Ideas for character duet please

Lemongirl

My dd and her friend are looking for some ideas for a new character duet.  They are both 14 and have danced together before.  They are looking for something original, a bit different and not old fashioned.  Something with good dramatic quality.

One idea they have had is the Hunger Games, any other ideas please?

Sorry I'm hopeless at ideas but as someone who helps at festivals in a variety of roles I have a plea to do something uplifting - all those depressing, serious character dances get a bit wearing imho (and I've heard many an adjudicator say similar backstage - not that they're disadvantaged by it - just that they'd rather see something "happy"!)

• Like 3

The Hunger Games could work well- my instinctive thought was that they could do the scene where they are preparing to go into the arena, or the scene where Rue dies?

I helped to adjudicate at a festival a few months ago; one piece that stood out for me was an African tribal style character solo entitled 'Famine', something like that could work well?

Or what about a completely abstract piece- Kandinsky's paintings might be a good stimulus?

Does your DD know what music she wants to use?

I think it is only right that copyright owners should decide how and when their works are used.

Having said that i saw a dubious advert for M&S this evening which had Uptown Funk as the backing music - except it wasn't. They had used the riffs, chord sequence and drum track but not the melody. You can't copyright a groove so no licence required.

I thought there had been some recent cases where groove copying resulted in an infringement, notably the "blurred lines" one

Yes maybe - I don't know the ins and outs of that one.

What I was intending to suggest was that there could be ways around. But then I thought a bit more about it - perhaps if you are doing a Lion King theme inspired dance using the groove from Hakuna Matata it could be back to being infringing again.

I have no experienced with competitive festivals but what happens with theatres, dance schools and other places of performance is that they pay annual fees to the PRS & PPL organisations.  One covers the use of recorded music, the other covers live performances.  Theatres then send a list of tracks that have been used so the relevant royalties are paid. This does not cover 'Grand Rights' which is where pieces from for example  musical theatre songs are performed in context (eg. in a costume or with dialogue suggesting the original). 

However there are a few companies that have decided to withdraw from these schemes, notable the copyright holders of Grease.  A couple of years ago they began to aggresively issue "cease & desist" notices" to musicians who performed songs as part of a general set in clubs etc.  Dh is in the Musicians Union and several of their members were affected.  They have also stated that songs from Grease are NOT to be performed by by anyone or the music used for dance routines etc unless the performer has applied for permission direct from them.

I don't know whether Disney are part of PPL/PRS.  I thought they were, but they are well known for pursuing anyone who does not have the relevant licences/permissions in place.

• Like 1

I think it is only right that copyright owners should decide how and when their works are used.

Having said that i saw a dubious advert for M&S this evening which had Uptown Funk as the backing music - except it wasn't. They had used the riffs, chord sequence and drum track but not the melody. You can't copyright a groove so no licence required.

You can copyright a 'riff'

Several years ago a local musical instrument shop was threatened with prosecution for not having PRS/PPL licences because customers were coming in to try out the instruments and were playing copyrighted excerpts.  (I always stuck to scales and a few chords in piano shops!)

What is s character duet/dance anyway? Always seems to involve dressing up as an Eastern European with ribbons and long skirts - but is that just one possible interpretation?

One definition my phone suggests:

a style of ballet deriving inspiration from national or folk dances, or interpreting and representing a particular profession, mode of living, or personality.

That "or" is a new one on me, and presumably forms the basis of the OP?

For some strange reason, the tune "typewriter" comes to mind. Ha! This is quite fun

Edited by thewinelake

Thewinelake, "Character" in the RAD syllabus means national dances- Hungarian, Polish, Russian etc, which is probably what your phone's suggestion refers to. In festivals, however, "Character" refers to dances that have a character, such as a fairy, witch or doll, to tell some kind of story- I think that's the kind of character dance the OP was referring to :) hope that helps! (Correct me if im wrong with any of that!)

• Like 1

It's a good idea to visit a dance festival if you can (for those interested in what others are talking about when discussing festivals). If you visit the All England Dance website you'll find links to what's happening. And let us know roughly where you live and I'm sure someone can suggest good local festivals :-)