One of the Irish cinema chains is showing the Paris Opera Ballet's Balanchine/Millepied/Robbins evening live from Paris on 1st October so it clashes with the World Ballet Day livestream.

Cinema details: http://moviesatdundrum.admit-one.eu/index.php?s=M-DUNDRUM&p=details&eventCode=20163

Performance Details: https://www.operadeparis.fr/en/season-15-16/ballet/balanchine-millepied-robbins

Casting: https://www.operadeparis.fr/saison-15-16/ballet/balanchine-millepied-robbins/distribution

It's also being shown in European cinemas (1 Oct.) and in US cinemas in January 2016.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This is rather remiss of us: we don't appear to have a "ballet in the cinema" thread for the forthcoming season.  We have separate threads for the Royal Ballet here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/9490-royal-opera-house-cinema-season-20152016/

and for the Paris Opera Ballet here: http://www.balletcoforum.com/index.php?/topic/10557-paris-opera-ballet-live-in-cinema/

yet seemingly we don't have one for the Bolshoi, although I know we discussed it.  Can anyone remember where it was, please?

With all the dancers that the Bolshoi has I wonder why it was deemed necessary to bring in a guest artist from outside the [HUGE] company for GISELLE of all things ... and especially for this cinema broadcast?  Surely someone like Rodkin would have served very well ... and would have certainly been well known to the Bolshoi's cinema audience.  Indeed, there are a goodly few fine male Bolshoi principals that would have surely been able, suitable and of interest for this remit ... and I'm sure there must be some young artists who might too have delighted in their role débuts much as I'm confident that Ball and Naghdi or Hayward will in their Royal Ballet debuts in MacMillan's R&J.   In three key productions at La Scala (where Zakharova is also a principal largely partnered with Bolle) young Claudio Coviello stepped into Vasiliev's absences and did very well dancing opposite both Osipova and Rojo.  Indeed he was lauded on all occasions and was promoted as a result. This might have seen an international audience be able to share in a similar kind of excited awareness with the Bolshoi.  Such opportunities surely do not grow on trees.

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 4

I was thinking much the same. Whenever I see the Bolshoi live screenings I am reminded that they have surely the best male dancers in any company- and would love the chance to get to know some more. Last season I became acquainted with Denis Rodkin, a great joy- and perhaps they are hiding more like him....:-)

Much as it will be a pleasure to see Polunin again, I have to agree I would have liked to see a new ( to me)  name.

But- I am sure it will be a tremendous performance.

With all the dancers that the Bolshoi has I wonder why it was deemed necessary to bring in a guest artist from outside the [HUGE] company for GISELLE of all things ... and especially for this cinema broadcast?  Surely someone like Rodkin would have served very well ... and would have certainly been well known to the Bolshoi's cinema audience.  Indeed, there are a goodly few fine male Bolshoi principals that would have surely been able, suitable and of interest for this remit ... and I'm sure there must be some young artists who might too have delighted in their role débuts much as I'm confident that Ball and Naghdi or Hayward will in their Royal Ballet debuts in MacMillan's R&J.   In three key productions at La Scala (where Zakharova is also a principal largely partnered with Bolle) young Claudio Coviello stepped into Vasiliev's absences and did very well dancing opposite both Osipova and Rojo.  Indeed he was lauded on all occasions and was promoted as a result. This might have seen an international audience be able to share in a similar kind of excited awareness with the Bolshoi.  Such opportunities surely do not grow on trees.

dous performance.

But if Sergei is injured and unable to dance at La Scala (see other - Milan/Sleeping Beauty - thread), will he be fit for the Bolshoi one wonders?

Perhaps a deserving member of the Bolshoi home team will win out after all ... Where Nureyev once dazzled with Fonteyn in Giselle ... perhaps the vividly musical Ovcharenko (about to play Nureyev on film for the BBC - a fitting choice methinks) will do the same with Zahkarova in this Bolshoi live cinematic relay.   Certainly it will be exciting to continue to watch this young man develop.  I well remember the elegance of his partnering and his clean legato adagio line as Antoine Mistral in Flames of Paris during the last Bolshoi London visit.  Get a glimpse of Ovcharenko in the Bolshoi Giselle production on the occasion of his debut in the role of the caddish prince: 

Edited by Bruce Wall

In reference to the above here is a clip (largely in Russian) about Ovcharenko as Nureyev in the BBC film - 

Not that ANYONE could really attain the fascination of the original ... that extraordinary inspiration made robustly compelling within the dictates of its own extraordinary time ...

Still it will be interesting to watch people try.  

Edited by Bruce Wall

Bolshoi Giselle teaser:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GaiuWOVvTc4

This is the Odeon’s advert:  http://www.odeon.co.uk/films/bolshoi_live_giselle_2015/15987/

The Picturehouse chose a different picture for Giselle:  http://www.google.co.uk/search?client=safari&rls=en&q=picturehouse+giselle+bolshoi&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&gfe_rd=cr&ei=mY0FVt_SA9PCbLjfkegN

Edited by Amelia

There are some interesting titles; I find it a good initiative for those who cannot travel or go often to the theatre!

I've lost track of Polunin's movements. Is he currently with a ballet company or is he 'freelance'?

Polunin is a freelance and said currently he doesn't want to sign with a ballat company :)

• 2 weeks later...

You balletomanes on this forum are so helpful, I wonder if you can help me again? I am looking to book the Bolshoi's Giselle on Sunday. I have the choice of 2 cinemas. One says the start time is 4pm but Cineworld says it is 5pm! Picturehouses also says 4pm. Does anyone have any idea of the correct time please. I favour Cineworld as it is cheaper & very close to the train station but I don't want to arrive an hour late.....Also, does anyone know if Sergei is still dancing that performance?

Thank you, Susan

You balletomanes on this forum are so helpful, I wonder if you can help me again? I am looking to book the Bolshoi's Giselle on Sunday. I have the choice of 2 cinemas. One says the start time is 4pm but Cineworld says it is 5pm! Picturehouses also says 4pm. Does anyone have any idea of the correct time please. I favour Cineworld as it is cheaper & very close to the train station but I don't want to arrive an hour late.....Also, does anyone know if Sergei is still dancing that performance?

Thank you, Susan

Just checked the Bolshoi website and Sergei Polunin is still dancing, my local cinema says 4pm.

I just checked Polunin's Facebook page which says he is dancing on Sunday.

His Facebook page,like the Queen's, is in the third person- I had to chuckle thinking of the more homely and down to earth media pages of our UK company dancers, writing themselves- presumably- and telling us what they had for breakfast.

I am very much looking forward to seing him dance.

• Like 1

Re my post above, I went to the screening of Giselle at Cineworld at 4 pm & all was going well until towards the end of the first act.....suddenly a lot of people started piling in causing a huge distraction!I guess these were the people who had booked earlier & believed the ballet started at 5 pm. My friend & I were furious & I have emailed Cineworld to vent my disgust.They also forgot to turn the lights out after the ballet started. I despair!

Susan.

Re my post above, I went to the screening of Giselle at Cineworld at 4 pm & all was going well until towards the end of the first act.....suddenly a lot of people started piling in causing a huge distraction!I guess these were the people who had booked earlier & believed the ballet started at 5 pm. My friend & I were furious & I have emailed Cineworld to vent my disgust.They also forgot to turn the lights out after the ballet started. I despair!

Susan.

Complain, with vigour. Although it won't help this showing, if they take the complaint on board, they can improve for the next showing (whatever that may be). AND, at the very least, give you a voucher for a refund, one would hope.

• Like 1

I had similar problems with my local Vue (lights no lowered, feet chopped off, cutting the stream before the end) and a 'constructive' complaint each time produced a voucher to go and put myself through it again - but eventually, they seem to have got it right as the R&J last month was a very pleasant experience

Dear all, I have heard from a friend in Russia and they still have the HD link on the Bolshoi youtube account here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Emt57z3CE3c

If you travel to Russia or know someone there. or have an IP address proxy account such as DotVPN for chrome. Then you can watch the whole performance online. I hope this helps.

• 3 weeks later...

Has anyone seen a cast list for the 'Lady of the Camellias' relay?

No casting has been issued yet for this run of Lady of Camellias. However it is a role for Zakharova so it would be a surprise if she wasn't involved. 

• 2 weeks later...

Can anyone point me to a full cast list for this repeated performance [Jewels, 8th November 2015]? I can't trace it in the Bolshoi's website, and what the cinema offers is usually not full (to say the least!)

Edited by alison
Added identifying information