Performances in the U.S.A.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thank you, again, for the reviews you continue to produce. They are essential reading for me. I hope your ankle improves.

I love Piano Concerto 2 - it's one of my favourite ballets of all time and I really enjoyed the performances I saw recently, but the costumes!! I've never known a ballet (whether performed as Ballet Imperial or as Piano Conc 2, to be so badly served by so many apalling looking productions. Increasingly I think the only good looking production designs I've seen were the original Berman designs which I saw two or three times too many years ago to think about. 

The women at City Ballet looked pretty good (as a generalisation) but the men still concern me somewhat. Only Gordon and Mejia seem to have stand-out talent. It might be my bad luck in what I've seen recently, but the "senior" men are looking no better than "carefully correct" and hence lack some excitement. Possibly Taylor Stanley may be an exception.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Douglas Allen said:

Thank you, again, for the reviews you continue to produce. They are essential reading for me. I hope your ankle improves.

I love Piano Concerto 2 - it's one of my favourite ballets of all time and I really enjoyed the performances I saw recently, but the costumes!! I've never known a ballet (whether performed as Ballet Imperial or as Piano Conc 2, to be so badly served by so many apalling looking productions. Increasingly I think the only good looking production designs I've seen were the original Berman designs which I saw two or three times too many years ago to think about. 

The women at City Ballet looked pretty good (as a generalisation) but the men still concern me somewhat. Only Gordon and Mejia seem to have stand-out talent. It might be my bad luck in what I've seen recently, but the "senior" men are looking no better than "carefully correct" and hence lack some excitement. Possibly Taylor Stanley may be an exception.

Adrian Danchig-Waring looks pretty good to me. He rdoes get injured a lot though. Agree about some of the senior men. And thanks for the well wishes about the ankle.

• 4 months later...

Thanks so for your fine review, Ivy Lynn.  I was in New York for work and caught two performances of the Episodes programme - plus both Episodes and Peck's stunning Rodeo in their complete run through at the Thursday afternoon rehearsal.  (I could easily have watched the Peck three more times - such a brilliant Company celebration.  Totally invigorating.)  Agree entirely about the Haieff Divertimento - such a special piece.  I hadn't seen it since the early 90's.  Ball and Phelan were magnificent together.  Think Furlan is a very special catch - not to mention Mejia.  Agree heartily too about Kretzschmar.  So exciting to see these relatively new jewels in the proverbial NYCB crown make it glitter afresh.   .... Oh, and Stanley in Opus 19: The Dreamer was, once again, potent .. and has grown into such a fine partner.  

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 1

Also just wanted to mention Victor Abreu in Peck's entrancing Belles-Lettres (which I had not seen before).  This young lad - only newly made a corps member after having been an apprentice - reminded me in many ways of the extraordinary joy of the RB's Joe Sissens - and is already a sublime partner.  He deserves to go far.  For a peek see flash footage here:

Here is Huxley talking about Belles-Lettres .... He has added size to this technical stealth.  He was riveting in this much as he was thrilling in Rodeo.  

Also must mention Sara Mearns who was totally ON (and she can sometimes be off) in the final (fourth) movement of Balanchine's Brahms-Schoenberg Quartet ... one of my all time favourite ballets ... certainly one of my desert island picks ... For moments she burnished my memories of Farrell who was in this when I first saw and fell in love with it ... 

Edited by Bruce Wall
  • Like 2