clicking joints

All4dancers

Good morning everyone!

My dd has extremely 'clicky' joints. It sometimes seems that she only has to move and you hear a click! She has absolutely no pain when this happens, but I can't help worrying slightly (yet another thing to worry about) as it does seem excessive. Before an audition yesterday, she began gently warming up and her clicking joints seemed to positively echo around the room, attracting quite a number of raised eyebrows from other parents. Is this normal? Does anyone else experience this? I have tried looking it up on the internet, but the answers are pretty vague and mostly refer to this in relation to pain and lack of mobility which is not relevent in my dd's case.

Morning All4dancers - I'm so glad you posted this comment.

My DD has the most incredibly 'clicky' joints. From the moment she wakes up in the morning until she goes to bed at night she clicks wherever she goes (no pain whatsoever from any joint). Many people have commented and we've had the raised eyebrows too. The clicking started about 3-4 months ago, and has just gotten more and more pronounced as time goes on.

So, as my family have a history of rheumatoid arthritis I marched her off to see our GP. Five sets of blood tests later - she doesn't have rheumatoid arthritis (phew!), her thyroid is fine, both her red and white cells are there in the proper amounts (you can tell I'm not particularly clued up in this area, but you know what I mean). What she does have is slightly elevated allergy levels - but not so high that our GP is concerned (BTW I do rate this GP - no nonsense tells you like it is, but doesn't treat you like a neurotic mother if you go with something that others have dismissed).

GP recommended that she visit our physio again for him to check her joints and make sure he was comfortable with everything she was doing with them. So off we trotted. DD explained that she has 4 hours of ballet per week plus a couple of hours of modern and tap on top of that, Karate for 2 hours (loves the core strenght building element of this) and 3 hours of PE at school (mix of track, conditioning suite and various games). He gave her a complete check over and announced that she was in perfect shape - even during his check up she was clicking.

So while we're re-assured that there is nothing wrong with her and our GP is pretty sure that she'll grow out of it we're back at square 1 in determining whats causing it.

Don't know if any of the above helps you at all, but at least you know you're not alone in this.

• Like 1

My dd is horrendously clicky; the most hypermobile joints seem to be the most clicky with her elbows being the worst. No pain though - and the physio's view is that painless clicking is normal for some people.

• Like 1

My dd is always cracking her knuckles - she says her hands ache if she doesn't do it. She occasionally gets it in her ankles as well. We mentioned it to a physio once, who said that a lot of dancers are like that, and it was nothing to worry about.

• Like 1

Well i started clicking my knuckles,ankles,elbows,knees and spine when i was about 8 or 9 .Don`t know if it coincided with me starting ballet lessons. I am now 44,haven`t danced a step for over 20 years, and every day, several times a day i click like a proper mad thing.!! I would stiffen up completely and be in such pain if i didn`t . Especially my spine.When i wake up,when i`m still lying down, i very gently twist my spine.It clicks the whole way down and feels great. If it ever started hurting or causing other problems, i would stop.

• Like 1

I remember in Margot Fonteyn's autobiography she mentions that her hip would make quite a loud "plop" and when it did she felt better.

My DD during a growth spurt tends to get this where her hip wont move as though it has popped out, she then adjusts it with what is described as putting it back into place with a loud ploppy sound and then she can move it again quite comfortably without pain. Someone at her ballroom class told me that it can be hypermobility that can cause clicking, I am not aware my DD is hypermobile just flexible.

Ax

My Dd clicks all the time too - raises her hands over her head, leans back and her back clicks all the way down...she also clicks throughout her arms and shoulders just moving normally, none of this causes pain.

I spend long periods at my PC and I usually need to clicking lower back before ballet, to get my nose on my knees in a port de bras - hmmm it's a nice click :D

OH does the freaky end of the finger thing :D ewwwwww!