Who would go to watch EYB shows?

I know that there are a few parents and dancers of EYB here. We're involved with the Stevange show this year.

I was wondering what kind of people go (or would go) to see such shows other than family & friends?

They seem to be putting some effort into publicity - in the press or posters up around the place, but I'm wondering how effective this could be?

So if I'm not involved personally and I see a picture in my local rag of a couple of pretty ballerinas from the local school who are appearing in a show in Stevenage (perhaps 45mins drive away), would I really think "oh, that's interesting - let's book some tickets"? Seems like a tough sell to me.

Or maybe there are a hundred or so unrelated ballet fans living in Stevenage who need reminding that it's coming soon? My guess is that they're probably regulars at the Gordon Craig.

I wonder if there should be someone on the door trying (asking nicely, of course!) to build up an emailing list.

The other thought is that promoting it in the schools of those involved could be a moderately rich vein - teachers and classmates would have some interest. However, my DDs sometimes seem to behave as though they'd rather nobody came to see them perform (at least nobody they know - the idea of teachers coming to see them would be mortifying!). Is this common?

Obviously this is not confined to EYB, but many provincial shows of all types.

BTW - a lot of pointe after a poniteless summer has brought much pain and suffering. May take a couple of ice buckets in the car for pickup this evening...

We would have done so, if we still lived in the area. The Gordon Craig is not good at advertising. I only found out about the EYB being there by accident some years ago. It was only because some teenagers from our dance school were in it.

The dsncers from the local balletcoforum school type public is more geared to their dance schools I think. It keeps their local teacher onside & more likely to encourage her to promote future EYB productions to her students as its good publicity for her dance school.

EYB is on at my local theatre in a couple of weeks. We probably won't go due to time constraints but found here there is a culture amongst dancers, parents & teachers of going to support both this type of thing & other local dance school shows.

DD performed in Swan Lake with EYB in Oxford, and we ended up sitting next to a couple who were on a sightseeing weekend break. They'd walked past the theatre, seen it was on and booked tickets. They really enjoyed the performance.

I wonder how many people go sightseeing in Stevenage?!

• Like 1

I wonder how many people go sightseeing in Stevenage?!

Probably as many as go sightseeing in Aylesbury! Both times dd did EYB there, the theatre was packed - not just family but regular balletgoers plus a lot of little children seeing their first ballet. I expect seeing a production with children in makes it more user friendly for little ones - and the Adult principal dancers are so good they appeal to ballet fans.

• Like 1

I took my dc when they were too young to be involved when it was on at theatre about hour away, good way to introduce little ones to a full length performance.

Then when dd was in it I found myself in audience surrounded by elderly ballet lovers just there to enjoy the performance, one lady said she looked forward to EYB as the joy of the performing children and the audience atmosphere was a real lift.

• Like 1

I agree not much sightseeing in Stevenage but we will certainly be going to watch :)

When DD has done EYB before there has been a mix of people watching. The receptionist at the premier inn that we were staying at booked a performance for a Mother's Day treat which was nothing to do with a bunch of girls staying at premier inn as she had booked the tickets in advance of them staying.

It's possibly a mix of theatre goers, ballet fans, people who enjoy children's dancing apart from the cast friends and families.

I've known quite large groups from academic schools come to watch and support one or more of their pupils

Have you got the job of putting posters up somewhere? :)

Ha! I spent the first 18 years of my life in Stevenage and I'm going there today to take my mother to the fracture clinic at the Lister Hospital. There's not a lot of sightseeing to be done although there are a few places of interest in the vicinity eg Knebworth and Hatfield Houses and Verulanium. It might be worth putting up posters in the High Street (eg Waitrose if there's wall space) as well as the new town. Is it worth sending flyers or posters to the local dance schools? There used to be a dancewear (combined with, I think, party supplies) shop in the High Street but I don't know if it's still there.

It's gone, Aileen. It went some years ago. I believe it relocated to the indoor market but I don't know if it exists anymore. There isn't a dance shop in Lincoln (Boo! Someone start one, please!) but Dancing in the Street is about 20 miles away and most dance schools stock their own range of uniform and shoes these days, I have noticed.