• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Last call for tomorrow :)

(BTW, for those in the area, I think I saw something about a public meeting to discuss the closure - a shame it happens to clash with the RB live broadcast of Giselle.)

Well, I was *very* pleasantly surprised by this afternoon's Romeo & Juliet, despite the annoyingly hectic filming. Given that Maria Kochetkova still has a lot of fans in the London area, I was surprised not to see more faces in the audience that I recognised, though.

I was wondering what it was I had so vehemently marked the Fairfield Halls down for on 2nd April: here's the answer:

https://www.fairfield.co.uk/en-GB/shows/san%20francisco%20ballet-%20romeo%20-%20juliet%20-%20film/info

Make the most of the place before it closes :(

Closing?  :o   Why? 

Please don't tell me they are knocking it down and putting up blocks of flats. 

Apologies for going off topic, but I used to live in Croydon, and have very fond memories of the various wonderful shows I saw there over the years. 

Edited by Fonty

I too used to live near Croydon and frequently went to the Fairfield Halls for plays and concerts.  I followed the link to their website and found some photos of the Beatles concert of April 1963, complete with a picture of 15 year old me sitting onstage right behind Ringo! :)   Happy days..

Linda

• Like 5

Re Giselle Live Transmission April 6th

Just checked and there are only 15 seats booked at the Stratford Picturehouse for tomorrow (out of around 230).  Tickets for oldies are £15 but I was wondering what the cinema is like - can anyone enlighten me before I book?

Also, rather strange timing for the repeat - 12 noon next Tuesday.  I wonder how many will be going then?

Linda

Note to moderators: I looked to see if this topic already existed so I hope I've put it in the right place.

It's a big screen, lc - I don't think Stratford can have any small screens, because all the ballets are always shown in screen 2.  Nice big screen, seats are comfy though I'd prefer a bit more legroom.  The screens are up a flight of stairs, but there must be a lift somewhere.  Nice bar does coffee, cakes and so on for you to while away the 25-minute interval - ice creams etc. downstairs.  I've never been there for an evening performance, but I assume there's still food available.  An easy walk back to the station afterwards.  Oh, and the wifi works, which is more than I can say for the last Picturehouse I visited!  I don't know why it's always so empty, but it tends to be a useful fallback when places closer to home are full up (as my local is).

May see you there, if I feel like making a trip of it, although I think I'll probably be staying somewhere rather closer to home.  Let me know if you need any further information.

The repeats for this programme do seem to be coming on at some weird times: it would normally be the Sunday following, but there's a Bolshoi screening then, so that may be what's caused the odd timing.  Actually, I didn't even know Stratford took the repeat as well - I really can't see why ...

Rather belatedly, since I'm several days behind with the Links page this week, a plea from Ismene Brown in the Spectator to go and see these showings - especially if they're on at your local arts centre - if you want them to continue: http://blogs.spectator.co.uk/2016/04/giselle-v-superman/

I have to admit, though, that the sparseness of the audience does vary enormously from cinema to cinema.  Last time Giselle was on (with the admittedly starrier Osipova/Acosta cast), my local Odeon sold out two screens before I even got around to booking, the locally accessible(ish) Picturehouses were also sold out, and in the end I had to traipse over to Wimbledon, which almost sold out two of its largest screens, just to see it.  I booked one of the last seats going at a Picturehouse for the Bolshoi recently (twice over, as it happens), and for this run of Giselle I again had to go some distance because my two "local" cinemas were both sold out.  The Two Pigeons bill had sold well at the cinema I was at, and of course the Nutcracker was a sell-out, and almost so even at one of my backup cinemas which doesn't usually sell so well.  Not to mention that all the Royal Ballet screenings have repeat showings, many of which also sell out.

And while I'm writing, just a reminder about the new Bolshoi Don Quixote in cinemas this Sunday, 4 pm in the UK.

• 1 month later...

Additionally an Alvin Ailey American Dance Theatre mixed programme including Chroma and Revelations is being shown in March, April and May.

Here is a link to the cinema list: http://www.greatamer...ickets/germany/

I got an email through from Picturehouses today reminding me of their showings, which all seem to be next Monday (and at 8.30 pm, from the ones I've seen).  I expect that's going to make it a rather late night :(  I can't see that Odeon are showing it at all, but you may have more luck with other chains.