When to choose a soft or super soft shank?

beckyl

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Becky, I hope I am not being too blunt but I cannot see the point (pardon the pun) of trying things just in the hope that they will work.  After all, pointe shoes are not cheap as you have said yourself.

It will probably be much cheaper and less stressful in the long run to miss half a term of pointe and work on everything else.  Make appointments now to see the fitters Anna has recommended so that you are not disappointed nearer the time.

Absolutely, not blunt at all! I agree with you. I have had three visits to the local fitter and came up with nada.

Anna, can you call and request a specific fitter at Freed? So I could say 'I would like to come on X, Y or Z date but I absolutely need to see Beth or Sophie?'

Can anyone recommend a good fitter at Dancia in London (I have had a bad experience in a non-London Dancia in the past?)

BUT... something very unexpected has happened! I had been talking very extensively with the Gaynor fitters for the past few weeks. Initially I'd tried a lot of sizes in Gaynors: originally they suggested a 7.5 N #3 in a sleek. I couldn't get my foot into the shoe and I assumed it was the box! So I tried a 8.0 M #4 in sleek. Heels did not stay on. Same for an 8.5 and a 9.0 and my toes were crushed. #4 box, really bruised toenail... anyway... the fitters persuaded me to give the #3 box one more try because from looking at the box and pictures of my feet that in toe configuration (despite very wide feet!) are actually an Egyptian/tapered foot. So I tried a 10 N #3 box sleek thinking I wouldn't get my foot into it at all- but I did! AND the box was not crushing my toe at all! They were unfortunately a touch too long so I am trying a 9.5 but... wow. The box shape made such a huge difference!

(which incidentally, my local fitter doesn't really seem to regard. It's just like 'oh, try every shoe!' including some VERY square models such as the Bloch Aspiration.)

So after swearing off Gaynors (OMG, THEY HAVE SUCH A LOW PROFILE, THAT'S WHAT GAVE ME THE BRUISED TOENAIL NEVER AGAIN!) I realized that I MIGHT be being tried in a wrong shaped box and that is what is making this huge difference.

So that was kind of like an epiphany too. I think you are all right, I need to try a different more experienced fitter that is more open to a range of brands, and/or really experienced.

You can certainly phone and ask if it's possible to make an appointment with Beth or Sophie. One or other of them has always been instore when we've been but they are very busy so best to check.

Incidentally, what street size shoe are you, if you don't mind me asking?

Well... it depends. (Another slightly difficult factor.) TECHNICALLY on a Brannock device I am a size 3 1/2 (though I have never fitted my foot into this size shoe!) So in somewhere like Clarks I take a 4 size ballet flat style shoe. In other shops sometimes a 4 1/2 but I just bought some ballet flats in Topshop that are a 5. In boots I am always a size. In Ugg Boots I take a size 6.

I was fitted in a 5 1/2 in a Grishko. In Bloch though, I'm tending to come up as a 6(?) This is with a thin, junior ouch pouch.

Gosh. That's a big range of sizes. I double checked the Gaynor Minden site and as I thought, a 10 in GM would be a 6 and a half street shoe size: https://dancer.com/about-gaynor-minden/about-our-shoes/gm-fitting-info/

I know it was a bit long but even a 9.5 is a 6 in UK sizes. I'm really surprised there is such a size difference between your Clarks size and your size in Gaynors.

Were you wearing ouch pouches in the Gaynors when you tried them?

BeckyL, have you asked for advice on Ballet Talk for Dancers pointe shoe forum? You need to take a range of photographs of your feet (there's a Sticky post telling you what is needed), and the forum is American, but the pointe shoe experts there seem to be VERY good.

Mods, I hope it's OK to recommend another site for this specific purpose?

• Like 2

Anna- 10 is too big but a 9 was literally crushing my toe! Even stood flat my big toe was absolutely jammed against the platform (even without ouch pouches.) Yes,  tried ouch pouches in the Gaynors. Also the full sockliner REALLY helped with the slight bagginess, they fit really well width wise!

Kate- I have (but not for the foot pictures because I believe you can only request help from one mod.) They suggested the Grishko Fouette (which I tried but didn't like, without a drawstring they didn't fit at all,) Russian Muse (I have some on order, they should be here soon) and Suffolk Solo/Light.

Just been rereading through this thread and the advice you have been and one thing that occurs to me is you say you are studying IF but have you got an exam date yet? When my dd was studying IF her teacher was of the opinion that if she had built up the strength in her feet and knew the pointe exercises securely in Demi pointes she could safely leave getting her first pair of shoes until she was entered for the exam.

Have you been given strengthening exercises by your teacher or a physio? Have you read The Pointe Shoe book for advice?

Maybe this term would be well spent learning the exercises in Demi pointes, strengthening foot exercises and then planning a day in London at half term to have a fitting in every shop. Would also give time for any bruised toe nails to heal as everything will feel uncomfortable if you have the slightest bruise.

• Like 2

Well, for someone who never has been, and is never likely to go, on pointe, this thread has been a real eye-opener!  I knew it was difficult getting pointe shoes fitted, but really didn't think it was quite this difficult!

Jane's suggestion immediately above sounds very sensible.  I imagine that half-term would be very busy, so in my inexperience it sounds to me that the sooner you get those appointments made the better - and I would think leave yourself plenty of time, because you really don't want to be rushed about this.  Ladies, is there anything else beckyl needs to do in advance - things she needs to note down, things to bring with her (I see the unsuccessful shoes have already been mentioned)?  Does she need, for example, to warn either shop if she's expecting something distinctly out of the ordinary, or do they always carry everything, in every conceivable size?

• Like 1

I would suggest when going for the fitting take convertible tights and the padding you normally wear plus any shoes that you have issues with. Avoid lots of walking before the fittings so plan to get across London and straight into first fitting, expect to take at least an hour in each shop. Expect the fitter to give you 100% attention and not to be distracted by other customers. Also expect them to fully examine your naked foot before suggesting styles.

Although you have had problems with certain styles go with a totally open mind, tell them honestly how each shoe feels on your foot but don't go in listing what you think you need to be adapted at this stage. The senior fitters know their stuff and I've been amused when they have picked the first pair off the shelf for dd that she has felt were perfect but then have suggested trying other sizes just incase for her to settle on the first tried on whilst a huge pile of pointe shoes have built up around us.

Alison the shops don't hold every style in every size, width and hardness combination but they generally hold enough so they can between different shoes work out what combination will work for you even if they have to order in a shoe.

Don't sew ribbons or elastics onto the shoe until your teacher has checked they are correct for your foot.

And ask the fitter how you should break the shoes in. Bloch have a couple of different methods depending on shoe. In the past dd used to wear slipper socks over new pointe shoes and wear them around the house, walking on Demi

pointe when they were warm enough until she could rise up satisfactorily.

Don't buy anything not sure about. If you feel you find perfect shoe in first shop ask them to put them aside for you until you have had other fittings.

• Like 5

Excellent advice Jane. I have nothing else to add except to reiterate asking about breaking in shoes. If you get to see Beth or Sophie in Freed then absolutely trust them - they fit professionals from the Royal Ballet among others - and ask for their guidance in what you should or should not be feeling.

I appreciate that you are an adult and can of course tell when your toes are being squashed, for example, but without wishing to be blunt, you are a self confessed beginner on pointe, and having not found the right shoe after all these styles, I'm wondering if you are perhaps expecting too much of a new shoe - and if you know how exactly it should feel? Hence my query about your local fitters who don't seem to be explaining this to you, or the difference between a new shoe and a broken in shoe, for example. There's no shame in that - there's a lovely video on Youtube about - I think - Megan Fairchild, soon after she joined NYCB, being taken aside by Wendy Whelan who said "we need to fix your shoes". WW could obviously see by looking that the shoes were close enough but needed some breaking in and slight adjustment.

Some dancers never find the absolute perfect pointe shoe, but with proper guidance it shouldn't be THIS difficult. Let those Senior Fitters help you.

• Like 7

Well, I'm procrastinating over here in the US and came upon this thread. Becky, having worked with you to find dance classes, I am concerned about you now! As you know, I also teach, including pointe classes, and help with fittings.

First, I'm concerned that you are on pointe so early in your lesson career. My students, adults and teens, need to have mastery of a deal of ballet steps, a strong ability to balance, to do strong single (and fairly consistent double) pirouettes, etc etc etc.

Secondly - if you've been on pointe for less than a year, there is no reason to have more than one, or maybe two, pairs of pointe shoes. Pointe is not comfortable. It can be made more comfortable, especially with experience and strength, but it's just not easy. When the shoes are new, even if they are soft shank, they are HARD. And they are supposed to be. I'd never put a beginner in a soft shank. Often the first shoes are not "the one" and that's actually okay - if they are well fit in general, you learn a lot about pointe going through them, getting them fully broken in (it's only when they are fully broken in that they start to really work the way they should), etc… and then you learn a lot about your feet. I'd be very hesitant to put someone in a special order shoe at your status in the process. Get a good fitting in a stock shoe, work with the fitters on padding, and then… listen to your instructor, and go for a few months or a year and really fully break in the shoe.

You may need to figure out better ways to work with your feet and toe shape. If your feet are extra sensitive, pointe is going to hurt. You NEED to feel the ends of the box, the floor, etc. You can change the drawstring in any shoe to be elastic, and you can sew the heel material up and work with elastics in different ways. 

• Like 7