Professor Brian Cox is back on TV.

Lisa O`Brien

Brian has a new TV series out. He Tweeted a clip of it [viewable on You Tube]. The series is called Forces of Nature, and he has just completed two years of filming. So will probably still be some time before it airs. It will all now need to be edited. Then Brian ,as with his previous series,has to go in to the recording studio and record his voice overs . If anything like his previous series are anything to go by, he will also be simultaneously writing a book to accompany the series. What is really interesting though is that the programme is being shown on BBC One. This will be the first programme Brian has presented that hasn't been shown on BBC Two. Brian explained a few years ago that he liked being on BBC Two,as ,even though it meant the budget was smaller, he had control over the programme's content. He said it was really important to him to keep as much science in it as possible. He said if he ever went to BBC One he would lose that control as the budget would be much larger. So I wonder what has made him decide [if it was his decision] to move from one channel,where he had a lot of control over its content] to another?

• Like 1

As an afterthought, I have just sent him a Tweet asking him this. Doubt he'll reply,of course. Although he DID reply to one of my Tweets once. I Tweeted to tell him about a man on his Facebook page [which he has nothing to do with; it's just a fan page and he never goes on there,ever]. A man in the Gaza Strip sent him a message telling him how much he and all his friends in Gaza admired his TV shows. The man wanted to ask him a Physics question. So I messaged Brian on Twitter telling him there was a man trying to contact him from Gaza.  Brian sent me a Tweet saying,"Tell him to contact me on here". [i think maybe the "Being from Gaza" as opposed to say,a fan in Milton Keynes, was probably what prompted Brian to reply to me !!] My Tweet must have caught his eye anyway,for whatever reason.

Edited by Lisa O`Brien
  • Like 1

Me and DD love Brian Cox, she has his box sets, so this is music to my ears and I can't wait for it to make its way onto our screens!! Hopefully it will be this year, maybe Christmas time!! :)

They're fab, aren't they? Do you have the books that go with each series too? I always buy both. Such quality items.

Linmm I only know a couple -

:) is : ) with no space between

:( is : (

:D is : D

And that is it for me, if anyone knows any others I'd like to know how to do them too!!

Sorry for taking off topic lol

• Like 1

Vaguely on topic, best wishes to Major Tim Peake for his safe return to Earth tomorrow. The journey back sounds terrifying and fantastically exciting at the same time. He has said he is looking forward to feeling the rain on his face again. He shouldn't have long to wait going by the forecast!  :wacko:

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 6

It's absolutely tipping it down here in Brighton at the moment......with full on thunder and lightening to match!!

Typically I haven't got my umbrella with me and have just come out the hairdressers so am having to hide in a cafe( with wifi luckily!)

• Like 1

No Lisa I've never seen the books?! May have to look into them, you may have just found me a birthday present for DD this year, thanks :D

They're all available on Amazon. He's co-authored eight books now. Although from what I have read in Amazon reviews,the  Kindle only one, "Professor Brian Cox's How The Universe Will End" [2012] is disappointingly short. I have all the others ,and certainly the big hard backed books of his [Wonders of The Solar System, Wonders of The Universe,Wonders of Life and Human Universe] are fab. Amazon says his next book ,to tie in with the TV series, Forces of Nature,is due for release on 30 th June this year.

• Like 1

Vaguely on topic, best wishes to Major Tim Peake for his safe return to Earth tomorrow. The journey back sounds terrifying and fantastically exciting at the same time. He has said he is looking forward to feeling the rain on his face again. He shouldn't have long to wait going by the forecast!  :wacko:

Soyuz has touched down safely, thank goodness! :-)

• Like 3

In case anyone hasn't discovered them, Brian Cox also did several series of an excellent BBC science podcast called The Infinite Monkey Cage, all of which should still be available to download.  Informative and very entertaining; highly recommended.

• Like 2

It's always nice to see scientists who can make their subjects accessible to the general public. I remember when Carl Sagan made Cosmos for TV, he was criticised by a lot of his colleagues for wasting his time on popularisation of science rather than doing research. Such a short-sighted attitude.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just watched it. Oh dear, it was soooo slooow.....zzzzzz.

The producers seem to have decided that since it is now on BBC1 that the content had to be simplified, but Ye Gods, a whole hour to explain why honeycomb is hexagonal, and why snowflakes have six sides? Yawn.

Sorry Brian, but I was bored witless. :(

I'm going to have to watch the whole thing again on i Player. My wretched TV isn't tuned in properly. Well it is, but I still get all my programmes via my Sky Box,even though I haven't had Sky TV for donkey's years.[ I keep the Sky Box so I can still watch Sky News.] I thought the background music, as always in his programmes was great, and some of the visuals, what I saw of them, were lovely. People were waxing lyrical about the show on Twitter.