Oxana Skorik made Mariinsky Principal in CA

Skorik doesn't have any of the qualities you would expect a principal in any company to have, let alone the once illustrious Kirov.  Not a promotion to celebrate in my opinion.

i don't know what to make of this comment.  She has had many positive reviews when the Mariinsky were in London and seems to have formed a good partnership with Xander Parrish.   I saw A Beautiful Tragedy too and was impressed with her dedication to ballet when she was clearly desperately unhappy.

What exactly do you object to about her promotion?  Are there other dancers in the company you consider more deserving?

Linda

• Like 1

"Desperately unhappy"?  Is that why her heart isn't in what she does?

I just meant she was very unhappy when she was at ballet school (or so she said in the film).  Not an unusual situation I suppose as I can think of at least 2 RB principals who have said they felt the same when at White Lodge.

I simply wondered why you felt she didn't deserve to be promoted, given the good reviews she has received when in the UK.

Linda

I'm happy to concede that her dancing has improved since an unpromising beginning and as she has for whatever reason been given more opportunities than her peers, continuous exposure to audiences at a high level no doubt played a part in that.  However being acknowledged as a principal seems somewhat premature as she has a technique that doesn't encapsulate 'the flow of movement',  she has poor acting skills and above all a completely charmless manner. 

During the Fateev era she won't be the first undeserving dancer to be made a principal and although that state of affairs is grossly unfair to the more deserving members of the company, it is actually insulting to the Kirov's audiences to fob off a dancer that is far from the complete package as a ballerina.

• Like 3

I was completely underwhelmed when I saw Skorik in London 2 years ago and yes the reaction around her to the announcement was muted including her own (she probably knew anyway).  The Mariinsky have a habit of promoting dancers that aren't really up to the mark at the time eg Somova who I believe was prematurely promoted and yet clear talent like Kondaurova was left waiting years for her promotion.  The bizarre world of ballet.

• Like 3

OMG, how beautiful - I have to work, and now I sit here watching Youtube and fangirling for Farukh like 20 years ago :wub: :wub: :lol: And how beautiful was Makhalina, even though not perfect in every role. I never liked Igor Kolb that much, but WOW, his golden slave!  Whatever happened to the Kirov???

• Like 1