we had access to a TV Arts channel that regularly played Bolshoi performances including Madame Bessmertnova as Juliet.  In close-up, I did think the age difference very odd indeed.) 

I saw Marion Tait (BRB) in her final season as a principal dancer as Juliet (with Joseph Cipolla as her Romeo).  She must have been in her 40s.  I was sat on the front row.  To this day she is the most convincing 14-yo I have ever seen.  OK, appearance-wise she didn't look 14 but in every other respect she was.  It probably comes over better live than on the screen.

• Like 3

I saw Marion Tait (BRB) in her final season as a principal dancer as Juliet (with Joseph Cipolla as her Romeo).  She must have been in her 40s.  I was sat on the front row.  To this day she is the most convincing 14-yo I have ever seen.  OK, appearance-wise she didn't look 14 but in every other respect she was.  It probably comes over better live than on the screen.

Leanne Benjamin was an extremely convincing 13-year-old when in her late 40s :) - certainly from the distance I was viewing her from.