John Lewis Xmas Advert (and others!)

Primaballerina1

Last night I asked DH if he had seen this years John Lewis Christmas advert and he replied no. DD heard and started watching it and burst into tears because she found it sad. Maybe I shouldn't have asked DH if he'd seen it yet; though it's better her crying at home than suddenly bursting into tears in the classroom if they are watching a video and the advert pops up

Edited to add DD is only 12

Edited by Primaballerina1
  • Like 1

Last night I asked DH if he had seen this years John Lewis Christmas advert and he replied no. DD heard and started watching it and burst into tears because she found it sad. Maybe I shouldn't have asked DH if he'd seen it yet; though it's better her crying at home than suddenly bursting into tears in the classroom if they are watching a video and the advert pops up

Edited to add DD is only 12

Don't know about your DD crying PB1 - I welled up when I watched it yesterday!

• Like 3

Half The World Away by Oasis. Written by Noel Gallagher and also used in the comedy The Royle Family. As an Oasis fan [they really are the band of my life] what makes me even sadder than this advert is the fact Liam and Noel can`t work together.

• Like 1

I haven't yet seen it in situ, but knew that it was out there thanks to three items in this morning's Times - an item on the young Norwegian singer; Hugo Rifkind's spoof weekly diary, this week featuring a JL exec; and Peter Brookes' cartoon featuring a certain politician, like myself no longer in the first flush of youth, as the chap on the moon.  As the Telegraph article says, these JL ads have taken on a life of their own and become news items, spawning all manner of others in a similar vein.

Am I alone in thinking I couldn't care less?  They sent me an email the other day telling me I could get a sneak preview, but ... so what?  I knew I'd probably catch it sooner or later.  I think it was on during one of the advert breaks this evening, but since I try and ignore those anyway I didn't really see it.

• Like 6

Am I alone in thinking I couldn't care less?  They sent me an email the other day telling me I could get a sneak preview, but ... so what?  I knew I'd probably catch it sooner or later.  I think it was on during one of the advert breaks this evening, but since I try and ignore those anyway I didn't really see it.

No, I couldn't care less either. I actually find this year's offering rather creepy. 

No, I couldn't care less either. I actually find this year's offering rather creepy. 

Forgot to say I wondered how they got those balloons to float 'on the moon'. Wouldn't they just trail along the ground because of the atmosphere? Also, there is quite an amusing spoof of the J.L. ads at www.walesonline.co.uk. Bah humbug. :angry:

I prefer the Sainsburys one this year.

And me. My favourite JL ad is still the 2011 one, with the little lad waiting impatiently for Christmas morning. I also loved last year's with Monty the Penguin. Oh, and I loved last year's Waitrose ad with the little girl battling with getting her gingerbread just right.

Apart from the science, I just can't get my head around an elderly man using a telescope to watch a little girl in her house.

• Like 4

I've read many people's thoughts on the JL advert on Twitter & Facebook and think it's a sad reflection of the world we live in that this advert, about a lonely old man, can be considered creepy or pervy. Why can we not watch something without inferring a negative aspect to it. Granted, the £7 million it cost to make the advert is over extravagant when not actually promoting their business in any way, but isn't it just reminding us that there are people in the world, not always old, that will be alone & possibly lonely this Christmas. Nothing creepy about that, just sad.

• Like 6

The fact that so many people find the idea of an elderly man looking at a little girl in her house a little odd/creepy - however you word it - does suggest to me that John Lewis have got this one slightly wrong.

I appreciate and understand the sentiment behind it, and I know that JL have collaborated with Age UK, but for such a large number of people to find it slightly odd must mean that perhaps it should have been done somewhat differently. This is the first time I've seen such a widespread reaction of "That's a bit weird" on social media. Perhaps after Operation Yewtree it's a sign of the times.

Edited to add: I'm trying to think how they could have made it less prone to questions. A Science student working in an Observatory on Christmas Eve? Or as I saw suggested on Facebook, the little girl's Grandad? I quite like the student idea although the delivery of the telescope would have had to be more scientific than balloons. :-)

Good Lord, has there really been some debate over this?  Forgive an elderly chap and grandad, or have I got the storyline all wrong? Young girl busy with a telescope, presumably looking to see what she can see, spots something odd on the moon - turns out to be an old man, looking lonely - she organises a way of his being able to see her (park the science, it's a fairy story), a method of communication.  And folk are in a tizz over this - really?

• Like 4

The good folk of Twitter were certainly in a tizz about it. :-) I think they were split between those thinking it "creepy", outraged at the scientific aspect (or lack of it), disappointed that it wasn't as weepy as previous years, and then those who loved it. As a bid to get John Lewis trending, it certainly worked!

Maybe I was having an emotional day. But I cried. I hadn't even thought it could be seen as creepy until you all brought that up. I just thought it was sad he was alone and sweet she wanted him to feel included in Christmas even if he couldn't be there. I've come across a lot of people, especially closer to my generation who have no patience for the elderly. I find it sad anyone should have to be lonely. Obviously we need to be wary but sometimes I think the media makes us overly cynical. Good for John Lewis for trying to raise awareness of the elderly who'll be spending this Christmas alone. Or every other day too probably.

• Like 4

He's the Man in the Moon - it's all his domain - he can't possibly be an alien when he owns the place, so he's naturally acclimatised to the dearth of O2.  Simples??  

Or maybe he's a former Dr Who in retirement?  All things are possible to such chaps and, indeed, to their human sidekicks.

• Like 7

Yes, dd and I really like this year's Asda offering. :-)

I don't like M&S' one at all. As much as I like "Uptown Funk", they have used a horribly noisy part of the song and there's almost nothing Christmassy about the whole thing. Ugh.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...