John Lewis Xmas Advert (and others!)

Primaballerina1

Just seen the Xmas ad for the Co-op. A tale of a young man nipping to the local shop, or trying to on the icy pavement, accompanied by a burst of 'Bolero'. On the way, he notices an elderly neighbour, intending to go out but deterred by the icy weather. While at the shop, the young man decides to get some treats for the elderly neighbour. He drops them off outside the old man's door, rings the bell and goes home. The old man answers the door, sees the goodies and looks around to see who has left them there for him, but no-one is in sight. 

There are all sorts of unspoken but clear messages in this simple but very effective advertisement, about neighbours, the elderly, the young and not just doing something for what you can get out of it for yourself and so on. It only lasts a few minutes and I think it is great. I would also bet it cost a tiny fraction of the John Lewis ad but it is infinitely better.

Edited to say 'In my opinion!'.

Edited by Jacqueline
  • Like 7

I just have to go with the Sainsburys ad this year because I just LOVE the Mog books. .....however some children may find this a bit strange as Mog was killed off some years ago in a wonderful and moving book in fact about losing "people" " animals etc that we love.

I don't mind the John Lewes Ad I didn't find it creepy anyway but I love Mog more!!

• Like 2

Another ad I'd like to kick into touch is Aldi's horrible mockney version of "My favourite things". I really like Lily Allen's music and her voice, but unfortunately Aldi have plumped for someone trying to imitate the slight cockney accent and the result is awful. Don't even get me started on Aldi changing the lyrics. I have to mute the tv when it's played as it grates on me even more than nails on a chalkboard. Grrrrrrrrrrrr.

• Like 1

are the ads getting more interesting/entertaining than the programs?

Not such a bad thing, it can be the beginning of a successful directorial career.

www.empireonline.com/movies/features/amazing-adverts-amazing-directors/

Although Mog's house suffers a fire, think of those poor people up north whose homes have been wrecked in the floods.  Same situation really which for me makes the ad rather poignant and topical.

• Like 3

I don't think I've actually watched any of these yet (I tend to switch off mentally when the ads come on).  Is 2015 "let's do social responsibility" year for the stores?  Well, somebody has to do it - even if certain politicians would seem to beg to differ.

• Like 2

Not a Christmas ad as such, but the latest fragrance from David Beckham must be a contender for the most unintentionally funny ad of the year. Mr Beckham appears in some moody poses and provides the voice over in that strangulated estuary style with a touch of Michael Caine. It all starts wiv a dream apparently, and then one day, you go beyond. And not a lot of people know that. Yeah. ;)

• Like 4