Duchess of Cambridge Visits the ROH

There are numerous articles online and in today's press about this visit yesterday where, among other things, the Duchess watched a rehearsal of The Two Pigeons and spoke with dancers Lauren Cuthbertson, Tomas Mock, Laura Morera, and Vadim Muntagirov - also Kevin O'Hare, of course.

I am not a Mirror reader but this coverage seems to be the most comprehensive: https://www.mirror.co.uk/news/uk-news/kate-middleton-reveals-cute-activity-13865996

• Like 4

Good to see a high profile visit. I hope there will be someone from this generation of royals who will develop a genuine interest in ballet. 

Edited to say, I don’t mean that the Duchess wasn’t genuinely interested, but rather, that someone emerges who becomes a real advocate for ballet.

Edited by Odyssey
  • Like 3

The Mirror's was the "most comprehensive"?  It seems to spend more time on what she was wearing (and what it cost) than what actually happened :(

And I do wish that people would i) use her proper title and ii) stop regarding her as a clothes horse.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Odyssey said:

Good to see a high profile visit. I hope there will be someone from this generation of royals who will develop a genuine interest in ballet. 

And not just ballet - the performing arts don't seem to feature very highly in the Royal's calendars!

Just for the record, I had to hunt in today's Times for anything on the ROH visit and finally found a mention with a small photo at the end of a larger piece concerning the Duchess of Sussex and her 'baby bump.'  Her rig for the day was duly costed in the accompanying text.  By contrast, most of the paper's page 3 was given over to the Alessandra Ferri piece in this morning's Links, with a small bit of comment by Debra Craine.  The Times had also covered Carlos Acosta's appointment with a sizeable photo a couple of days ago.

• Like 5

Some good info on the Duchess of Cambridge fashion blog - I note that Swan Lake costumes were in the workshop I am therefore hoping this is another plus point for Swan Lake featuring in the Autumn of the 19/20 season.  Apparently the workshop begin work on costumes 6 months before performances.   A nice video on the Jewels costumes on the link below too.

http://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.com/2019/01/first-look-kate-visits-royal-opera-house.html

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Don Q Fan said:

Some good info on the Duchess of Cambridge fashion blog - I note that Swan Lake costumes were in the workshop I am therefore hoping this is another plus point for Swan Lake featuring in the Autumn of the 19/20 season.  Apparently the workshop begin work on costumes 6 months before performances.   A nice video on the Jewels costumes on the link below too.

http://hrhduchesskate.blogspot.com/2019/01/first-look-kate-visits-royal-opera-house.html

Thanks for the link - I like the photo of the Queen meeting dancers after the ROH Centenary celebrations in 1958 - I think one of the dancers is Beriosova but not sure of who the other dancers are in their ‘Birthday Offering’ costumes.