Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Ivy Lin

Performances in the U.S.A.

Recommended Posts

26 minutes ago, Douglas Allen said:

Jan,

 

Your reviews are always notable for their generosity of spirit. I have to say, though, that not everyone holds Nixon's production in the same regard.

 

 

Maybe so but audience figures were excellent for this production and I have to say that at the performances I saw audience reaction around me was very positive...

 

And so were reviews from critics often associated with dance reviews:

 

https://www.thestage.co.uk/reviews/2017/little-mermaid-review-mayflower-theatre-southampton/

 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dance-review-the-little-mermaid-at-the-mayflower-theatre-southampton-wzj9vnjqk?shareToken=3c6e4cf2515a53c30a03459aba16347b

 

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/dance-review-little-mermaid-northern-ballet-c9hbcq6gm?shareToken=24012e3674c645e487388a403d7c8412

 

http://www.heraldscotland.com/arts_ents/stage/16113328.Dance_review__The_Little_Mermaid__Festival_Theatre__Edinburgh__four_stars/

 

https://bachtrack.com/review-little-mermaid-nixon-northern-ballet-festival-theatre-edinburgh-march-2018

Edited by Jan McNulty
edited to add some links

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Mermaids must find petit battement quite difficult, not to mention rondes de jambe. Perhaps I've misunderstood and its actually an acqua ballet taking place in a large tank of water and Kimin Kim has been given a sequinned snorkel to wear.

 

Surely only if you have  a limited imagination as to the costuming.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I seem to remember Dance Europe giving NB's Mermaid a very good review, too?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, alison said:

I seem to remember Dance Europe giving NB's Mermaid a very good review, too?

 

Yes, but they are very pro-NB so I chose not to mention that.

 

I’m not saying David Nixon is the best choreographer since bread was first sliced but he has made some (IMHO) wonderful works that deserve a life beyond NB.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Uh, is Ondine (Ashton) considered a mermaid ballet? Because wasn't it pretty successful? And it was one of Margot's favorites.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivy Lin

 

Many thanks for your  blog. As I've been unable to get to New York for the Fall season, I was particularly grateful for your blog as your comments, asI find them, are both balanced and perceptive. (It might, of course, just mean that I tend to agree with them!!).

 

A couple of questions, if I may; do you think the Jared Angle situation is the harbinger of a permanent decline? I ask becauseseveral other people I know have made the exact same point as you and none of them seem sure that it is temporary. I was also really pleased to hear of Reichlen in Diamonds, but I worry that this might mean that she won't be seen again (or at least not as often) as the Tall Girl. Does the interim directorship group have a policy on this sort of thing or does the current confusion mean that nothing is clearcut?

 

Thanks for mentioning Joseph Gordon. I've thought for a while that he's one of the more promising men in the company. Are there any others worth keeping an eye on?

 

Thanks again for the blog - they are much appreciated.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Ivy Lin

 

Many thanks for your  blog. As I've been unable to get to New York for the Fall season, I was particularly grateful for your blog as your comments, asI find them, are both balanced and perceptive. (It might, of course, just mean that I tend to agree with them!!).

 

A couple of questions, if I may; do you think the Jared Angle situation is the harbinger of a permanent decline? I ask becauseseveral other people I know have made the exact same point as you and none of them seem sure that it is temporary. I was also really pleased to hear of Reichlen in Diamonds, but I worry that this might mean that she won't be seen again (or at least not as often) as the Tall Girl. Does the interim directorship group have a policy on this sort of thing or does the current confusion mean that nothing is clearcut?

 

Thanks for mentioning Joseph Gordon. I've thought for a while that he's one of the more promising men in the company. Are there any others worth keeping an eye on?

 

Thanks again for the blog - they are much appreciated.

 

Hi, Jared Angle is a senior principal who in his prime wasn't a virtuoso dancer. He's been cast less and less in recent seasons and it's become a chicken and egg thing -- is he out of shape because he barely dances, or does he not get cast because he's out of shape? He's definitely in the twilight of his career.

As for Reichlen, I think that she might be needed for Diamonds now. I hope she doesn't retire Tall Girl in Rubies but the company now has a liot of tall glamazons so she might be pushed towards Diamonds. 

As for promising men, corps members Roman Mejia (son of Paul Mejia), Harrison Coll and Sebastian Villarini-Velez are probably getting the most attention. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for this posting. It's the best and most balanced summary of the Fall season I've seen. Your comments are really appreciated  and the video of de Luz' final curtain is memorable (not forgetting the useful voice-over when his mother appeared!).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Douglas Allen said:

Thanks for this posting. It's the best and most balanced summary of the Fall season I've seen. Your comments are really appreciated  and the video of de Luz' final curtain is memorable (not forgetting the useful voice-over when his mother appeared!).

 

Thank you! It really was a wonderful farewell.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow - congratulations Ivy Lin, and lucky Bachtrack!

 

I meant to reply about how much I enjoyed reading your NYCB review a couple of weeks ago a really honest review of what sounds like a mixed bag of performances. The Kyle Abraham ballet looks terrific from that clip (and I speak as one with zero knowledge or appreciation of hip-hop). Completely agree - from what I heard - about the Sufjan Stevens score for the Peck, which is somehow offensively bland. 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Wow - congratulations Ivy Lin, and lucky Bachtrack!

 

I meant to reply about how much I enjoyed reading your NYCB review a couple of weeks ago a really honest review of what sounds like a mixed bag of performances. The Kyle Abraham ballet looks terrific from that clip (and I speak as one with zero knowledge or appreciation of hip-hop). Completely agree - from what I heard - about the Sufjan Stevens score for the Peck, which is somehow offensively bland. 

 

 

Thank you! I'm still going to be reviewing dance on my blog simply because I see more dance than I can cover in single performances but I'm really excited for this new gig at bachtrack!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh - one very frivolous question I have about the Peck is: what’s with the tights-over-leotard look? I get that it’s a “rehearsal clothes” thing, but it seems to be particularly popular at NYCB, or at least that’s my perception. (I can’t say I’m an admirer.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lizbie1 said:

Oh - one very frivolous question I have about the Peck is: what’s with the tights-over-leotard look? I get that it’s a “rehearsal clothes” thing, but it seems to be particularly popular at NYCB, or at least that’s my perception. (I can’t say I’m an admirer.)

 

I think it's a practice clothes thing but it became an actual costume in Peck's new work. I've never seen it this way in an actual costume. Balanchine probably would have been appalled -- he was such a fan of the clean leotard look.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

William Forsythe used it in In the Middle, Somewhat Elevated - or is it a different look from that?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should clarify that I meant this look seems particularly in vogue as practice clothes at NYCB: I can only recall seeing it once in photos of class/rehearsals at the RB but quite often at NYCB.

 

 I suppose it’s just what the cool kids there do? 

Edited by Lizbie1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it also makes it easier to change a pair of tights if one rips during practice. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ivy Lin, are you intending to go to Houston to review the new Sylvia? Seems like a lot of fun. And it's not every day that this ballet is revived especially in the USA. I think Mark Morris's version was the last but I don't know whether it has ever been revived.

 

I saw the livestream of the new Vienna production last year but it didn't appeal to me.

 

Keep up the good work!

Edited by stucha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, stucha said:

Ivy Lin, are you intending to go to Houston to review the new Sylvia? Seems like a lot of fun. And it's not every day that this ballet is revived especially in the USA. I think Mark Morris's version was the last but I don't know whether it has ever been revived.

 

I saw the livestream of the new Vienna production last year but it didn't appeal to me.

 

Keep up the good work!

 

No but I am thinking of going to Philly to review PABallet's new Giselle production.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...