Carlos Acosta Farewell Tour

A bit of googling has found the following dates for Carlos Acosta's Farewell tour:

03-04 May - Nottingham

06-07 May - Birmingham

10-11 May - Southampton

13-14 May - Salford

Details from the Lowry website:

After an unparalleled career as one of the world’s most iconic male ballet stars, Carlos Acosta presents his final classical ballet programme.

From humble beginnings in Cuba to performing on some of the world’s biggest stages, Carlos Acosta has had an incredible career. He has played many of ballet’s most iconic roles including Prince Siegfried in Swan Lake, Basilio in Don Quixote and The Prince in Nutcracker. He has worked with some of the world’s leading ballet companies including Ballet National de Cuba, The Royal Ballet, English National Ballet and Houston Ballet, written two novels and appeared in two feature films.

For his final UK tour dancing classical works, he performs experts from his favourite ballet repertoire alongside an incredible cast of dancers from Cuba, with a full live orchestra.

Read more at http://www.thelowry.com/event/carlos-acosta1#dfHpmg2dHvE4e27c.99

• Like 2

It would be advantageous to have a clearer idea of exactly what is on offer. Dancers from Cuba could mean a rare chance to see some wonderful classically trained dancers who may become major stars in the future. Alternatively they could be some folk dancers which I would find less compelling.

I think i'll keep an eye on this one before I decide whether to book.

• Like 1

Yes, I may hold off booking too, until there is more detail. According to the blurb, Carlos will be performing 'experts' from his favorite ballets. So, think of all the ballets with an expert in them and away you go! 

Thank you to Janet for the seating info. I do like to be slightly elevated depending on the venue. I nearly booked for a show at Nottingham yesterday. I made my selection and then a notice came up saying I couldn't have that seat as it would leave a single seat at the end of the row in this case.  Is that normal practice? Surely some people go to the theatre on their own. I do. I have never been told I can't have a similar seat at the Coli or ROH for example.

I didn't book in the end as I couldn't be bothered to go through the selection process again.

"For his final UK tour dancing classical works, he performs experts from his favourite ballet repertoire alongside an incredible cast of dancers from Cuba, with a full live orchestra...."

He "performs experts"?? That sounds interesting.... :)

• Like 2

Yes, I've had similar experiences at a number of theatres - it is discrimination against individuals (and possibly odd numbers if say there are 4 seats and you want to buy 3).  Sometimes if you telephone the box office they will sell you the single ticket you want...  I stress sometimes...

• Like 1

I nearly booked for a show at Nottingham yesterday. I made my selection and then a notice came up saying I couldn't have that seat as it would leave a single seat at the end of the row in this case.  Is that normal practice? Surely some people go to the theatre on their own. I do. I have never been told I can't have a similar seat at the Coli or ROH for example.

I've had it several times with the old Sadler's Wells booking system.  I'm not sure whether the new system does it as well.  It's highly annoying - but then I guess that singletons are so used to being discriminated against that it may not even register any more.

I've had it several times with the old Sadler's Wells booking system.  I'm not sure whether the new system does it as well.  It's highly annoying - but then I guess that singletons are so used to being discriminated against that it may not even register any more.

Alison, please see my post above. I really don't think that there is any discrimination happening here. On certain websites for certain theatres no bookings which leave only one seat unoccupied.are allowed.

The Hippodrome website asks you not to leave single seats if to can avoid it but I have never been refused booking a single seat. I can see the point of asking people not to book a block of seats leaving a single one if you could simply avoid this by shifting your request one along. However, refusing to sell seats for this reason is just plain wrong.

• Like 4

I too will hold off booking this until we have clearer info on the rep - I have never been so embarrassed as the night I took a friend to see the wonderful Carlos Acosta at The Lowry only to find he performed his Cuban stuff needless to say I was mortified and friend was none too impressed!  If it is standard rep then I probably will go.

Yes I have had the do not leave a single seat as well - it is a real pain but usually if I phone up it is OK. 

I really don't think that there is any discrimination happening here. 

I never said there was :)  I just mentioned that there's so much discrimination against singletons that it's probably like water off the proverbial duck's back.

• Like 1

And here is the official announcement:

Sadler’s Wells announces 2016 UK Tour Dates for Carlos Acosta’s A Classical Farewell

“Charismatic Acosta is one of the very best dancers of his generation. He has only to stand still on stage and all eyes are drawn to him. Evening Standard

Sadler’s Wells presents world renowned dancer Carlos Acosta’s A Classical Farewell, at the Royal Concert Hall Nottingham (Tuesday 3 & Wednesday 4 May), Birmingham Hippodrome (Friday 6 & Saturday 7 May), part of the award-winning International Dance Festival Birmingham 2016, Mayflower Theatre, Southampton (Tuesday 10 & Wednesday 11 May) and The Lowry, Salford (Friday 13 & Saturday 14 May).

Following his performances at the London Coliseum from Tuesday 8 – Saturday 13 December 2015Carlos will take his popular format programme featuring a new selection of classical works across the UK in celebration of twenty-six years as a professional dancer on the international stage. This marks the last opportunity for regional audiences to see him dance classical ballet repertoire.

Sadler’s Wells Artistic Director Alistair Spalding said: “Carlos Acosta’s unique combination of warm stage presence and powerful technique have made him one of the most admired and loved dancers in the world. His Sadler’s Wells debut in Tocororo in 2003 was a sell-out success. Since then, we have presented many of his shows, both on our stage and at the London Coliseum. I am delighted to work with him again to tour A Classical Farewell, an evening of classical ballet and I hope the many performances scheduled around the UK will offer as many people as possible the opportunity to see him dance ballet repertoire one last time.”

Carlos Acosta has thrilled audiences throughout the world with his breathtaking performances. For A Classical Farewell Carlos has put together a programme with guest artists from Cuba, presenting some of his favourite pieces from the classical repertoire. The evening’s programme is accompanied by the Manchester Camerata conducted by Paul Murphy at selected venues.  

The performance includes a number of the most famous pas de deux from the classical and neo-classical canon. Extracts performed include Kenneth MacMillan’s Winter DreamsMichel Fokine’s Dying Swan, August Bournonville’s La SylphideDiana & Acteon by Agrippina Vaganova.

Also part of the evening’s programme are extracts from Nisi Dominus by William Tuckett and Tchaikovsky's Swan Lake featuring choreography by Marius Petipa.   

Acosta trained at the National Ballet School of Cuba and won the Gold Medal at the Prix de Lausanne (1990). He was a principal with English National Ballet (1991–2), danced with National Ballet of Cuba under Alicia Alonso (1992–3) and was a principal with Houston Ballet under Ben Stevenson (1993–8). He joined The Royal Ballet in 1998 and became a Principal Guest Artist in 2003. Acosta has frequently appeared worldwide with companies including American Ballet Theatre, Paris Opera Ballet, Kirov, Bolshoi and Australian Ballet.

Acosta’s past productions have played to sell-out audiences and have been lauded by critics and audiences alike. In 2007 he won an Olivier Award for Outstanding Achievement in Dance for his performance in his 2006 programme, Carlos Acosta with Guests from The Royal Ballet.

He was awarded the CBE in the Queen’s New Year’s Honours List in 2014 for his services to ballet and is passionate about nurturing and inspiring the next generation of dancers through the Carlos Acosta International Dance Foundation. The award marked the end of a remarkable year which had seen him stage a new production of Don Quixote at the Royal Opera House, release his debut novel Pig’s Foot, which was subsequently named as one of the Waterstone’s Eleven, an annual list of some of the most promising debut novels. This forthcoming season he also choreographs Chichester Festival Theatre’s new production of Guys and Dolls which is due to transfer to the West End at the end of 2015. At the National Dance Awards 2015 Acosta was awarded the De Valois Award for Lifetime Achievement.

Full programme details to be announced.

Co-produced by Sadler’s Wells and Valid Productions

Presented in association with Como No

International Dance Festival Birmingham 2016 is co-produced by Birmingham Hippodrome

Notes to editors

Listings information

2016 TOUR SCHEDULE

To book tickets and for further details please refer to the individual venue websites

Royal Concert Hall Nottingham                   Tuesday 3 & Wednesday 4 May

www.trch.co.uk

Birmingham Hippodrome                                     Friday 6 & Saturday 7 May

www.birminghamhippodrome.com 

Mayflower Theatre, Southampton               Tuesday 10 & Wednesday 11 May

www.mayflower.org.uk 

The Lowry, Salford                                                 Friday 13 & Saturday 14 May

www.thelowry.com

ABOUT SADLER’S WELLS

Sadler's Wells is a world-leading dance house, committed to producing, commissioning and presenting new works and to bringing the very best international and UK dance to London and worldwide audiences. Under the Artistic Directorship of Alistair Spalding, the theatre’s acclaimed year-round programme spans dance of every kind, from contemporary to flamenco, Bollywood to ballet, salsa to street dance and tango to tap. Since 2005 it has helped to bring over 90 new dance works to the stage and its award-winning commissions and collaborative productions regularly tour internationally. Sadler’s Wells supports 16 Associate Artists, three Resident Companies and an Associate Company and nurtures the next generation of talent through hosting the National Youth Dance Company, its Summer University programme, Wild Card initiative and its New Wave Associates.

Located in Islington, north London, the current theatre is the sixth to have stood on the site since it was first built by Richard Sadler in 1683. The venue has played an illustrious role in the history of theatre ever since, with The Royal Ballet, Birmingham Royal Ballet and English National Opera all having started at Sadler’s Wells.

Sadler’s Wells is an Arts Council National Portfolio Organisation and currently receives approximately 10% of its revenue from Arts Council England. 

I believe that the tour will be the launch of Carlos's new Cuban company. This is a group of 24 Cuban dancers, half classical, mostly coming from the Ballet Nacional of Cuba, and half contemporary, all young and very talented. So it is likely to be quite different from the Coliseum programme but probably very exciting. 

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I've had similar experiences at a number of theatres - it is discrimination against individuals (and possibly odd numbers if say there are 4 seats and you want to buy 3).  Sometimes if you telephone the box office they will sell you the single ticket you want...  I stress sometimes...

Well, I have been dawdling over booking but decided to get on with it today, lest I leave it too late. I looked again at tickets for Nottingham and the seat I wanted last time was still for sale, along with the message that I couldn't buy it and so leave a single seat. This made even less sense than last time as now there is a single seat at the far end of the same row, albeit with a restricted view and a single seat in the row behind. I rang the box office and a very helpful chap said he could sell me the single seat I wanted over the phone, I just couldn't buy it online, which probably explains why it was still available. So thanks for the tip. If this happens again, I will just ring the box office. :)

Edited by Jacqueline

• 2 months later...

A friend has just texted me to say that an additional performance has been added at the Lowry on Sunday 15th May at 19:30.

As I had missed my opportunity to book a decent seat and anyway had a clash with something else I wanted to do, I have just decided to indulge and book!

• Like 4